The Trump Card...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A Democrat saying a president should ask.for funds on Feb 5th? Omg, that is laughable. Three weeks later not even a mention at their debate. It wouldn't have got approved and everyone knows it. Arm chair quarterbacking something here at the end of March now is silly at best.

Reactions: muttly and RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's all fine and dandy, but it needs to by aimed at all involved, not just one side.
I am aiming at everybody who is trying to bayonet their own side. I don't care who they are or what political leanings they have, anyone who wants to apply what we know today to a few weeks ago what was unknowable at the time, they're f'ing morons who are intentionally trying to do harm to other people. After this is all over there will be plenty of time for an autopsy to figure out how to do it better next time. But now isn't the time for that crap.

Reactions: muttly and davekc

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A Democrat saying a president should ask.for funds on Feb 5th? Omg, that is laughable.
It's as laughable as closing the borders up tight on Jan 25th, but looking back it would have been as awesome idea. But nobody KNEW. Everyone had opinions, thousands of them, but nobody KNEW anything. Somebody had an opinion that was right, but nobody knew what that was at the time. And to pretend you can retcon knowledge, and try and use that to score some lame-assed political points, well, I'm going to continue to be as restrained as a can in both anger and language.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I saw a pandemic analyst say that areas that show very little cases may actually have up to 4 times as many. I live in an area that is considered a hot spot. Two surrounding counties have over double what my county has. And my county has 728 recorded cases in about 2 weeks or so of testing. I'm wondering if there are a large amount of stealth cases that are either asymptomatic, light symptoms, or very recently infected that haven't " blossomed" yet and haven't been tested. Before they started testing I wouldn't have guessed there would be so many infected already. So i agree with others that say this virus has been here awhile, but we just recently turned on our radar. (started testing)

Reactions: davekc

muttly

Veteran Expediter

Trump: "The Federal government is not supposed to be out there buying vast amounts of items and then shipping. You know, we’re not a shipping clerk.”

Trump: If we can keep the death toll in the US to 100K, we've done a good job.
I saw a nurse on CNN last night say she would be thrilled if it was 100K. And what she was obviously saying was that considering the number might be a lot higher, that number while tragic, isn't a worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So i agree with others that say this virus has been here awhile, but we just recently turned on our radar. (started testing)
But that's not how viruses work. You don't have a highly contagious virus in your midst for 6 months or a year, and then suddenly notice it, and the reason you just noticed it is because it's been here for a while and is just now getting going.

Which one would you rather have after 30 days?
  1. $10,000 on every day of the month.
  2. A penny that doubles in value every day.
Been here a long time, and finally gets noticed because it adds up, that's the first one.
But a virus is like the penny.
At $10,000 a day for 30 days, you'll have $300,000 at the end of the month.
But a penny today that's 2 cents tomorrow, and 4 cents on day 3, and 8 cents on day 4. Keep that going exponentially, and at the end of the 30 you've got $5,368,709.12.

With viruses, as with the penny, at first the process is deceptively slow. But as the numbers get bigger, they grow so rapidly it's hard for our minds to keep up. This is especially true when you consider that a virus doesn't just double in number with each infection. With the coronavirus, one person can infect anywhere from 1 to 100s of people in one whack. And then everyone of those infected people do the same thing. The number of infections with a virus like this can go from one to hundreds of thousands in just a month or two, which is exactly what we're seeing with this one.

There's a reason computer viruses are called viruses. It's because they are designed to spread just like a real virus, exponentially. And rapidly.

As they say in this WIRED article, "Infectious diseases grow exponentially, not linearly. The number of cases seems small—until they're not, and then it's too late."

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Dr. Birx said that early on she viewed this as another version like the Sars outbreak. Much smaller. She based her observation on the limited information that we were getting out of China.
Dr. Fauci, as well, in late January did not think the virus would take hold in the U.S. He saw this as something in the Asian countries but not here.
So people blaming Trump for not acting earlier...he was listening to his experts that had limited information at the time.

Here is Dr. Birx's comments:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So people blaming Trump for not acting earlier...he was listening to his experts that had limited information at the time.
Poor Jim Acosta gave it his best shot. "Would we be fewer deaths if we had acted sooner? Yada Yada Yada"

Dr Fauci... "The problem with a question like that is you end up with a sound bite that can be taken out of context."

Jim Acosta... "Well, crap. That's what I was after."

I thought it was funny that the press was grilling the doctors, trying to get them to take the gotcha bait, but they weren't biting.
And Trump was watching from the side kind of giggling.

Reactions: RoadTime and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't even know what you're complaining about (other than the generic Orange Man Bad). Are you upset that Trump probably won't wear a mask in public, even through he isn't going out in public? Are you upset with the President because the Surgeon General finally caved and had to walk back his breathtakingly absurd lies about how face masks are ineffective against the spread of the virus and that a mask actually increases your chances of getting the virus? Are you upset that this is going to cause a massive run on masks at the stores?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a perfect world there would be every store and distributer stocked to the rafters with n95 masks, but in the meantime, make your own mask. It's not hard.
I don't even know what you're complaining about (other than the generic Orange Man Bad). Are you upset that Trump probably won't wear a mask in public, even through he isn't going out in public? Are you upset with the President because the Surgeon General finally caved and had to walk back his breathtakingly absurd lies about how face masks are ineffective against the spread of the virus and that a mask actually increases your chances of getting the virus? Are you upset that this is going to cause a massive run on masks at the stores?
Set an example.... wear a mask.

Period.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Set an example.... wear a mask.

Period.
It would be kind of a stupid example to set, though. Trump is living in a viral bubble where he doesn't go out in public, has been tested twice for the virus and he isn't infected, and everyone who comes in contact with him must first be tested for the virus. So there's no reason to wear one, and certainly no reason to wear one to pervert him from infecting others, which is the reason the CDC is recommending them.

Plus, what kind of mask should he wear? If he wears an N95 respirator or a surgical mask, the media will lose their collective minds because he's taking masks away from the health professionals. Should he wear a mask constructed of old Trump Neckties, so he can stand there a look like a tard while muffling through press conferences, giving the people the impression that wearing wholly ineffective masks are a good idea, while giving the press the opening to report Trump is pushing dangerously false information? And, report that Trump is skeered, a fraidy cat, weak.

I think if he's gonna wear a mask at all he should go full-on Trump with it and wear a bio level 4 containment suit (in orange, of course) and talk through a speaker that makes him sound like Darth Vader.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I see a lot of people wearing masks here in Macomb County, Michigan. Not everyone, but more people everyday.
Just in the last couple of days I'm seeing more people wear them. Friday morning in West Memphis I went to Walgreens to pick up some hand sanitizer (haha just kidding, they don't have any) and I got there about 45 minutes before they opened. Forgot about the Central Time thing. So I waited.

There were already more than 20 people lined up waiting for the store to open. I didn't want to go in with that crowd so I waited until they cleared out. They all came out carrying as much toilet paper as they were able (allowed by the store), and then it morphed into carrying paper towels.

But as I sat there and watched the spectacle, I witnessed the horror of of people doing nearly everything these doctors on TV have been saying for weeks as reasons for not recommending people wearing masks. For weeks I've been dismissing the doctors' comments as a load of crap, because, I reasoned, there's no way that people are as stupid as the doctors are claiming.

Turns out, oh my goodness yes they are.

I mostly saw surgical masks, but a few N95 masks You don't constantly fiddle and adjust the mask. I saw people doing that. You don't pull the mask down to talk, then place it back over your face to listen, repeat. You don't wear a mask, then pull it down to smoke a cigarette, then casually put the mask back in place.

With an N95 respirator, you really do have to have it properly fitted, just like the doctors have been saying. But all you have to do is read the instructions that come with the masks to know how to do that. And there are YouTube videos that show how to put them in, fit them, test the fit, and how to remove them (there's a trick to removing them).

There's a little metal strip that goes across the bridge of the nose that must be pinched to form a tight seal at the bridge. I saw 4 people wearing N95 masks, and not a single one of them had pinched the metal strip over the nose. I guess they think it's just for show.

The woman in the picture below thinks that if she wears gloves she can't spread the virus to everything she touches with those gloves. But the funny/sad thing is, her N95 mask looks like a friggin' catcher's mitt on her face. Small animals can get in and out around her mask. She's wearing a Large, and needs to be wearing a Small.

I never thought people would be as stupid as the doctors have been saying, but there ya go, there it is right there.

20200404_214626.jpg

On a completely unrelated but just as serious note...

This woman got stuck in the Redbox. The Walgreens security guard, who is they're too enforce social distancing and purchasing limits, helped the woman extract her arm from the machine.

20200404_215953.jpg

Last edited: