The Trump Card...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Basically, he became dead wood; that's why he got fired. I agree, it's time to bring the FBI back to neutrality; that's the only way a police force can properly operate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think Trump should nominate Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke for FBI Director.
I mean, he's already got his own giant bobblehead.

636233954338672042-C5R4-VmVUAEaqJg.jpg

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Apparently, people think Bill Gates personally writes the code for Windows, and James Comey personally handles all FBI investigations.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Three Observations:

1. Comey's behavior earned the enmity of Democrats and Republicans alike. His dismissal was not inevitable but certainly likely in that context.

2. Trump cannot fire the man who is investigating the Trump administration and expect people to give him the presumption of innocence. While Trump has that presumption under the law, the general public is not so charitable; not when a president fires an investigator.

3. This whole Russia thing is like a deadly toxin floating in the dark. People don't know what it is exactly but sense something is there. Some get too close and get badly hurt or hindered. Comey, Yates and Flynn all got fired. Nunes and Sessions recused themselves. It's just weird. When they go looking, get involved trying to help, or become entangled, that close contact gets them fired or hindered.

I wonder how many other bodies are going to fall as the investigations continue, information is leaked and journalists continue to probe. While some say there is nothing there, I'm inclined to believe something is there. Trump could clear this up very quickly if he advised his people to come forward and cooperate in every way. But, apparently, something is there because Trump is acting very much like a man who has something to hide.

Exactly what is there I do not know. Whatever it is, people who get close to it get burned. That includes Trump supporters and critics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No but Comrade Trump will be sure to pick someone that will bury it

Maybe so, but trying to bury or stop it did not work out well for Nixon. He fired people too, but doing so did not produce his desired result. It increased suspicion and when the facts became known, Nixon was done. If there is something there with Trump and Russia, it will continue to fester and eventually bubble into the open, no matter how many people Trump fires or how many people try to bury the truth.

Trump's critics have fun connecting the dots and filling the space between them with a lot of suspicion and supposition. If there is nothing there, that can last only so long. Trump would be wise to reconsider his approach. He keeps energizing his critics and the investigating entities with his tweeting, firing and other behavior that a sage political advisor would advise him not to do. But Trump, being Trump, cannot help himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

ATeam

Retired Expediter
O boy, IMHO, Trump may be entering the "Nixon Zone"....... maybe a TrumpGate . I hope not.

Only if something real and illegal lurks behind the scenes. We have no way of knowing. I do know the president makes things 100 times more difficult for himself by continually picking at this open sore.

When he focuses on the Supreme Court, the press covers that. When he talks about Korea, the press reports that. When he visits one of his business holdings, they talk about that. When he tours a factory, that is that day's news. It is a mystery to me why he continues to enliven and embolden his critics by doing things that make no public relations sense.

Reactions: skyraider

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
O boy, IMHO, Trump may be entering the "Nixon Zone"....... maybe a TrumpGate . I hope not.
I hope not as well.

As for Comey, his next job will be choosing from a myriad of juicy offers; everyone from Harper Collins to Hustler will be clamoring to do a book deal. That, speaking engagements and possibly a professorship somewhere? Yup, he'll land on his feet

Meanwhile, if Trump needs to sweat, he'll be doing so very soon now

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a mystery to me why he continues to enliven and embolden his critics by doing things that make no public relations sense.
I think he enjoys watching liberals become devout conspiracy theorists.

Without a doubt. It will really go full steam if they bring in a special prosecutor. Will be interesting to watch. Still enjoying watching democrats fall all over themselves in shock at why Comey got fired.

Reactions: Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Still enjoying watching democrats fall all over themselves in shock at why Comey got fired.

I don't enjoy watching anyone suffer in politics. I know there are those in the game for whom part of the game is making the other side miserable but there is the bigger picture to consider, which is the country we are all part of. The more we can exercise civility and decorum in public debate, and the more respectful we can be of each other's views, the better off the country will be. The more we pit one side against the other and commit to making the other side lose, the more stuck the country becomes. The rampant partisanship that now dominates political debate and activity may lead to the collapse of the democracy we still enjoy.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't enjoy watching anyone suffer in politics.
Oh, I do when it's self-inflicted, especially when it's the result of hypocrisy.

When Diane and I were politically involved, we got to know personally a good number of candidates and elected officials of all stripes as human beings. They have their ups and downs, and fears and loves as all people do. Every candidate we knew who lost an election went through an adrenaline crash or, in some cases, into a depression after the campaign.

A presidential candidate who lost once told me of a conversation he once had with another presidential candidate. The first candidate asked the second candidate, who had lost his election many years ago, "When does it stop hurting?" The second candidate answered, "It never stops hurting."

Serving in public office presents unique challenges that people outside of politics are ill-equipped to understand because they don't know what it's like to be in a public office role. The pressures are intense and people with an unlimited number of opinions come at you every day with criticisms and demands. No good deed goes unpunished. It's a tough role to fill. When one crashes and burns, for whatever reason, it is to me a sad event, not something to be celebrated. The country may be better off in one way or another, but the human suffering is no less real and a compassionate response is no less appropriate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Serving in public office presents unique challenges that people outside of politics are ill-equipped to understand because they don't know what it's like to be in a public office role. The pressures are intense and people with an unlimited number of opinions come at you every day with criticisms and demands. No good deed goes unpunished.
Politician, forum moderator. Same thing. :D