the straight truck club

paullud

Veteran Expediter
hey everybody, just wondering if every one is capable of dropping your vehicle height through the air ride? and if you are has it ever got you out of a jam? ours did the other day in philly

You have to be careful doing that because it changes your drive line angles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

gospelriders

Seasoned Expediter
You have to be careful doing that because it changes your drive line angles.

we had one of those gps moments. gps read the elevated train areas as 14ft. which they are as long as you are going trough an intersection, not when you run straight under them.only 13'5 as we found out. as soon as we turned under we started to realize it was way too low. lowered rear bags for a block and got out of there. very thankful no real damage just a small scraping on roof about a foot long.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
we had one of those gps moments. gps read the elevated train areas as 14ft. which they are as long as you are going trough an intersection, not when you run straight under them.only 13'5 as we found out. as soon as we turned under we started to realize it was way too low. lowered rear bags for a block and got out of there. very thankful no real damage just a small scraping on roof about a foot long.

My GPS tried to top my truck off as well but it was a lot more obvious for me because the bridge was at 10'6" and well posted.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I would NEVER trust the GPS to tell me about Bridges, Height etc...too many roads get paved, and all sorts of stuff, I always look for that sign saying what the overpass is, and then I look at the road to see the FOOT of asphalt thats been added over the years...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
OK Straight truckers, wheres you best place to get the oil changed, what kind of oil do you use, and what brand of filters do you use.....who rates best for Oil Change service, Speedco, etc.....Service comments....Im going to be needing the oil changed soon on the truck.....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OK Straight truckers, wheres you best place to get the oil changed, what kind of oil do you use, and what brand of filters do you use.....who rates best for Oil Change service, Speedco, etc.....Service comments....Im going to be needing the oil changed soon on the truck.....

I use Rotella. As far as filters, I've been told by a few mechanics that the no-name ones are just as good as the CATs, except that they cost a fair bit less. Speedco is a decent place. But since I had been running Canada, I just get it done at the shop close to home.

gospelriders

Seasoned Expediter
we use delvac and go to speedco most of the time.
on another note, this has been one of those weekends that makes you glad you get to do this job.we were able to make a couple of stops along the way to our pick up(2 free days)wisconsin dells for a jet boat tour and mall of america for some amusement park stuff and meeting with some family.:cool:

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
When I was a semi O/O I used Rotella oil and MotorKote because it doesn't change the viscosity of the oil. Total Fleet Service in Ft Wayne, IN for anything (one of the few places that jack up the steer axle to lube) and the labor rate was decent. Rte 30 in the North American Van Lines lot.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was a semi O/O I used Rotella oil and MotorKote because it doesn't change the viscosity of the oil. Total Fleet Service in Ft Wayne, IN for anything (one of the few places that jack up the steer axle to lube) and the labor rate was decent. Rte 30 in the North American Van Lines lot.
Yeah I like that most places dont know that if you dont take the weight off the front wheels the grease doesnt get past the fitting

Kristi

Active Expediter
Hey hey hey everyone... its been awhile but...
Anywho back on the road after 2 wks off. Were only planning 1 wk but we had some stuff come up. Sooooo here we are. Got a good load to start back up too. Hope everyone is having a good week and we'll keep our eyes open for y'all.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Hi everyone, doing st8 truck wannabe research. Looking for ballpark answers. Roughly how many miles would I run solo in 3 weeks time and what kind of pay would be reasonable working for a fleet owner? I have a class A CDL with hazmat and live 20 minutes from the T/A in Russell, IL.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The miles you run as solo depends on the carrier you decide to go with IMHO. Most owners I've seen offer 60/40 but very hard to find one that allows a solo because more miles=more money when you are on a flat rpm.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I talked to a guy with Indy expedite a while back and he said they take solos and are company trucks BUT they are equipped with coffin sleepers.

If you can adjust to that there is a possibility. Also just apply to the carrier of choice and get on the list for an owner to contact and take your pick of the ones that call and seem to offer the best deal for you.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotcaal

Active Expediter
im starting a straight truck club thread.......... who's in??
i been driving a straight truck for 7 yrs now.....
almost. and i mean came very very close to being in the van club.. but ...... i chickened out..
i like my space way to much...inside the cab/sleeper bunk then a parking space.
No offense van drivers. :)

i agree, ive done both with the exception of not having to stop at weight stations in a CV which is nice.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Anybody see some great stuff at the Expo, new builders, new Ideas, Im interested, whats the norm, the custom...APU's, Power systems, Tires...Transmissions,,,,and mostly Nat Gas what did you see, hear, whats the scuttlebutt....I had hoped to go to the show but jammed my thumb badly...its not broken but it might as well be...