the straight truck club

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone here a truck with a sleeper conversion box ? If so can I get some tips a friend of mine has a 26' aluminum Morgan and wants to convert 4 ' to a sleeper to save weight I'm handy and am being asked to help him out
Thanks

tknight

Veteran Expediter
No, I'm looking for any info on what people have done to convert a few feet of their current box to a sleeper not add on a premade sleeper
Thanks

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Maverick,
This truck was Immaculately cared for, its runs as good as it looks, the engine has had the oil changed every 12K as well as fuel filters, he has taken great care to prevent ANY truck issues.
I do believe this thing runs very well it strolls fown the highway at 65-70-75 where you can and without downshifting etc. I have gone over it and its just like new....even the mechanic at the oil change place commented as he didnt believe it was a 2007....pretty happy with it so far.....as soon as I install the new dash mounted Satellite Radio and get my CB into the overhead console Ill be all set for some serious road rambling....

TKNIGHT...there was a thread were people were talking about this, are you going to cut your cab and make it a walk in, or install a wall and door to enter from the outside, there are some DOT rules etc Im sure that will have to be followed as far as exhaust, Bulkheads, etc......I think I would approach some Box builders and ask whats legally got to be done and get a quote from them....find a body builder or custom builder, you might talk to the Chrome Shop Mafia guys....Good Luck

tknight

Veteran Expediter
This is not for my truck . I already have a sleeper , it's for a friend of mine, I looked at that page but there are no pics or any other info, was wondering if someone here had done similar on their truck.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
There was quite a few pics on their site. All of the TST lto trucks have those sleepers and I've even seen crew chief building Fdcc ds units too.

I would think a well built bulkhead and sealing it up would be where to start. From there he could customize as he wishes.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Drop in a side door and build a permanent attached wall, seal it all around to prevent any chance of Exhaust etc, install a couple side windows, build a bunk, and install your Fridge etc....the side windows should also work well as escape hatches if needed....depending on how much room you need in your box. As I said in the other post we did that with a semi trailer and when we moved all the sound and lighting gear out we had a ready made bunk house, we ran power from the stage or a generator, installed lighting, and had set up space to cook and eat and relax....install a window mounted AC unit and your set for the trip....

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
9 days out and hit wity a random level one at mm8 scale on my way out of Minnesota. The Federal DOT agent was as pro as it gets very nice fella too, tells me my handwriting is excellent, gives me a perfect score and compliments me and company for excellent CSA ratings...thats a good start.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Ontario, CA East. Only one truck (our's) in the front lot. Did I miss the memo??

Attachments

• DSCN6479.jpg
    DSCN6479.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
Hi.I will buy a st in one month. What do you think is the best company driving solo? I used to drive for Panther and Tristate. Should I try Load 1 or go with small brokers (2-3). I'm asking for rate per mile ,FS and definitely miles per week.Thanks for any input

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Hi.I will buy a st in one month. What do you think is the best company driving solo? I used to drive for Panther and Tristate. Should I try Load 1 or go with small brokers (2-3). I'm asking for rate per mile ,FS and definitely miles per week.Thanks for any input

Where do you live?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Atlanta ga

Ah O.K., I thought I could help but you live in the wrong area.

Per the Fedex C.C. weekly fleet bulletin Fedex is looking to put on solo straight trucks to do regional runs.

The areas they are putting these solo's on are:

IL
IN
OH
KY
MI
WV
Western PA
Western NY

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This question always is asked, WHOSE THE BEST TO DRIVE FOR, well theres a couple hundred drivers and theyll all give you a couple hundred different answers....I say you call the companys, see whose offering what, get it in writing, see if theyll give you what YOU WANT...ask it cant hurt...I wish you well out here....Im enjoying my second career and enjoying the business.....I hope you make money, Have some fun, and enjoy the expediter life.....BUT GET YOUR DEAL IN WRITING, and read the very small print, Know what the deductions are gonna be, dont be caught off guard assuming anything.

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
This question always is asked, WHOSE THE BEST TO DRIVE FOR, well theres a couple hundred drivers and theyll all give you a couple hundred different answers....I say you call the companys, see whose offering what, get it in writing, see if theyll give you what YOU WANT...ask it cant hurt...I wish you well out here....Im enjoying my second career and enjoying the business.....I hope you make money, Have some fun, and enjoy the expediter life.....BUT GET YOUR DEAL IN WRITING, and read the very small print, Know what the deductions are gonna be, dont be caught off guard assuming anything.

I know. But for example for who you drive and how many miles you get per month as a SOLO driver. I know the teams but I curious about the solos.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I just started with this company two weeks ago, so far Ive run a load every day but Sat/Sun...some short, some long, pays good, and its been from top to bottom and in between....Id tell you Im running a huge amount of miles but with better pay MILES isnt always the answer....John Clark always told me RUN SMARTER NOT HARDER....and theres truth to that so dont base your decision on MILEAGE ALONE...they all promise lots of miles, and you start crunching numbers thinking OH YEA MAKING BIG MONEY...then you sit for three days...and it happens, anyone who tells you it doesnt is fibbin....I guess look for a company with a good freight package, steady miles and its up to you to make it work...

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
I just started with this company two weeks ago, so far Ive run a load every day but Sat/Sun...some short, some long, pays good, and its been from top to bottom and in between....Id tell you Im running a huge amount of miles but with better pay MILES isnt always the answer....John Clark always told me RUN SMARTER NOT HARDER....and theres truth to that so dont base your decision on MILEAGE ALONE...they all promise lots of miles, and you start crunching numbers thinking OH YEA MAKING BIG MONEY...then you sit for three days...and it happens, anyone who tells you it doesnt is fibbin....I guess look for a company with a good freight package, steady miles and its up to you to make it work...

With all my respect I asked some numbers...

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
With all my respect I asked some numbers...

I think what others are saying? It's very difficult to throw out numbers, due to freight movement. I've sat in supposed (or proven) hot spots, only to have a potential hot week grow cold. Had cold weeks get hot, sitting in dead zones.

If you've driven for the aforementioned companies and know expedite tendencies (which I'm sure you do).......you can answer the question just as well as anyone's guess. Don't mean to sound callous or indifferent but the scale is too broad from week to week. It's a very difficult question to answer and boarders the impossible, really.

Good luck and hopefully someone can get you close, but most surely the caveat will be added "don't quote me on this".