The Royal Wedding

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
As you may, or not, know the wedding of Prince William to Miss Kate Middleton is all set for April 29 2011 at Westminster Abbey in London.

What is amazing me is the number of Americans who are as gooey about all this pomp & ceremony as we Brits are :D

We are gaining a Princess, but what makes it so interesting for Americans do you think? :confused:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
As you may, or not, know the wedding of Prince William to Miss Kate Middleton is all set for April 29 2011 at Westminster Abbey in London.

What is amazing me is the number of Americans who are as gooey about all this pomp & ceremony as we Brits are :D

We are gaining a Princess, but what makes it so interesting for Americans do you think? :confused:

Why because it is a love story! lol :p I remember when Princess Diana was married to Prince Charles. What a beautiful wedding it was. Needless to say, yes I was one of the masses glued to the tv to veiw the royal wedding. Diana was a true Princess! :)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Why because it is a love story! lol :p I remember when Princess Diana was married to Prince Charles. What a beautiful wedding it was. Needless to say, yes I was one of the masses glued to the tv to veiw the royal wedding. Diana was a true Princess! :)

Hear, Hear

The People's Princess, England's Rose

When Princess Diana died it showed how out of touch the Queen was with the people, if it had not been for the then Prime Minister Tony Blair the Monachy would, in my opinion, have been irretrievably diminished.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What makes it interesting is the media hype about the people, it is big money here in the states to report on people who are actually not that important - like the hollywood royalty.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesn't Prince Harry look an awful lot like the guy Diana was supposedly doing the horizontal bop with?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
What makes it interesting is the media hype about the people, it is big money here in the states to report on people who are actually not that important - like the hollywood royalty.

I will not offence at that remark Greg LOL :D, I know it is hard for any Country that has not had a Monarchy to understand what it is for us to live in a Kingdom with a heritage as long as ours.
:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Doesn't Prince Harry look an awful lot like the guy Diana was supposedly doing the horizontal bop with?

Both William and Harry look so much like their Mum :D it's kind of bittersweet.
Sue: we all grew up with fairy tales and Disney movies, and therefore wanted to be a princess - at least, we wanted the crown & gown part. [And the Prince Charming!;)]
I think Princess Diana seemed kind of overwhelmed, even at the beginning of the romance, and we could identify with that, no matter how common we may be.
Kate Middleton will almost certainly cope better, but she has advantages Diana lacked, not the least of which is hindsight.
I hope this one really does end with happily ever after. :)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Both William and Harry look so much like their Mum :D it's kind of bittersweet.
Sue: we all grew up with fairy tales and Disney movies, and therefore wanted to be a princess - at least, we wanted the crown & gown part. [And the Prince Charming!;)]
I think Princess Diana seemed kind of overwhelmed, even at the beginning of the romance, and we could identify with that, no matter how common we may be.
Kate Middleton will almost certainly cope better, but she has advantages Diana lacked, not the least of which is hindsight.
I hope this one really does end with happily ever after. :)

Thank you Cheri, a very nice post :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey, I'm an Anglophile, lol. All my very favorite writers are British, from Jane Austin to PG Wodehouse, and if you speak with an accent that's British, Irish, or Scots, I'll be happy to let you talk my ear off, anytime.
A very true difference between the [former] Colonies & England is that the English think 100 miles is a long distance, and Americans think 100 years is a long time. :D

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I'm an Anglophile, lol. All my very favorite writers are British, from Jane Austin to PG Wodehouse, and if you speak with an accent that's British, Irish, or Scots, I'll be happy to let you talk my ear off, anytime.
A very true difference between the [former] Colonies & England is that the English think 100 miles is a long distance, and Americans think 100 years is a long time. :D

ROFL that is so true

I couldn't believe the distances one can travel here (Texas, North to South is like running from John O'Groats in Scotland to Lands End in Cornwall - the entire length of the UK LOL) - even though Tony would tell me all the runs he had while I was still in England - it just didn't register until I was out here with him :D

I am from the South West of England - Devon. but with being in the Air Force for a few years I, apparently, now speak what they call Home Counties accent rather than Devonshire - where the "R' is rolled somewhat.
According to a friend in the UK I haven't picked up an American accent ..... yet LOL

BTW ..... one hundred years is a drop in the ocean LOL :D

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the engineers are German, the administrators are Swiss, and the lovers are Italian.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are British, the engineers are Italian, the administrators are French, and the lovers are Swiss.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the engineers are German, the administrators are Swiss, and the lovers are Italian.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are British, the engineers are Italian, the administrators are French, and the lovers are Swiss.

Hey !!
What's wrong with our fish n chips or Roast Beef and yorkshire pud?

ROFL :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In "Notes from a small Island" Bill Bryson hikes from Bournemouth to John O'Groats, and this is how the book begins:
There are certain idiosyncratic notions that you quietly come to accept when you live for a long time in Britain. One is that British summers used to be longer and sunnier. Another is that the England soccer team shouldn't have any trouble with Norway. A third is the idea that Britain is a big place. This last is easily the most intractable.
If you mention in the pub that you intend to drive from, say, Surrey to Cornwall, a distance most Americans would happily go to get a taco, your companions will puff their cheeks, look knowingly at each other, and blow out air as if to say "Well, now, that's a bit of a tall order," and then they'll launch into a lively and protracted discussion of whether it's better to take the A303 to Ilchester, or the A361 to Glastonbury via the Shepton Market. Within minutes the conversation will plunge off into a level of detail that leaves you, as a foreigner, swiveling your head in quiet wonderment.
"You know that lay-by outside Warminster, the one with the grit box with the broken handle?" one of them will say. You know, just past the turnoff for Little Puking but before the B6029 miniroundabout."
At this point, you're the only one in the group not nodding vigorously.
"Well, about a quarter of a mile past there, not the first turning but the second one, there's a lane between two hedgerows - they're mostly hawthorn but with a little hazel mixed in. Well, if you follow that road past the reservoir and under the railway bridge, and take a sharp right at the Buggered Ploughman-"
"Nice little pub" somebody will interject. "They do a decent pint of Old Toejam" "-And follow the dirt track through the Army firing range and round the back of the cement works, it drops down onto the B3689 Ram's Dropping bypass. It saves a good 3 or 4 minutes, and cuts out the rail crossing at Great Shagging".
"Unless, of course, you're coming from Crewkerne" someone else will add knowledgeably. "Now, if you're coming from Crewkerne..."
Give two or more men in a pub the names of any two places in Britain and they can happily fill hours. Wherever you want to go, the consensus is generally that it's just about possible as long as you scrupulously avoid Okehampton, the North Circular in London, and the Severn Bridge westbound between the hours of 3pm on Friday and 10am on Monday, except on bank holidays, when you shouldn't go anywhere at all. "Me, I don't even walk to the corner shop on bank holidays" some little guy on the margins will chirp up proudly, as if by staying home in Clapham he has for years cannily avoided a notorious bottleneck at Scotch Corner.

So, does that make you homesick?:D

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
In "Notes from a small Island" Bill Bryson hikes from Bournemouth to John O'Groats, and this is how the book begins:
There are certain idiosyncratic notions that you quietly come to accept when you live for a long time in Britain. One is that British summers used to be longer and sunnier. Another is that the England soccer team shouldn't have any trouble with Norway. A third is the idea that Britain is a big place. This last is easily the most intractable.
If you mention in the pub that you intend to drive from, say, Surrey to Cornwall, a distance most Americans would happily go to get a taco, your companions will puff their cheeks, look knowingly at each other, and blow out air as if to say "Well, now, that's a bit of a tall order," and then they'll launch into a lively and protracted discussion of whether it's better to take the A303 to Ilchester, or the A361 to Glastonbury via the Shepton Market. Within minutes the conversation will plunge off into a level of detail that leaves you, as a foreigner, swiveling your head in quiet wonderment.
"You know that lay-by outside Warminster, the one with the grit box with the broken handle?" one of them will say. You know, just past the turnoff for Little Puking but before the B6029 miniroundabout."
At this point, you're the only one in the group not nodding vigorously.
"Well, about a quarter of a mile past there, not the first turning but the second one, there's a lane between two hedgerows - they're mostly hawthorn but with a little hazel mixed in. Well, if you follow that road past the reservoir and under the railway bridge, and take a sharp right at the Buggered Ploughman-"
"Nice little pub" somebody will interject. "They do a decent pint of Old Toejam" "-And follow the dirt track through the Army firing range and round the back of the cement works, it drops down onto the B3689 Ram's Dropping bypass. It saves a good 3 or 4 minutes, and cuts out the rail crossing at Great Shagging".
"Unless, of course, you're coming from Crewkerne" someone else will add knowledgeably. "Now, if you're coming from Crewkerne..."
Give two or more men in a pub the names of any two places in Britain and they can happily fill hours. Wherever you want to go, the consensus is generally that it's just about possible as long as you scrupulously avoid Okehampton, the North Circular in London, and the Severn Bridge westbound between the hours of 3pm on Friday and 10am on Monday, except on bank holidays, when you shouldn't go anywhere at all. "Me, I don't even walk to the corner shop on bank holidays" some little guy on the margins will chirp up proudly, as if by staying home in Clapham he has for years cannily avoided a notorious bottleneck at Scotch Corner.

So, does that make you homesick?:D

Absolutely ...... that is brilliant
and worst of it is ...... I think I know the place they were talking about, except its on the left not the right :p :D

Thank you Cheri :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As Tony [and any driver who's ever asked a passerby for directions] can tell you, we get directions like that here, too:
"You know where the tree was struck by lightning last year?" When you say that you don't, they say "That's ok, you're not gonna turn there anyway - keep going till you get to the old Johnson place...":D

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
As Tony [and any driver who's ever asked a passerby for directions] can tell you, we get directions like that here, too:
"You know where the tree was struck by lightning last year?" When you say that you don't, they say "That's ok, you're not gonna turn there anyway - keep going till you get to the old Johnson place...":D

ROFL :D:p:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey !!
What's wrong with our fish n chips or Roast Beef and yorkshire pud?

ROFL :D
Nothing, but it's all rapidly downhill after that. According to the Titanic Awards, the awards given in celebration of the worst in travel, Britain snags the title of "World's Worst National Cuisine." It received 25.1 percent of the first place votes. The USA was a distant second with 10.3 percent. China (3.5%), Russia (3.2%) and Germany (2.6%) rounded out the top 5.

Most of British cuisine is like a crime scene on a plate. From the terribly unappetizing names (spotted dіck) to the horrible ingredients (cow's blood and pig trotters) everything about British food is just awful. Don't get me started on jellied eels (chopped eel boiled in a spiced stock that is allowed to cool and set, forming a jelly, yum) to haggis (OK, technically Scottish).

At the very least, these thoroughly disgusting dishes should have an appetizing name. But the British go the other way, and take ghastly dishes and give them ghastly names to match. Like the Fitless Cоck, which is oatmeal, chopped onion and suet, beaten with an egg, and shaped into the form a chicken and cooked. Scottish Woodcоck is toast served with scrambled eggs and anchovy paste. At least you can giggle a bit before you throw up after eating it, if you can get it down at all. Or a Girdle Sponge. Tasty.

The Brits have this meatball dish made from a pig’s heart, liver and belly. If that one ever showed up on a menu in the States with the original name, the GLBT crowd would have a cow.

Then the Brits also take perfectly good food and give them nasty names as well. Eton Mess sounds like an accident in the bedroom, but it's just strawberries, pieces of meringue and whipped cream. Dean's Cream is another one in the same category. :D

But my favorite is where they take perfectly good mashed potatoes with chives and butter, and call it Clapshot. Because it's always nice to think of gonorrhea at the dinner table. Then again, I suppose gonorrhea doesn't look all that different from Clapshot.

But hey, Clapshot makes a good compliment to a Banger.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nothing, but it's all rapidly downhill after that. According to the Titanic Awards, the awards given in celebration of the worst in travel, Britain snags the title of "World's Worst National Cuisine." It received 25.1 percent of the first place votes. The USA was a distant second with 10.3 percent. China (3.5%), Russia (3.2%) and Germany (2.6%) rounded out the top 5.

Most of British cuisine is like a crime scene on a plate. From the terribly unappetizing names (spotted dіck) to the horrible ingredients (cow's blood and pig trotters) everything about British food is just awful. Don't get me started on jellied eels (chopped eel boiled in a spiced stock that is allowed to cool and set, forming a jelly, yum) to haggis (OK, technically Scottish).

At the very least, these thoroughly disgusting dishes should have an appetizing name. But the British go the other way, and take ghastly dishes and give them ghastly names to match. Like the Fitless Cоck, which is oatmeal, chopped onion and suet, beaten with an egg, and shaped into the form a chicken and cooked. Scottish Woodcоck is toast served with scrambled eggs and anchovy paste. At least you can giggle a bit before you throw up after eating it, if you can get it down at all. Or a Girdle Sponge. Tasty.

The Brits have this meatball dish made from a pig’s heart, liver and belly. If that one ever showed up on a menu in the States with the original name, the GLBT crowd would have a cow.

Then the Brits also take perfectly good food and give them nasty names as well. Eton Mess sounds like an accident in the bedroom, but it's just strawberries, pieces of meringue and whipped cream. Dean's Cream is another one in the same category. :D

But my favorite is where they take perfectly good mashed potatoes with chives and butter, and call it Clapshot. Because it's always nice to think of gonorrhea at the dinner table. Then again, I suppose gonorrhea doesn't look all that different from Clapshot.

But hey, Clapshot makes a good compliment to a Banger.

Just lost my dinner. :eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I haven't been so turned off by something edible since Broompilot couldn't settle on the correct spelling of doughnuts or donuts, and spelled it dognuts. :eek:
I haven't eaten one since.