The real cost of starting in expediting

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Hi
I am back with another what, I have seen those small trucks running up and down the highway. I have had one follow me to the truck stop. What is the real stuff. I know from driving the big truck the cost you hear it all the time in the Tv lounge and at buffet you just to hear about that load that just get away or what you doing in a truck. In my time behind the wheel I have never talk to expediters where do they eat. I was at flyj in Blacksburg,SC and there were two and I was there for five days never seen none of the drivers. I would hear their APU running so you knew someone was at home but no one step out of those trucks. I was in Texas at the at TA truck stop at I-40 exit 74 there was five straight truck and 3 vans still no one would step out and it was very slow with my company I was there long enough to start putting my picket frence. I yet seen any driverm I wonder to you shower or even go to the restroom. I:rolleyes: remember this Tv show from 60 where the dad would leave for work and after 8 years on Tv no one know where he worked or he just sit in a empty room in house I believe that happen to expedite drivers........:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my time behind the wheel I have never talk to expediters where do they eat.... I yet seen any driverm I wonder to you shower or even go to the restroom. :eek:
With the money we make most of us eat and sleep at 5 star hotels. Truck stops are a convenient place to fuel and park. Next time you see a limousine pull into a truck stop, chances are it is headed for "expediters row". How do you think we get to the hotel? I must be off. Tis time for my message at the spa. Good day!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ask for Jackie, she uses those hot stones... and the herbal wrap is great for your pores!

:p

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
You see that sometime in the expedite business sometimes it could be a husband wife team that have no need to go inside the truck stop or sometimes it's just a expediter thing.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
With the money we make most of us eat and sleep at 5 star hotels. Truck stops are a convenient place to fuel and park. Next time you see a limousine pull into a truck stop, chances are it is headed for "expediters row". How do you think we get to the hotel? I must be off. Tis time for my message at the spa. Good day!

One word to comfort and that "refreshed, invigorating feeling" between limo rides... Exfoliating!!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
mbc if you ever make it to laredo the j and ta lots will have plenty of drivers to talk to for a few days. :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya. all this money is a pain though at tax time. currently figuring my write offs. you know i had a little over 6k putting our expedite chauffeur up in motels just so the wife and i could have some alone time in the truck when parked . then theres that pesky clean up bill for 2k when the hot tub overflowed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One word to comfort and that "refreshed, invigorating feeling" between limo rides... Exfoliating!!!

Thanks Sluggo. I just had my very first exfoliating treatment this morning after my sauna. The attendant coated my face with an exfoliating product called Agent Orange, which is very popular in east Asia. After the Agent Orange was removed she scrubbed my face with 000 steel wool. I do feel refreshed, invigorated and that green tinge is gone from my skin.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Hi
I am back with another what, I have seen those small trucks running up and down the highway. I have had one follow me to the truck stop. What is the real stuff. I know from driving the big truck the cost you hear it all the time in the Tv lounge and at buffet you just to hear about that load that just get away or what you doing in a truck. In my time behind the wheel I have never talk to expediters where do they eat. I was at flyj in Blacksburg,SC and there were two and I was there for five days never seen none of the drivers. I would hear their APU running so you knew someone was at home but no one step out of those trucks. I was in Texas at the at TA truck stop at I-40 exit 74 there was five straight truck and 3 vans still no one would step out and it was very slow with my company I was there long enough to start putting my picket frence. I yet seen any driverm I wonder to you shower or even go to the restroom. I:rolleyes: remember this Tv show from 60 where the dad would leave for work and after 8 years on Tv no one know where he worked or he just sit in a empty room in house I believe that happen to expedite drivers........:eek:

Welcome to the "glamorous world" of expediting and "seeing the country". Most of our driving is done at night, but then we wait for a day or 2 or 5 to get back out. Where do we eat? IN THE VAN. Want save money? Buy sandwich fixings, drinks, fruit and snacks at WalMart (tip: be mindful of the fat, calorie, and sugar contents). Gotta save money for those showers, which we do take at Flying J, Pilot, T/A, et al...we usually take those in the middle of the night, when the showers aren't crowded. We go to the bathroom inside those establishments, too. You would see us, we walk the truckstop parking lots for exercise every day, making several rounds. At night we watch DVDs on a laptop PC. We read. We play games on the laptop, catch up on our emails, I update my facebook with my spectacular travel reports. Make phone calls back home. We sight-see when the opportunity allows. We get bored? We move to another truckstop.

Another reason we are hard to see? We're EXPEDITERS. We are stealthy! You never know where we'll show up, but by jingo, we will be there and ahead of schedule, too.

I remember walking the Blacksburg FJ lot 6 times around, 2 days in a row in October.

When we get reeealllly bored, we plot the demise of the world. Had a good one in Laredo, involved bubblegum, plasticene, and Justin Bieber...but dangit, a load came through before I could get into the T/A and buy the Bubble-Yum.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ya. all this money is a pain though at tax time. currently figuring my write offs. you know i had a little over 6k putting our expedite chauffeur up in motels just so the wife and i could have some alone time in the truck when parked . then theres that pesky clean up bill for 2k when the hot tub overflowed.

Put Mr Bubble in the jacuzzi, didn't you? :eek::D