The Puppy Project

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
The crate's a solution when the customer restricts pets. Most of those places have a guard shack, where you can leave a crated co-driver.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cherri,

I got crate at Walmart which folds up when not in use. It is made out of canvas and the dog loves it.

You will not regret getting a dog. I find that she forces me to get some exercize and keeps me alert.

I have had several dogs. My current one is a Wheaton/Poodle mix. She does not shed. However every twig, leaf and branch clings to her coat.

The only problem I have had is that people remember the dog more than me. Have have delivered at Toyota and they know the dog's name, but not mine.

Road Hooligan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Haha - your dog sounds cool, (I think Moot's is a Wheaten), and I don't mind the grooming part, but I'm just wondering: when is the crate not in use? Don't you have it available for the dog all the time?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After quite a few dogs over the years (Dachsunds, Labs, Bulldog, Greyhound, Min-Pin) the one that stands head and shoulders above the rest is the current miniature Poodle. She isn't yappy, doesn't shed, practically housebroke herself and has near-human intelligence. However, the absolute worst dog we ever had was a Yorkie-Poodle mix my wife got several years ago. Maybe it was just the Yorkie in it, but that experience turned us against the Poodle mixes. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Poodles - good luck with your search.

Attachments

• Mimi Christmas.jpg
    Mimi Christmas.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When we were driving we had two Poms. Great to travel with. One has since died, but the other loves to ride. Nice and small and don't take up a ton of space. Smart and easy to train as well.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I learned the hard way young dogs need to be in the crate when not under direct supervision.

First dog was a female under 1 yr that proceeded to eat my couch one day.

The other was an under 1yr Male that completely tore apart my neighbors brand new backyard landscaping. Pulled up and chewed up every flower and shrub they planted earlier that day. Caused many hundreds of dollars in damage! That was the one and only time he ever got out of the yard. (still don't know how he did it) All I can figure is it was the smell of the manure triggered some kind of temporary psychosis.

I'm just glad the dogs didn't hurt themselves. My next dog will have a crate for sure.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Okay Cheri,

This is the last time I weigh in on the puppy project. The other benefit of having a dog is that they can keep an on on the C-Link and respond to dispatch offers while you're driving....:) Here my "doggy daughter" Cajun Gypsy is ready for Christmas. (She's a lot less demanding then my "human" kids and actually loves to work! And yes, I'm a manly man in most ways, but I do hang my dogs' filled stockings in the truck. It just gives it that holiday feel. On behalf of Gyspy, Chewy, Vinny, and Morgy the Cat, Merry Christmas to all my fellow expediters, all truckers, and wannabees! Stay safe on the road, and enjoy the family!

Prescat

Attachments

• gypsy trucking.jpg
    gypsy trucking.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 12

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I have a full bred Shih Tzu that rides sometimes. He's full grown at 15 pounds. I suggest finding a good breeder. Choose the dog and don't let the puppy choose you. (Those are generally more dominant.) Our puppy had a litter sister who was totally a yapper, and ours wasn't. He still isn't, and usually only uses his voice if he is having fun playing with toys or me.

Shih Tzus are very companion oriented and if it's a purebred, that breed nature can be pretty intense. So a mix might be good. They are also fairly low energy, so although they do need exercise, they don't require as much walking and running as, say a Jack Russell Terrier.