The Puppy Project

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've decided that I CAN share the sleeper with a companion - as long as it's a canine. I've owned and trained several dogs, but all were too big to consider in a truck, so I'd like some feedback to help me choose the right breed of codriver. I know a lot of you have dogs, so help me out please: what should I look for, and what should I avoid?
PS "Yappy" dogs need not apply! ;)

aileron

Expert Expediter
I've decided that I CAN share the sleeper with a companion - as long as it's a canine. I've owned and trained several dogs, but all were too big to consider in a truck, so I'd like some feedback to help me choose the right breed of codriver. I know a lot of you have dogs, so help me out please: what should I look for, and what should I avoid?
PS "Yappy" dogs need not apply! ;)

I have a Bichon Frise, white, small, but not too small like a cihuahua, does not shed, very friendly, very good companion.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Ferret. Stuffed and plush (dry clean only), came with my new phone from Telus.

I call him 'Critter Ted". Never complains, cheap to feed and no sh*t or shedding.Fits in a cupholder to boot!

People look at me strange when I pet him or talk to him, usually they back away slowly.

Dunno if there is a cell phone co. in the US offering the same kind of deal with a dog.....

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Cheri,

Not to be one sided, but I don't think you could ask for better companion than a ****er Spaniel. We have had several dogs in our lifetime both big and small. But never have I experienced the affection and Intelligence of our ****er Buddy.

****ers do require being groomed periodically but do not shed.
They are big enough to make someone think twice before entering your truck, but light enough to pickup and put in the truck if need be.

Our ****er has always been ready to play when you are ready, and ready to cuddle up and sleep when you are ready to sleep.

Our Buddy is 14 now and still in great shape. But is starting to lose his hearing a little. (I told him not to lie next to my guitar amp when I was jammin')

Just my input,

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sorry, Piper, but a stuffed anything won't do, I already have a moose! :)
Aileron: the Bichon is an adorable little fluffball, but according to the pros, is one of the highest maintenance dogs alive, can be yappy, requires 30 minutes a day of brisk exercise, is notoriously hard to housebreak, and shouldn't get wet - sounds like a Gremlin! I don't think I wanna go there....But they are awful cute!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Danny: I'm seriously considering a ****apoo (****er/poodle) if I can find a small one - I like the combination, so far. I had a CS once (named Smokin Joe:rolleyes:) and he was the stubbornest dog ever - if he didn't want to walk, I couldn't drag him down the street, he'd just plant himself and refuse to move! I know Caffees' Molly is a sweetheart, too, but I'm not sure I want to try another CS.....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I won't even consider anything that eats more than I do. (And takes up most of the bed, too!):eek:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a few pets, I have a lab/pit mix he would never make it in a truck, he's just to nuts and very protective(Barks way to much) also have a Racoon also not good in a truck (to much Maintence) and last I have a Mini Dobie loves to ride in the truck was the easiest dog I have ever House broken and has never barked in 2 years. don't know why he just won't bark.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have a few pets, I have a lab/pit mix he would never make it in a truck, he's just to nuts and very protective(Barks way to much) also have a Racoon also not good in a truck (to much Maintence) and last I have a Mini Dobie loves to ride in the truck was the easiest dog I have ever House broken and has never barked in 2 years. don't know why he just won't bark.

Barking dogs do so cause they are afraid,you have to watch the non barking ones,they will do the best protection.Ive had a few German Shephards.When I was a horse trainer,and married,we raised them.THe ones that barked didnt make very good guard dogs,scared of everything.
One of my pet peeves is animals in trucks.Sorry for you pet lovers,but,stopping so they can go to bathroom in snow storm on the side of the road is very very dangerous,and just think of the mess you have to clean up in the truck when they get back in with their dirty paws.In the early years of my truck driving I did take a German Shephard with me,he never got on the bed,didnt bark,and you never had to lock the doors,but what a mess when you let him out to do his bathroom needs in the rain and snow.Oh and Cheri,He loved Big Macs,and ate the scraps from steak dinners,he wouldnt eat dog food lol

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Many of you have seen Molly and her temperament easy going, no barking and loves people. The site does not like her breed but many of you have tried.

Bad Points to Molly and a dog:
· Cannot leave the truck for a long period of time to site see
· If you leave your truck for very long summer or winter you need a generator or leave truck running
· You need shots, heart worm medicine, something like Frontline to protect them all over the United States
· You do end up with more dog hair and need to clean or replace cab filters more often
· When you go to visit family and they do not want the pet you end up leaving them in the truck and run back and forth or you end up boarding them
· Need to have consistent food and water to keep them from getting sick
· You learn to park near grass at all times for walks
· You need to clean their feet each time then get in or they track in everything they have walking in on the parking lot and grass
· In rain – snow – mud all that comes in and you have to dry the dog
· With a dog like Molly you can either groom her yourself or pay to get that done to keep the coat at a manageable length and keep the hair cleaned up around the feet to try and help keep their feet clean
· When getting truck worked on some sitting areas do not allow dogs nor will they allow you to leave them in the truck
· You need to carry lots of baggies to clean up after your pet at customers site or in the truck stops

There is not enough room on this site to write all of the great reasons to have a dog or animal as a companion.

Any one that has a pet out here needs to be aware of all the extra expense and responsibilities you take on having a pet.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Just thought of something Cheri,I'd make a great pet,house broke,loves to snuggle,would bring you your slippers when your tired,do great massages,one fault,would take up most of your bed

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri....
I'm just a little confused here. Every time someone suggests a different breed of dog, you have a valid reason that breed will not suffice. So, I'm thinking that maybe you don't want a dog after all. Despite your protestations, I'm thinking you do want a man. So, here's some things for you to consider before going to the dogs......

Men only have two feet that track in mud.
Men can buy you presents.
Men don't have to play with every man they see when you take them around the block.
Men are a little bit more subtle.
Men don't eat turds on the sly.
Dogs have dog breath all the time.
Men can do math stuff. But then, who really needs a man to do math?
Men don't shed as much, and if they do, they hide it.
It's fun to dry off a wet man.

Hope this helps.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Dogs don't talk, so that is a big bonus tho, eh?
But Cheri, when doing your comparisons.. don't forget about that 'wet dog smell', in the close confines of your truck. Not that the dog would be wet alot, but when you gotta go, you gotta go. If it's a little itty bitty dog, it may not have that wet dog syndrome tho.
Unfortunately, becuz men are of the human variety of dogs, women have more expectations of them. Like buying the correct items when sent to the store with a detailed list, or being able to find a specific item in the cupboard when told its exact whereabouts, or remembering to pass along telephone messages, and stuff. At least with all the inherent faults of a canine variety of dog, the expectations are lower, so they can more easily exceed them. :)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Everything Linder said....

Cheri, you might consider a poodle. Contrary to what most people thing, Poodles don't have to be "yappy" it's a matter of training. Poodles don't shed, but they would need grooming.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cherri,

MY Jack Russel traveled with me for 9 years before he retired. His only problem was shedding. Now I travel with Biddy who is a Woddle,

Woodles are a cross between a Soft Coated Wheaton and a Poodle. She does not shed, and is very good in the truck. Full grown she will probably weigh around 20 lbs.

Good luck with your search. I know you will not regret getting a traveling partner.

Road Hooligan

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Check out a Peekapoo.Kind of a cat/dog mix.They are very content to just spend all day sleeping and cleaning themselves.But also enjoy playing for a couple of hours a day.Had one for 14 years.She was a great truck dog.
Very playfull when given a ball or rolled up sock.Was very shy around people and other dogs. Also never wondered very far from the truck.One or two chicken nuggets and 1/2 a cup of water per day and she was happy.
Also they are so ugly that they are cute.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Cheri,
why not stop at a "No Kill shelter" look at some adult house broken "Mutts". In case that doesn't work I have three horses, two mules along with two dogs I found abandoned on the road a few months apart. If that doesn't work I could lend you a Mule. They're smart, affectionate BUT not house broken.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Hey Cheri, I know about dogs in the truck. I have three of them. (two at a time). Guess what, I love it and you will too. They are loyal and great company, don't mind my (bad) singing, are great security, (many times i have seen crackheads and lizards, look at my front seats and move quickly past my truck), are nice to warm up with in bed if I don't feel like idling or using the generator, and they are healthy. Healthy?? Yep, as I know you are all aware, expediting doesn't always lend itself to the best workout/eating habits. With my dogs, I use my down time to hike. We have hiked everywhere from South Texas to Alabama, Canada to Cali and West coast to east. They love it and it expends energy for them and keeps me in good shape for my age. I love ALL dogs and some people here have made excellent suggestion. Poodles are smart and feisty, and c spaniels are loyal sweet dogs. With that said, I favor medium and big dogs. I'm a fairly big guy, but truck places are rough sometimes, and I love the "back-up" of my dogs. As a female driver, that should be an important "side" benefit for you. I have a German Shepard, (almost 15 now and has been with me on the road for 9 years now after I rescued her from a shelter in N.E/ La.) Great girl, but shepards do shed, and she's big). I also had to buy a ramp for her in her golden years to get in and out. My "Chowranian", mostly chow, not quite as big at 38lbs is loyal, loving, and the BEST watch dog I've ever had. He sits at night in the driver seat in front of the curtain, scoping truck stop action with a nasty look, but isn't a chronic barker, sheds less then the shepard and only wakes me with a bark and a growl, when someone shady gets too close. Finally, I have a pit bull/lab mix, the baby of the group, a Cali rescue and the young one. Great deterrent, although he's the one likely to play with people, (he has shown flashes of a good watchdog learning from the chow). Yes, I have to brush them constantly, and vacuum the truck daily, and keep them up on all shots and health issues. (I would do that even if I didn't need to for crossings), and a couple time a year, I find out AFTER arriving at a gate, dogs aren't allowed on property. I either "schmooze" the guard or use that time to get them groomed, and I do have to use the generator or idle when I wouldn't, but for me it's worth it. So Cheri, go to the POUND, get a nice sturdy, medium, (Non-puppy), that is already "truck-broken", and that dog will love the road, and you too and make a great road adventure companion! Good luck Cheri! (PS, when the truck needs maintenance or cleaning, or I just need a night in a hotel every couple of months, (Red Roof, Motel 6, and LaQuinta all take dogs, and so do many independents nowadays)