the new diesel fuel

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
i really would like someone to explain something to me as on this one i am really confuse ok we all buy diesel and i have noticed on alot of pumps some new sticker saying low sulphur has been removed over the weekend i was chatting with a mate about it in plain simple words what does this mean to me when i fill up my tanks he was telling because of this everytime i fill up i will be required to put in a addivtive is this correct as i have just reasonly had a new / reman engine & for the cost of paying out $18670 i really want this new engine to last for a while or is he wrong in telling me this looking for a answer on this in the mean time i am going back to eat my birthday cake for today
wombat4412 :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
My uneducated gues is that you should check with the engine rebuilder for the proper fuel usage. The new lower sulpher diesel is not to be used in 2007 and newer vehicles but the rebuild probably has components that wouldn't meet the 2007 specs. Just a guess, but you spent too much money to trust the word of your mate or those of us here. Only the rebuilder would know for sure.

Terry

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
well thanks terry
i rang CAT AMERICA inc and i am waiting for them to get back to me will keep you all posted
wombat

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
well cat usa just rang and the new low sulphur fuel will not require additives at the pumps but if you are driving a new 2006 + not wise to put in the old diesel unless it is the low sulphur fuel
wombat

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The fuel we are burning now is the low sulphur. In october I belive it is everywhere will have ultra low sulfur. The reason people are talking about additives in the ultra low sulphur is because it won't be able to lubricate the engine as well. And honestly the man at cat most likely dosen't know a how lot because it's kinda wait and see what happens.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Dave Nemo was talking in depth about this with drivers on the 4th. Here is as close as to what I understand. The fuel for us with Sulpher should and I say should be available to us for a couple more years. The sign is for NEW VEHICLES that the suplpher will hurt the new engines equipped to burn cleaner. The signs are there for 07 and newer models not for 06 or older, I was totaly confused by this sticker the first time I read it, kinda had a blonde thing when I read it do I or dont I put this in than I got more greys after reading it over two or three times.

Now here is what I understand we can run with this low sulpher fuel, but drivers are having problems out West with Heating upwards to 240+ this cannot be good. I hope it does not come to this but it just might, when out in CA fuel in AZ, NV, OR, add just a little in CA as more than half a tank is what is hurting these drivers. It just may be that this is gona be what shuts us all down until the Govt. gets its heads out between its knees.

If your gona destroy an engine why run? No freight moving in the U.S. = ?

If you know more PLEASE LET US KNOW I will not run knowing I am gona hurt my out of Warranty Engine, as if the Warranty is gona do any good anyway this is not a manufactures problem as they built the engines to the standards of yesterday. So be ready to fork out the cash for a brand new engine if you can get one.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I heard a guy talking on the trucking bozo show and he said to get the lubricity up on the ultra low sulphur to add one quart of ashless 2 cycle motor oil for every 100 gallons of fuel. The heat is a problem with the low sulphur fuel and the engines built for it which came out in 2004. The new 2007 fuel and motors are going to be worse, and I've heard in 2010 there will be no sulphur in the fuel at all. Basiclly you are running kerosene. On the heating thing all I can think of is keep those engine fan switches on that should help some.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i think they put that label on fuel pump is to save them alot of lawsuits if the engine should fail because of fuel they said not to use it

here's what i use to treat my fuel acesII, from www.americancleanenergystsyem.com
will take care of fuel problem
want to know more email and will tell you how and where toget

KYoung

Expert Expediter
I'd like to know, what is a person with a new truck suppose to do? Everywhere I have purchased fuel says not to use this fuel in a 07 or newer engine. Does this apply to aux gen systems as well? If it is a 07 or newer deisel engine then would I need a sepatate tank for fuel to run my generator? Where can I get new fuel for new engines? Is the deisel fuel for autos ok? I could just see big rigs pulling up to auto islands to get fuel LOL.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
This is one of the questions I have been asking recently. I have been looking into a new B-Unit, and was going to go for a diesel this time. After reading all of this though, I may just go for a gasser again. Plus, they seem to be about 400lbs. lighter than diesel, so I can get more freight on before maxing out.

This thing has all been handled as a big mystery to the public. Trucks start burning up their ebgines, and we may see a lot of big class action lawsuits.

Jeff

Drive safe!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I got to throw in a few things here.

First thing is that label you see is required by the EPA as of June 1 2006.

Second go here and learn about the new fuel requirements – it also has links to other sites that have information.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml

And this link is a good over view of diesel fuel and refining process.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/documents/diesel_fuels_tr.pdf

Third, I don’t believe a lot of these companies claim that this additive or that additive helps out. I mean simply put the companies that are established, (PS, Stanadyne, etc..) all have been out there with R&D for many years and have products that have been consistent in their quality and performance. I listened to an “expert†about these very diesel fuel issues and he was going on about all kinds of c**p with fuel that was just plain false. I think that one big issue is that the only people who know what they are talking about are the engineers who design the engine and the petroleum engineers who make the stuff.

The lack of Sulfur affects the IP more than anything else. When the reduction in sulfur took place in the late 80’s early 90’s Bosch, Stanadyne and IP companies were well aware of the increase of wear in the IP and came up with solutions. Since that time, this is less of a worry because of new materials, manufacturing techniques and such.

With that all said, the biggest issue that you as an owner will have is fuel mileage. I understand that there is more than just the predicted 4% drop in mileage. I read a report from Ford when they tested their HD trucks that they experienced a 10 to 15% drop in fuel mileage – that is scary.

To answer KYoung’s questions, I would not recommend fueling up at the auto pumps – the truck will take up too much room beside it is the same fuel. And it is safe to use the fuel in your aux generator.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
>I'd like to know, what is a person with a new truck suppose
>to do? Everywhere I have purchased fuel says not to use
>this fuel in a 07 or newer engine. Does this apply to aux
>gen systems as well? If it is a 07 or newer deisel engine
>then would I need a sepatate tank for fuel to run my
>generator? Where can I get new fuel for new engines? Is
>the deisel fuel for autos ok? I could just see big rigs
>pulling up to auto islands to get fuel LOL.

we have 3 1980s era mb diesel autos so this is interesting to me on other levels but let me throw this out from Transportation Topics week of June 5th on the front cover the article says, ..."ULSD is needed for lower emission 2007 engines to run properly. Using higher sulpher fuel will clog the particulate filter".

In the following issue dated June 12th,...."Mike Tunnell, dir of environmental research with ATA said ULSD are more stringent in Calif. and refiners found it easier to meet the aromatics requirement by reducin the amount of sulpher in the fuel. So Calif is not in the same 'phase-in' schedule t5he rest of the country is in." They already have ULSD and you might have already used it. Additionally, Rick Rainey of Kinder Morgan Energy, Calif. only common carrier pipeline said, ALL the hiway diesel in their pipelines meets ULSD requirements.

Worrying about contamination from the delivery pipelines, and there are over 50K miles of petroleum pilelines under ground,...." The National Assoc. of Truck Stop Owners said diesel retailers will not begin selling ULSD until mid-October when the EPA regs require them to do so." MIndy Long, mouthpiece for NATSO says, "After investing in a transition tank for ULSD retailers do not want to contaminate it with hi sulpher fuel." BUT, she also is quoted as saying, "Not all pipeline will ship ULSD to ALL terminals in the USA. There could be some shortages"

A spokeman for Marathon says that he thinks the pipelines will be switched faster than people think and that there will be on-spec fuel by Oct 15th.

hope that helps a little.

My bosses subscription must have run out because that is the last issue I can find on his desk and he is not a truck/diesel guy. he drives bimmers and a mini.

Jack Berry