The latest new Load One custom

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not like this is the very first expediter van Westmicher has put together and he's doing a trial and error thing.

Oh, yeah, he knows what he's doing. If he wanted to, he could have a profitable side business specing and outfitting expediting cargo vans.

Yes, an owner who knows full well the importance of the link between driver retention and keeping drivers happy. He's not going to build a van that he can't keep a driver in.

I have this crazy drive to always improve upon the last... am I nuts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app
47aebf7b0f905fb1d98b59e825443374.jpg
a37584ae9e18ff72414d02e1cb837527.jpg

Yeah , i talked to the driver of your last Build in Waco , Tx... wasn't pleased with Gas mileage or Handling and a former Promaster driver of yours now in a PM cube last November in El Paso .. he wasn't thrilled about hauling 4000 lbs. in a PM or gas mileage while doing such loads ... i guess all projects/inventions can't be Winners ....

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
47aebf7b0f905fb1d98b59e825443374.jpg
a37584ae9e18ff72414d02e1cb837527.jpg

Yeah , i talked to the driver of your last Build in Waco , Tx... wasn't pleased with Gas mileage or Handling and a former Promaster driver of yours now in a PM cube last November in El Paso .. he wasn't thrilled about hauling 4000 lbs. in a PM or gas mileage while doing such loads ... i guess all projects/inventions can't be Winners ....

The first driver has recently purchased a black, short, 1/2 ton Chevy van that he will be trying to expedite in beginning in two weeks...

The Promaster cube driver jumped into it and now admits it struggles to get close to 12 MPG...

These are the experts you are quoting as informed sources...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike99

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first driver has recently purchased a black, short, 1/2 ton Chevy van that he will be trying to expedite in beginning in two weeks...

The Promaster cube driver jumped into it and now admits it struggles to get close to 12 MPG...

These are the drivers you are quoting as informed sources...

Just a few ... i never ask their names ... just ask how their Vans are working out ...

eae63bbd5cff8644c3d93b5391fb109f.jpg

Owner/Operators , Expedite company managers , drivers of vans and Straight truck drivers & owners have come on EO and Facebook and complained about how the Russians /Foreigners and the Yellow Penske cubes have driven the rates down by hauling 5 to 6 skids and undercutting everyone .... well you hauling 5 to 6 skids in your new van is doing the same general thing ... you may get a better rate from John ..but you are doing 2 van loads .. which in turn used to be possibly 2 family incomes .. thats what started the yellow cube craziness ... lets haul 2 van loads ... more work for that cube .. less work for the vans ... kinda the same thing if John would start hauling all his Straight truck loads on his available Semi's ... 2 loads in 1 ... eliminate the Straights right ... make more money on the Semi's ... right ...

You have a nicely designed Transit van and i am sure John will make sure you make good money with it ... but i look at the Big Expeditite picture ... there is an over abundance of Vans out here and vehicles hauling 2 van loads on 1 van and possible overweight and illegally insured is going to increase ... thus hurting the industry as a whole ... again just my opinion ...

Reactions: fastman_1

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The thing with the Penske DRW cubes is the GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. but are being labeled as under 10,000 lbs. I can't believe these could haul more than 1,500 lbs. legally. Also, are there many 3+ pallet shipments out here that wouldn't push most of these larger cubes well over 10,000 lbs.?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Just a few ... i never ask their names ... just ask how their Vans are working out ...

eae63bbd5cff8644c3d93b5391fb109f.jpg

Owner/Operators , Expedite company managers , drivers of vans and Straight truck drivers & owners have come on EO and Facebook and complained about how the Russians /Foreigners and the Yellow Penske cubes have driven the rates down by hauling 5 to 6 skids and undercutting everyone .... well you hauling 5 to 6 skids in your new van is doing the same general thing ... you may get a better rate from John ..but you are doing 2 van loads .. which in turn used to be possibly 2 family incomes .. thats what started the yellow cube craziness ... lets haul 2 van loads ... more work for that cube .. less work for the vans ... kinda the same thing if John would start hauling all his Straight truck loads on his available Semi's ... 2 loads in 1 ... eliminate the Straights right ... make more money on the Semi's ... right ...

You have a nicely designed Transit van and i am sure John will make sure you make good money with it ... but i look at the Big Expeditite picture ... there is an over abundance of Vans out here and vehicles hauling 2 van loads on 1 van and possible overweight and illegally insured is going to increase ... thus hurting the industry as a whole ... again just my opinion ...

While I cannot be responsible for what has gone on in the industry, I can tell you at the show there were 5 Russians that spent a couple hours around my van trying to figure out how they might be able to either purchase them from me or figure out how they are made and make them themselves. They made offers but we are exclusive to Load-1 regardless of any potential selling to those ratekillers.... I gave them very little information that they could actually use. It would be almost impossible for someone else to combine all of the engineering, tools, materials, and talent to build these themselves for anything reasonable.

I know who the enemy is regarding rates and, without question, it is not Load-1.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
How many times has the perfect load grown to 4 or 5 pallets after you got there, and they didnt wwigh 2500 lbs...this would be perfect...as for the taking 2 van loads...i dont think he is doing 2 picks and 2 or 3 drops so he is just taking from the straights some...also he isnt looking to make money for cargo vans that he doesnt own. He has just added capacity that has previously gone on, illegal when not logged etc, yellow penske trucks that have similar pallet capacity, and kept it under 10,000 gvwr...anyone with the time, effort and ingenuity can do this....when it becomes a problem is if carriers demand this from us all.

Mostly what i see from the naysayers is jealousy that they didnt think of it, or create it, or want to get by on a 15 yr old cargo van...to stay competitive legally, this is a smart decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Justsitting

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hate excuses. Regardless of what someone is doing, there is a cost associated and typically those that don't value what they are doing tend not to provide the value to the customer. This is a high-value business. How many of the trucks that are cutting rates do you use more than once? Not sure they are the "go to" carrier for anyone that is doing more than posting and hoping.

With that said, a unit like that with sleep and capacity under $40k will be a money maker.

Very impressed. I have my alternative worked out. Sleeper space is a huge thing for me as it should attract the best quality driver.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like it. Just because you can load 6 skids, doesn't mean you have to if the rate ain't right. A good carrier knows the weight limits on the units and will not overload those units. Just wait until they post they loaded 12 skids @ 2500 lbs, some will just lose their mind. lol I doubt if they loaded those 12 skids @ 80 cents a mile. Or 6@ .80. How many times we get to a shipper for two skids only to find out they increased that to three or more. Do you take it or call dispatch to let them know that this is not a cargo van load. Shippers do it all the time, hopping the driver will take it without increasing the rate. I call, it's up to me to take it if no increase is offered.

I would love to carry three skids and still have a place to sleep. It's a good design.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Everything y'all have said is basically true. Think it is nice but I (personally) prefer my Transit that is 24" narrower. Too many tight squeezes out there for me. That being said, beautiful idea.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: jcochristoph

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many times has the perfect load grown to 4 or 5 pallets after you got there, and they didnt wwigh 2500 lbs...this would be perfect...as for the taking 2 van loads...i dont think he is doing 2 picks and 2 or 3 drops so he is just taking from the straights some...also he isnt looking to make money for cargo vans that he doesnt own. He has just added capacity that has previously gone on, illegal when not logged etc, yellow penske trucks that have similar pallet capacity, and kept it under 10,000 gvwr...anyone with the time, effort and ingenuity can do this....when it becomes a problem is if carriers demand this from us all.

Mostly what i see from the naysayers is jealousy that they didnt think of it, or create it, or want to get by on a 15 yr old cargo van...to stay competitive legally, this is a smart decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app
People are saying 10,000 lbs GVW this and that ... i still havn't seen the Scale ticket ... have any of you ... put a driver in seat .. tank of gas ..personal items .. scale it with picture .... Otherwise its all Hearsay ... out here on road .. i like a few others on EO .. have shown figures ..add ons... weight available for cargo after upfitting ... Many on EO know i don't haul heavy or drive 1,500 miles without sleep ...i invest in my Van ... not abuse it hauling 4000 lbs. or extending Federal Regulated Van dimmensions ... such as frame ... or box/ limitations ... Safety testing done by the Feds on Crash tests / Braking/ Roll over testing .. bad weather handling .... most Federal Safety testing done on New Vehicles is over a 2 year period before New Model hits the Show room floor ...
Many Veterans on EO setup their new Vans for 2 skids and atleast 4 ft deep sleeping area ...WHY is that ...???? Expereince telling them Sleep and Freight securement is most important ... not how many skids can you force in your Van ...
Westy's van is nice looking and well built ... just not my cup of tea and i question the durability of it ... we hopefully all can watch how it does through EO ... do you ALL transit lovers remember how long Ford made you wait because of test after test was done ... before sent to dealers ...
Please just don't put the Cart before the Horse ...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I have studied all of the appropriate regulations at length, including all those you mention, and a lot more...

If you believe there is some regulation that you think I've violated, you should state EXACTLY what it is and I will set you straight. There IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between the over 10,000 GVW regs and the under 10,000 GVW regs. Don't get them confused.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually it's the exact opposite of hearsay. It's direct testimony from the designer, builder and owner of the vehicle (and someone, I might add, with a sterling reputation for blunt, matter-of-fact honesty about his vehicles). You can either believe his testimony, or not. Up to you.
Correct... when you purchased your Sprinter ...and Leased onto Express 1 and later to Load 1 ... did they take your word (hearsay) on empty weght or did they request a Cat Scale ticket as proof ... to calculate available cargo capacity ...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have studied all of the appropriate regulations at length, including all those you mention, and a lot more...

If you believe there is some regulation that you think I've violated, you should state EXACTLY what it is and I will set you straight. There IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between the over 10,000 GVW regs and the under 10,000 GVW regs. Don't get them confused.

I am Not saying anything that You did in building your Vans was illegal or done in a way to shortcut safety issues .... But as you stated from the Expo there was certain people looking at building something similiar to yours ... and they would take shortcuts and not pay full attention to details ... You did your homework in the building of your van ....others will not follow your foot steps ...but will take Short-Cut Ave...
When i look at a New Vehicle model ... i asked alot of questions ... if that Upsets some people ... thats their problem... Lol if i could of made the Expo .. i would of spent most of my time crawling in, under and all over your van after seeing it ...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for hurting the industry, the current business model calls for the ability to do more for less and this fits! Like any business, innovate or die☠️

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app
That's it in a nutshell. Money talks, bullsh*t walks. Can Westy keep up his track record of sound truck building? We shall see. He does have a tremendous advantage, tho, of having Load One behind him. Could someone like me, running for a smaller company, do the same? I don't know, and I don't have the money to find out.

At the end of the day, tho, it's up to each of us to make sound business decisions, whatever they may be. As for me, I'd probably be better off with a $15k 12 foot minicube, instead of Westy's $6?,??? dream machine.

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's it in a nutshell. Money talks, bullsh*t walks. Can Westy keep up his track record of sound truck building? We shall see. He does have a tremendous advantage, tho, of having Load One behind him. Could someone like me, running for a smaller company, do the same? I don't know, and I don't have the money to find out.

At the end of the day, tho, it's up to each of us to make sound business decisions, whatever they may be. As for me, I'd probably be better off with a $15k 12 foot minicube, instead of Westy's $6?,??? dream machine.
Here is a possible new van canidate for you .... and its your favorite color ...
aac7f5955b2b4f708b176388a38e3ae6.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Correct... when you purchased your Sprinter ...and Leased onto Express 1 and later to Load 1 ... did they take your word (hearsay) on empty weight...
Again, not hearsay. Hearsay is a statement from a third party. Do not confuse "hearsay" with "claim." If I tell you that my van weighs 6000 pounds empty, that's a direct claim, either substantiated or unsubstantiated, but it's direct testimony from me personally. If you then go and tell someone else that my van weighs 6000 pounds empty, that's hearsay. Your statement carries no weight, as it were. They are much better off hearing it from me directly. They can then choose to believe me or not. If they don't believe me, they can ask for proof of my claim. They cannot ask you for proof of my claim. The only proof you could come up with is, "Well that's what he told me."

Hearsay is notoriously unreliable. For example, people can take your word for it, which is how rumors get started, or they can hear directly from me that I have never, ever, not even for a single second, been leased to Express-1.

Be that as it may, when I leased on with Load One I gave them my dimensions, my GVWR, and my max cargo capacity. They believed me and did not request a scale ticket. Part of that is, I'm sure, because my stated cargo capacity was well within the normal range for that of a Sprinter. I had obtained a scale ticket the night before, assuming they would want it. I told them I had a scale ticket if they wanted it, but they said it wasn't necessary.

They did not think me all that trustworthy when I assured them that I was both drug and alcohol free, cuz they made me go and pee in a cup and blow into a straw anyway. And they have since repeatedly demonstrated that same deep and unrelenting distrust in me by making me pee in a cup on more than one occasion.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excuse me ... Steady was the E 1 culprit with Ovm... you were with Panther ...
Now if its Hearsay or
Heard you say or
Read what you said ... i don't need 7 paragraphs of jibber-jabber ... or your games
Now please back on topic ...
8f014845c9ea2e199fa55fa89fdfaead.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't go back to find the exact post number but all the details are here. Nobody needs to believe them but there is no reason to doubt them. It isn't a bunch of hot air from a drive by poster. It's data from a well known reputable participant. Repeatedly doubting and questioning it doesn't look the best. Neither would repeatedly saying it's a fact and you should accept it. So I will only be suggesting that in this one post.