The FECC suggestion/complaint box

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I have established this suggestion box so that Owners and Drivers can voice any and all suggestions without fear of reprisal. Please post any ideas or thoughts even if they may seem trivial. This forum is monitored by the powers that be and it is possible that a suggestion or two could be taken under consideration and implemented.

I will start with 2 suggestions out of the many that I have:

1) Driver Terminals - This country is covered with Fed Ex terminals under the many different divisions. Many terminals are gated with security and available parking. Many have rest rooms with shower facilities. It is not inconceivable that there could be some type of cooperation and maybe even camaraderie between the Fed Ex Brands which would allow their “Critical” division drivers to have safe places to rest and recuperate while on layover.
Many of the larger freight companies provide these types of terminals to their drivers and it benefits both parties. It improves the morale of the drivers while helping increase recruitment and retention for the company. Fed Ex already has the terminals in place and it is a shame that they have not made any attempt to provide help to the division that has made the commitment to live out on the road for long periods of time.

2) Fleet Message Alternative - There must be a different way to meet safety requirements and provide regular Fleet Messages without disturbing the legal rest period of the drivers. It is the nature of Expedited Freight for drivers to drive through the night and get their necessary rest during the daytime hours. The unavoidable beep along with the necessity to read the message is not only an inconvenience but it is a hindrance as well.
I cannot suggest the exact method of delivery for these messages because certain requirements must be met; however, I am sure that the same company that came up with the “load opportunity” system can easily solve this problem if motivated.

Please post your thoughts.:)

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I dont know about the sharing terminal thing - my experience with fedex freight is they are usualy uncooperative and many times down right rude...fedex express on the other hand is always friendly and helpful...dont know why that is. I would love to stop getting the irritating fleet messages which is some lazy persons way to do their safety requirements.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would like to see the fleet messages sent at a certain time everyday instead of random times throughout the day.

All of the FedEx entities are stand alone with separate operating budgets. It seems as if it would be a budget nightmare to have FCC trucks using Freight and Ground as our terminals.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like to see the fleet messages sent at a certain time everyday instead of random times throughout the day.

Bite your tong... uh, keyboard. How about ONE set time per week, preferably late afternoon when the least folks are likely to be sleeping, preferably on Sunday when it's least likely to interrupt driving/sleeping/anything. Why does there need to be more than ONE message time per week? If there are multiple items to address then send them all at that same time. Make it driver friendly.

JoeyandJudy

Expert Expediter
The pay for vans needs to be increased. At the current van rate, I will have to cancel my contract when my van dies probably some time next year. I cannot afford to run at these rates if I have a van payment and still be able to pay all my bills.

M

Mcarriers

I like the Sunday safety message, but we just cycle off our clink and since we have text message for load opps we don't miss out on loads. As far as parking @ our brother FedEx facilities, this is a safety/space issue. The last thing they need is to have to watch out for drivers walking thier dogs or just wandering around. The space @ most of these locations is very valuable and limited. Not to mention the noise of dropping and hooking trailers all day and night, as a lot of these facilities are 24 hrs. and those that aren't would have to have someone there to let drivers in and out.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Terminals

It is without question that there would be problems and challenges in opening up some access to Fed Ex terminals. My point in referencing the “Load Opportunity” system is to show that complex challenges and problems can be overcome if there is motivation and determination.
I am a realist and I know that this will most likely never happen because there is no motivation; however, keeping these and other ideas in front of the “powers that be” can be one step in eventually building that motivation.

The same goes for Fleet Messages.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could see the terminal thing working if,

It was limited to express centers where no suitable or safe truckstop exists, like Dearborn or Elk Grove, it would improve customer service as too many trucks stay outside the 25 miles in these dumps

and

If we paid a small fee......yes it would be nice to get it for free but this is a big corporation run by accountant$$$ so they have to win on a spreadsheet somehow. It should also be limited to parking only, once people go inside it won't take long before some idiot tries to do his laundry in the lunchroom sink and sullies us all.

It is a very good idea though.

I also like the Fleet message idea and I suspect that will be solved somehow with the updated Qualcomm's.

It would also be nice to see more VRU functions moved to a web based system, again saving them money on tied up 800 phone lines.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
if we are on a high secure load,and there is no suitable or being just plain being safe, the powers that be should make arrangements to let us park there til we have to deliver.
i agree that staying there to get rest, alot of dropping and hooking going on.happen to us one nite at a sister term where we was suppose to meet cons.to deliver freight. couldnt get any sleep:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedEx OFTEN arranges for us to stay a other FedEx terminals when on secure loads. It is standard proceedure. You just have to remind them once in a while.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
FedEx OFTEN arranges for us to stay a other FedEx terminals when on secure loads. It is standard proceedure. You just have to remind them once in a while.

Yea right,

We sat in their drive for four hours with our high security load after being told to leave. Finally, this "standard procedure" was worked out between Fed Ex and Fed Ex and we were begrudgingly allowed to stay.

LOS, you may relate to this. When serving in the USAF overseas our unit was often called upon to assist other branches of the military as well as our NATO allies. It was an inconvenience and created addition work; however, we gladly did it because we all worked together toward the same mission.

Some of these arrogant azz clowns at the terminals seem bothered to provide any level of help! They drive like drunken idiots through the lot and they try to shove the freight 2 pallets at a time into a refer truck without regard for your equipment. Some of the worst and most inconsiderate shippers have been the Fed Ex terminals. :mad:

See what you did now. Got me goin on one of those LOS style rants.:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have always had the safe haven arrainged prior to arriving. We, at least so far, have not had a problem.

Ranting is GOOD, it helps lower your BP, might raise others, but lower your own :p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe that this is part of the companies safety program and the messages need to be sent out to remind newbies and others alike of little tidbits of info. The weekend is out as safety does not work on the weekends. I will start a poll.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Could the DVA be modified to consider and add weight to the number of times a Unit accepted a load offer but was not granted the load? Very disheartening to hear the the " I am sorry" message several times a day.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Could the DVA be modified to consider and add weight to the number of times a Unit accepted a load offer but was not granted the load? Very disheartening to hear the the " I am sorry" message several times a day.

I think the only way that what you want could happen is to go out of service and not get any load offers.

The offers are weighted as the load offers come out and the trucks accept them they are taken out of the queue. If no one accepts the loads then the offers will keep coming out to all of the trucks.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I love it!!

This would be the best suggestion for our CEO!

See:
https://www.expeditersonline.com/fo...3-follow-panther-execs-they-haul-freight.html

What if our 2 top execs were to step up to bat and do what these execs are doing.

To make it meaningful they would have to be given a spreadsheet of all of the expenses of the truck that they are in. They would need to try to meet the expenses of the truck and show a reasonable profit for the week.

Oh, and make it a surface truck.

This would be a huge learning experience and a wake up call. This is why some companies require execs to be cross trained in all areas of the business.

You need to walk a mile in someone elses shoes before you can even begin to relate to their situation.;)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Virginia has done this more then once she just did not blog about it. Many of the middle management people in the office have done ride alongs in different sizes of trucks. They are very interesting to talk to as they were just as frustrated as us over not getting enough load offers. Even though they know that no loads mean no load offers they still were able to feel the frustration of waiting for the load then finding something they really wanted to do then getting a load and have to walk away from their fun.

There is no true way to do this without them buying a truck, making sure the home refrigerator is cleaned out, trying to make payments, and making sure that dispatch does not have a clue what truck they are in!

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I ran across one person at HQ who did this and they stayed at hotels. A little unrealistic.
Thanks for the info.:D

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the only way that what you want could happen is to go out of service and not get any load offers.

The offers are weighted as the load offers come out and the trucks accept them they are taken out of the queue. If no one accepts the loads then the offers will keep coming out to all of the trucks.

What I envisioned was this (I am number 6): offer goes out to top 3, all decline, offered to next three, #4declines, 5&6 both accept, 5 gets the load. Next offer declined by 1,2,3, 4 & 5 both accept, 4 gets the load. I have moved up, granted, but wondered if accepting the offers should perhaps pass me by one or two ahead of me. Just a thought, an incentive to take some of the less attractive loads if it means you might drop down a spot.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
What I envisioned was this (I am number 6): offer goes out to top 3, all decline, offered to next three, #4declines, 5&6 both accept, 5 gets the load. Next offer declined by 1,2,3, 4 & 5 both accept, 4 gets the load. I have moved up, granted, but wondered if accepting the offers should perhaps pass me by one or two ahead of me. Just a thought, an incentive to take some of the less attractive loads if it means you might drop down a spot.

Now that is an interesting idea. Somebody has had too much dwell time lately?:D

Judging by the complexity of the load opportunity system that seems like it would be doable, but I am not so sure trucks 1, 2 & 3 would be very supportive. :rolleyes: