The FECC suggestion/complaint box

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perhaps 4 or 5 accepts with no run would give you a <75 status if trucks ahead of you are refusing?

It would sure give the "they are out to get me" guys a whole new way to rant.

aileron

Expert Expediter
It would be very nice for vans to go back to the percentage pay, instead of miles. Between the first of the year and end of August when I went in a tractor trailer I made half the money I made last year in the same period. I know the economy is worse this year than last, but not quite that bad.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It would be very nice for vans to go back to the percentage pay, instead of miles. Between the first of the year and end of August when I went in a tractor trailer I made half the money I made last year in the same period. I know the economy is worse this year than last, but not quite that bad.

Brokered out B loads are paying ????!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, how about this: Today we ran a radmat load. We took the run yesterday. FedEx neglected to get the permits prior to pick-up even though they had a full 24 hours to get them. It cost us an hour waiting. When loads are booked they should insure all routing and permits right away. Don't wait until we start a departure call. It is too late then.

Also, the new secure service business, how about putting the fact that a load is part of that service in the OFFER! We took ANOTHER load today that the secure service part showed up as a "surprise" AFTER we took the load. When we are offered a load we should know ALL the requirement PRIOR to accepting or declining it. To spring ANOTHER requirement on AFTER it is accepted is just plain wrong.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . .
Also, the new secure service business, how about putting the fact that a load is part of that service in the OFFER! We took ANOTHER load today that the secure service part showed up as a "surprise" AFTER we took the load. When we are offered a load we should know ALL the requirement PRIOR to accepting or declining it. To spring ANOTHER requirement on AFTER it is accepted is just plain wrong.

We have taken more than one load where we only learned it was secure service after we stopped at a rest area.:mad:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One item I would like to see changed is when the directions to the customer are taken from internet that the person who enters the directions would make a notation that they are from the internet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One item I would like to see changed is when the directions to the customer are taken from internet that the person who enters the directions would make a notation that they are from the internet.

That would help a lot. The internet is NOT the most reliable place for directions. Then again, neither is the secretary that gives you directions based on the way she goes to work. She somehow NEVER noticed that 12'10" low clearance 1/2 mile before you get to the plant!! LOL!!

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Ok, how about this: Today we ran a radmat load. We took the run yesterday. FedEx neglected to get the permits prior to pick-up even though they had a full 24 hours to get them. It cost us an hour waiting. When loads are booked they should insure all routing and permits right away. Don't wait until we start a departure call. It is too late then.

yeah i agree it needs to be inthere,it will help, dont know why they dont

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When we are offered a load we should know ALL the requirement PRIOR to accepting or declining it. To spring ANOTHER requirement on AFTER it is accepted is just plain wrong.

I could not agree more. One of my greatest beefs over the past 5 years is Non-Confirmed Deliveries. Why can't ALL of the needed information be obtained and verified before sending out load offers?

Last edited:

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Excellent Point. We all know that local directions to many PU and DEL locations are lacking in specificity and correctness. And I really hate when I end up where I don't belong and call in only to be told: "Well, those are the directions the customer gave us". :mad:

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
Staying In Service when you have to be home at a certain time. Occasionally, one must be home on a certain date. And as luck would have it, you are probably many hundreds of miles away when you have to point the truck towards home. It would be nice to get a run in that direction and we know the odds are slim. So, do you stay in service as you drive, maybe get lucky, and drive your acceptance % down in the process. Or save your acceptance % and just go out of service for the run home.
How about, if you are going home, staying in service without paying the penalty of turning down the loads as you travel home. You would let dispatch know you are going home and can only accept loads that will allow you to make your appointed time to be home. For that period of time, turning downs would not effect your acceptance %. Fedex might benefit from you staying in service on your drive home, and with luck, you would too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I could not agree more. One of my greatest beefs over the past 5 years is Non-Confirmed Deliveries. Why can't ALL of the needed information be obtained and verified before sending out load offers?

I do not know the reason all loads are not confirmed but I have to wonder if one of the reasons is the agent questions if the load will get covered our not.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I seem to be stuck on directions this week.

Another change I would like to see is the HazMat reroute ran before the load is offered out. It is very frustrating to have the new route emailed to you and find out that the loaded miles has increased significantly. It is very hard to make a sound business decision when you do not know the facts.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
You would let dispatch know you are going home and can only accept loads that will allow you to make your appointed time to be home. For that period of time, turning downs would not effect your acceptance %. Fedex might benefit from you staying in service on your drive home, and with luck, you would too.

Durring orientation we were given specific guidelines for "direction/time specific situations" We contact dispatch, go OOS with a note that we are available for loads going.... The first time we did it we were disapointed with the actions of dispatch. After reviewing the event and results with FedEX, we have had good experiences with this system. The concept is if you are available for only certain directions or time specific loads, then you are not really available. Buy advising FedEX and going out of service, you will get load offers if no other trucks are available. As earlier stated, at first it didn't seem to work but after a review of the events, things got fixed and our experiences since has been favorable.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The normal policy on DoD loads is to not change your pay due to HazMat reroute.

With a surface HazMat load we have always had our pay adjusted.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I seem to be stuck on directions this week.

Another change I would like to see is the HazMat reroute ran before the load is offered out. It is very frustrating to have the new route emailed to you and find out that the loaded miles has increased significantly. It is very hard to make a sound business decision when you do not know the facts.

That is one of our pet peeves too. Many times we have accepted loads on a Fri, loaded the routing into the computer, then when we pick up the load and the routing changes.

That one should not be that difficult to fix.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all the talk about directions....what are your thoughts on this,

Don't bother with the directions and just provide the pertinent end of run directions like "Enter off Spring St Gate 5 at Guard Shack. Use dock E for expedite", you know, the kinds of things that keep you from driving around a location when the address is for the offices out front and the truck gate is around the back 2 blocks away.

Given the technology we have (Garmins and the like) do we really need 2 pages or directions telling us how to get to Memphis from Detroit?

My personal cross border pet peeve (and a way for FedEx to make more money)...If the customer is using anyone BUT FedEx Trade for a broker, and the paperwork is submitted at least 2 hours before crossing, ANY wait time at the border due to the load not being cleared is charged to the customer. We have a fairly regular run that I wont do any more, the paperwork has 12 hours to be cleared before the freight crosses the border, I have done the run 9 times, only once was the freight cleared by the time I got to the border. The last guy that ran the load had a 6 hour wait, I averaged 3 (one was 7). The fault on these loads is the broker/customer but mainly the broker. So, what a great way to drive business to FedEx and make crossing the border more attractive.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have been lucky so far with the cross border stuff. No problems this year at all. Assuming that Monday's load goes ok we will have made it through an entire year with NO border problems. Hope I did not just mess us up by saying that!!! :p