The FECC suggestion/complaint box

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
Not all of us a GPS. We only use the provided directions and the good old Atlas, so yes we want the directions. We have only had a few where I have had to look up on Mapquest to find the PU or DEL. With Randy being out here for 13 years he pretty much can get us where we have to go (and show me on the atlas) then it's just a matter of locals (now they really need to get some better ones), that's where the agents should be looking them up not getting them from someone who gives them from their house. I would like to see the PU and Del. times set at what time shipping and receiving are open not the hours that the person in the office works.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It would be very nice for vans to go back to the percentage pay, instead of miles. Between the first of the year and end of August when I went in a tractor trailer I made half the money I made last year in the same period. I know the economy is worse this year than last, but not quite that bad.

Everyone else is complaining what route to take and B's are losing while our frt. is brokered out at great rates I hear!! Time to turn that AROUND!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
My personal pet peeve has ALWAYS been the 'wake up call' (under load). Didn't matter whether I was in the truck, or in the van now... time permitting, I layover either in truck, or at home (Monday delivery scenario, whatever)... figure out what time I need to leave, plus a cushion... then go to bed. Most of the time, an hour... or a couple times TWO hours before I needed to leave... I get woke up by the call.. "It's critical checkout time... when are you leaving?" Excuse me? It's 200 miles away, I have 6 or 7 hrs. Even if I only average 50mph, I'll be there in 4 hrs.

My favorite was a time when I was sitting down the road from a delivery at a truckstop nearby, waiting on them to open. I checked in the express center, and sure enough....2 hrs before time to go, "RINNGGGG'... "It's critical checkout time"... are you kidding? Do you not see how close I am?

It's always the same, the computer 'said I should be leaving'

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The ENTIRE express center check in check out foolishness is RIDICULOUS! It is a system left over from the dark ages of please deposit 25 cents land line telephones only when the only way for them to know what was going on was for the driver to "check in" by phone. Every other company I've experienced uses the capabilities of the QC system, that we are required to pay handsomely for every week, to locate their vehicles without this silly check in business. The computer then figures out just how far it is to the shipper/cons, does the arithmetic at the company speed standard, and only beeps at you if the satellite shows no movement before the true critical time. Use the QC for all it's worth and get rid of the entire check in/out system.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Use the QC for all it's worth and get rid of the entire check in/out system.[/QUOTE

Even the QC will soon be obsolete. It has served us well since 1988. Soon wireless carriers will cover 100% of the nation. Smart phones GPS, equipped will be the next generation.

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
Why do some folks get to do DOD loads when they aren't White Glove.Also they are on the council and could try to solve alot of the questions if they wanted to.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is a very good thread for suggestions on what drivers are seeing as problems and how they would like to see the problem solved. What an great way for MANY people to discuss issues and the solution they would like to see.

As for non White Glove DoD trucks not sure what you mean as DoD in not exclusive to White Glove trucks. The DoD trucks are any that have filled out the background information and have jumped through all of the hoops to be approved by the government to haul these loads. If you are asking specifically about us we were not by any means the first non White Glove truck to become DoD qualified.

So let this thread continue with the good ideas and suggestions of ways to improve the system that everyone can read.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Please people, let's not allow this thread to become a place to throw stones. It can be a very valuable tool for us. Please use it correctly. I would hate to see it go away.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There are strict rules for the DOD loads,and there are plenty of non W/G trucks that are qualified.I was just taken off a DOD load as my co-driver isn't a citizen as yet and the naval base we were going to won't let him on base.There are military compounds that don't restrict but this one we were going to does.
This really sucks as load as picking up on saturday,and we have been on the load since thursday afternoon.We are getting dry run and have another load.also DDPS,but not near as much money

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have directions again on a load that make me shake my head. Anyone that enters directions in the computer needs to take a class on this. Directions with no street names only a local landmark do not work for some reason it is hard to see building colors at night. The other problem is the directions assume that every time a truck delivers to that address they will be coming from the same direction. The directions need to be accurate night or day and coming from any direction.

I would like to have a form on the QC where we could enter new directions to a customer and then a agent within the building could verify directions and then correct the original mess that was entered.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If FDCC puts in directions,usually come from the center of the nearest express center.I find when the customer gives them to FDCC,unless agent asks the right questions,you get to many landmarks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, here is something, we just ordered a bunch of FedEx uniform stuff. Most of it either did not fit right or will not do what we want it to. It would be nice if there was a way to see this stuff in person, try it on etc. Now we have to pay shipping back, after paying to ship it here, then more shipping costs to get the new sizes etc. A lot of time and money wasted. Now we will not have the things we need until early Feb. Even if you still have to order it just a way to see it and try it on would help.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
1 800 GOOG411 - give the name of the shipper or receiver's business name and the city. It will provide the business name, if it is what you want, they will complete the call for you. If during business hours, I have had great luck talking with a someone in shipping/receiving and taking their directions based on where I am coming from. The call and information is free. It is provided by Google. You might have to spell the name if the "computer voice" does not recognize your pronunciation. Is also great for motels, resturants, etc.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
We have directions again on a load that make me shake my head. Anyone that enters directions in the computer needs to take a class on this. Directions with no street names only a local landmark do not work for some reason it is hard to see building colors at night. The other problem is the directions assume that every time a truck delivers to that address they will be coming from the same direction. The directions need to be accurate night or day and coming from any direction.

I would like to have a form on the QC where we could enter new directions to a customer and then a agent within the building could verify directions and then correct the original mess that was entered.

This has always been a bugaboo for me; we usually just laugh about the fact that the directions are often coming from the other direction. I find, though, that there is a form on the QC for addressing the problem. It's the freeform "00" message. I have on many occasions, including 3 consecutive loads in 2 days earlier this month, sent messages with a suggested modification to the local directions to make them clearer or just flat correct them when wrong. I usually get an acknowledgement from dispatchers that they have taken care of it, and when making a return visit to such places have seen my own wording in the locals. It's quick and easy and, so long as the dispatchers follow through on their end to actually update the info, works quite well.

Give 'er a try.

Doug
DR4284

aileron

Expert Expediter
I don't see what the fuss is about the directions. In my whole time as an expediters I have used the directions a dozen times. I don't care about those directions, they can take them out all together as far as I am concerned, heck, take the whole qualcomm out, see if I care. I am more concerned about my pay, and comparing 2008 with 2009, I don't like what I see.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Worst directions : Go back over the interstate, at the stop sign turn left then go a quite a ways" I called and asked if "quite a ways" in indiana was the same as "quite a ways" in michigan which I was familar with.
Was also sent directions to turn at the white dairy barn which after driving by it 3 times turned out not to be the "dairy barn" with cows, but was a small ice cream shop in a strip mall named "the dairy barn"

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I don't see what the fuss is about the directions. In my whole time as an expediters I have used the directions a dozen times. I don't care about those directions, they can take them out all together as far as I am concerned, heck, take the whole qualcomm out, see if I care. I am more concerned about my pay, and comparing 2008 with 2009, I don't like what I see.

I hear ya on the pay business. I figure my gross for '09 was about 20% off from the previous year, even though we were in service and trying to work smart about the same amount of time. Don't have all the expenses recorded yet, so can't say how the net compared at this time. Since I see no significant changes in the economy for the coming year I'm not projecting significant increase/change.

Doug
DR4284

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What kind of truck? Which numbers were off? All gross and net? Our gross was off about 20% but our net was way up over last year.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
What kind of truck? Which numbers were off? All gross and net? Our gross was off about 20% but our net was way up over last year.

DR straight truck, so far have only looked at gross income for the year (stilll waiting for the wife to get the last of the expenses into the spreadsheets). Net should show improvement due to the fact that the truck was paid off in January and I wasn't carrying interest etc. on it. I tried to manage expenses as well. I'll know when it's all done.

Doug
DR4284

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are still making payments so those expenses remained the same. Last year we had massive business loses due to the hurricane damage to our truck so our bottom line numbers were very skewed when looking at last year to this. So we went back and compared bottom line numbers to 2007. Found the same thing. The bottom line totals were the best we have ever had in the business, same with the ratios between gross and net.

It took almost five years to figure out the best ways to run this business and it seems to have finally come together this year. I can't wait to see what improvements we can employ this year. You can never learn enough when it comes to running a business.