The Downfall of Bentz Transport Products, Inc.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Details highlight the shrinking expedited freight industry and the challenges expediters face.

By Phil Madsen, ExpeditersOnline

Bentz Transport Products, Inc. — a leading supplier of custom-made, aftermarket sleepers for expediter trucks — closed its doors on August 18, 2009. This industry-significant event surprised some, saddened many and gave expediting industry players pause to reflect on the present state of the industry and its future.

At this moment in expediting history, ExpeditersOnline interviewed company president Keith Bentz, seven expediter truck dealers, five custom-sleeper manufacturers, and two expediters who own Bentz-equipped trucks. As a group, they describe a diminished and changing expediting industry in which few new expediter trucks will be purchased in the near term, no new expediter trucks are being ordered now, and expediters of the future will see lower freight volumes and lower margins than they did in the past. While everyone interviewed is expecting an economic recovery, no one suggested that an expedite boom cycle lies ahead.

Full story here

A follow-up story is in the works in which the above-mentioned dealers, sleeper manufacturers and owner-operators are extensively quoted and their industry outlook is presented.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Too bad, they made an adequate product for a decent price. Just take a look at used truck prices: one can get a Cat C9 in a Frtshaker with an 8' sleeper with an APU for $40K- with moderate mileage. This biz will not see a boom, but a continued decline. Better make hay while the sun shines...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Simon, they were a poor workmanship product and very poor customer care.

Anyone can build a sleeper, there are a few expediters who have made their own but it is the quality under the skin and the performance of the company after the sale that sets them apart from the home made stuff.

Phil most likely did a good job on the article as usual, but why write it at all? Many of us know what is going on in this industry and it is like any other business some companies survive while other go away.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Good overall story, especially for those of us that really don't look at the big picture as it applies to our business. But, what was the best part of the posting is that it was by A Team! Welcome back and look forward to more of your interesting posts. Jack

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Anyone can build a sleeper, there are a few expediters who have made their own but it is the quality under the skin and the performance of the company after the sale that sets them apart from the home made stuff.

Greg,

I'm looking at this very differently. First - not anyone can build a good, quality sleeper. It took them years to perfect their products and customize their sleeper to buyers demands. Second, they exited the market not because of quality issues - but rather business related issues due to the economy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think most of this was covered back in July/August.
Kinda old news at this point.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

I'm looking at this very differently. First - not anyone can build a good, quality sleeper. It took them years to perfect their products and customize their sleeper to buyers demands. Second, they exited the market not because of quality issues - but rather business related issues due to the economy.

I agree that Bentz has/had a quality sleeper. We're very happy with ours...perfect, no but they were always willing to address any problems (and they were small) that we brought to their attention. We hated to see them close.

In the years that we've been in this business we've owned 3 trucks, all with different "brands" of sleepers. The Bentz is, by far, the best of the three. Maybe I come at this with a different perspective, having owned one of the "lesser brand" sleepers and putting up with poor quality and crappy customer service.....when you've experienced that for an amount of time, you're more appreciative of a solid product and excellent customer care.

I don't see any need to question why the article was written. There aren't that many businesses in the trucking industry that cater to expediting almost exclusively. We're a unique niche and any and all information, and yes, opinions concerning us should be welcomed.

Good article, Phil....looking forward to the follow-up.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I think most of this was covered back in July/August.
Kinda old news at this point.

Speaking for those of us that are "less than popular" here on the forum.....your criticism of "anything Phil" wears thin and doesn't bring the ridicule to him as much as it does to you. More should be expected from a "senior moderator". Get over it already.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Details highlight the shrinking expedited freight industry and the challenges expediters face.

At this moment in expediting history, ExpeditersOnline interviewed company president Keith Bentz, seven expediter truck dealers, five custom-sleeper manufacturers, and two expediters who own Bentz-equipped trucks. As a group, they describe a diminished and changing expediting industry in which few new expediter trucks will be purchased in the near term, no new expediter trucks are being ordered now, and expediters of the future will see lower freight volumes and lower margins than they did in the past.

While everyone interviewed is expecting an economic recovery, no one suggested that an expedite boom cycle lies ahead.

Reading Phil's comments brings the following questions to mind:
1. If the expediting industry continues to change and 2010 proves to be no better than or even less profitable than in 2009 for owners of these highly customized CR and DR units, what other options are availible as alternative carriers and freight to boost revenue to survive?

2. Are the owners of these trucks pigeonholed into one area only of the freight hauling business due to the design and capabilities of these trucks, thus making them less versatile?

3. If need be, what would be your alternative planned use of such a vehicle if you had to find another area of the freight hauling business to lease it on to, or would you simply dispose of it?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just a observation of the subject DD not the author. Don't read something into it that was never there. I didn't comment on the article itself either way.
As Jamin says"stop trying so hard to be offended"

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Just a observation of the subject DD not the author. Don't read something into it that was never there. I didn't comment on the article itself either way.

No offense taken here....just an "observation" from many past posts where this author is concerned.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

Of course, we believe ya Dave. :rolleyes:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
3. If need be, what would be your alternative planned use of such a vehicle if you had to find another area of the freight hauling business to lease it on to, or would you simply dispose of it?

Yes,my alternate plan is as follows. "Taking coals to Newcastle". :D

moose

Veteran Expediter

Trade the box for a fifth wheel , and get a torch...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It would be hard to see the logic in buying a 150/200k reefer truck at this time. For the ones that run a used one, they should still be ok. Back in the day, we took quite a few and converted them to flatbed tow trucks and resold them.