The Defining Issue of 2024

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Defining issue of 2024: A referendum on Biden’s economy AND TRUMP WILL BE THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE.
Probably not. Biden's popularity is in the tank and voters are feeling the sting of inflation, especially in the grocery stores. And yet, voters handed the Democrats strong victories last night, where abortion was on the ballot or where candidates who supported reproductive rights were on the ballot. The Democrats campaigned hard on abortion rights and it paid off.

So, when you have that kind of voter behavior at the ballot box, it's pretty clear abortion rights will be the defining issue next year; just as it was last year and is this year.

You are right about Trump being the Republican nominee. That outcome is highly likely. But with the 14th Amendments cases now active in various state courts, we don't know if he will be on the ballot. And with the criminal cases now underway, he may be in jail. And with the NY civil fraud trial nearing completion, and his New York businesses about to be stripped from his control, and the myth of his great wealth about to be shattered, we don't know how many MAGA people will peel away from the now weak man, making it impossible for Trump to win, even if he somehow gets past the 14th Amendment and criminal items.

It presents an interesting picture, doesn't it? Trump will be the Republican nominee. And the Republicans may end up nominating someone who is not on the ballot, is a convicted felon, is in jail, and is broke.

As I said, keep up the good work MAGA people. You are a self-destructive force within the Republican Party doing more damage than the Democrats could ever hope to do.

Finally, as I've been saying for months, I'm not sure Biden will be the Democratic candidate in 2024. His health may not hold out.

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, a Democrat incumbent, was soundly re-elected in this red state last night. In his first election, he just squeaked by with a tiny margin of victory. This time, voters handed him a decisive win. You can be sure all sorts of Democrats are whispering behind the scenes that this guy should be the presidential candidate in 2024, instead of Biden. And it's a safe bet that a very quiet team in the Beshear campaign is gaming out that possibility now.

In the meantime, GO, MAGA, GO! The extreme anti-abortion positions you clung to in Kentucky helped alienate voters there such that you lost the statewide referendum on abortion rights last year, and your Trump-endorsed gubernatorial candidate was soundly defeated last night. Yes! GO, MAGA, GO! Keep putting up anti-abortion extremist candidates the people don't want. It works every time ... for the Democrats.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An Example of Republican Soul Searching

Vance was one of the staunchest and most outspoken opponents of Ohio Issue 1, and a very outspoken anti-abortion extremest. He now speaks as a man having second thoughts.

I think that will last a day or two and he will return to form. Or if he happens to accept political reality and moderates his position a bit, the bulk of the MAGA base will condemn him as a traitor or sell-out. Those MAGA people, they're a pretty intolerant bunch.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, NOW it’s about Biden’s health?
An Example of Republican Soul Searching

Vance was one of the staunchest and most outspoken opponents of Ohio Issue 1, and a very outspoken anti-abortion extremest. He now speaks as a man having second thoughts.

I think that will last a day or two and he will return to form. Or if he happens to accept political reality and moderates his position a bit, the bulk of the MAGA base will condemn him as a traitor or sell-out. Those MAGA people, they're a pretty intolerant bunch.

Dude, Trump has a more “moderate” approach to abortion than DeSantis. And DeSantis is losing by 40 points there in a MAGA state. (Florida)

Last edited:
  • Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Oh, NOW it’s about Biden’s health?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been saying for months that Biden may not be the Democratic nominee because his health may not hold up under the rigors of a presidential campaign and the office of president, and plain old-age.
Dude, Trump has a more “moderate” approach to abortion than DeSantis. And DeSantis is losing by 40 points there in a MAGA state. (Florida)
I know Trump has a more moderate approach to abortion rights. But it won't matter. His MAGA Republicans are not listening to Trump. They are instead sticking to their extreme views and seeking to impose those views on all citizens any way they can. Even if people realize Trump's position is more moderate, the Republican extremists have so infuriated the voters that if you are a Republican, you are likely perceived (fairly or not) as an anti-abortion extremist.

Ads are already out there showing Trump saying in his own words that he is responsible for appointing the Supreme Court justices that eliminated Roe v. Wade. Their anti-abortion work is an albatross around every Republican's neck who is a candidate in a competitive race.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Probably not. Biden's popularity is in the tank and voters are feeling the sting of inflation, especially in the grocery stores. And yet, voters handed the Democrats strong victories last night, where abortion was on the ballot or where candidates who supported reproductive rights were on the ballot. The Democrats campaigned hard on abortion rights and it paid off.

So, when you have that kind of voter behavior at the ballot box, it's pretty clear abortion rights will be the defining issue next year; just as it was last year and is this year.

You are right about Trump being the Republican nominee. That outcome is highly likely. But with the 14th Amendments cases now active in various state courts, we don't know if he will be on the ballot. And with the criminal cases now underway, he may be in jail. And with the NY civil fraud trial nearing completion, and his New York businesses about to be stripped from his control, and the myth of his great wealth about to be shattered, we don't know how many MAGA people will peel away from the now weak man, making it impossible for Trump to win, even if he somehow gets past the 14th Amendment and criminal items.

It presents an interesting picture, doesn't it? Trump will be the Republican nominee. And the Republicans may end up nominating someone who is not on the ballot, is a convicted felon, is in jail, and is broke.

As I said, keep up the good work MAGA people. You are a self-destructive force within the Republican Party doing more damage than the Democrats could ever hope to do.

Finally, as I've been saying for months, I'm not sure Biden will be the Democratic candidate in 2024. His health may not hold out.

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, a Democrat incumbent, was soundly re-elected in this red state last night. In his first election, he just squeaked by with a tiny margin of victory. This time, voters handed him a decisive win. You can be sure all sorts of Democrats are whispering behind the scenes that this guy should be the presidential candidate in 2024, instead of Biden. And it's a safe bet that a very quiet team in the Beshear campaign is gaming out that possibility now.

In the meantime, GO, MAGA, GO! The extreme anti-abortion positions you clung to in Kentucky helped alienate voters there such that you lost the statewide referendum on abortion rights last year, and your Trump-endorsed gubernatorial candidate was soundly defeated last night. Yes! GO, MAGA, GO! Keep putting up anti-abortion extremist candidates the people don't want. It works every time ... for the Democrats.
Oh, NOW Biden’s health is an issue? Oh, ok. He’s cratering in the polls and Dem operatives are melting down about it.

Here is an indisputable fact: The Left wants a different Dem nominee for President. Republicans want Biden as the Dem nominee. The Left doesn’t want Trump as the Republican nominee. Dems must think they will lose if Trump is the nominee.

MAGA has been saying for a long while now to unite and coalesce around Trump as the nominee since he has an insurmountable lead. But instead DeSantis and the other “Keebler elves” continue on prolonging the inevitable. Money that could be spent elsewhere is diverted to this nonsense. An illustration of the nonsense is the debate tonight that NBC, a propaganda network will be hosting. Is that stupid or what? Trump is wise to not participate in it.IMG_5089.jpegIMG_5078.jpeg

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This was one of the victories from last night. If Younken had a good night, the donors would have shifted from DeSantis to him. But since the election went poorly in VA. it puts an end to a Younken candidacy for 2024 to take the place of DeSantis and be the alternative to Trump. The coalescing has begun. :clapping-happy:

IMG_5091.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Oh, NOW Biden’s health is an issue? Oh, ok. He’s cratering in the polls and Dem operatives are melting down about it.
I'm not "they." I'm me, so I'll speak for myself only.

I'm not melting down about anything. Yes, Biden is cratering in the polls. The election is a year away. Polls today about an election a year from now are meaningless. And, as I've said before, we don't even know if Biden's health will hold up. He may not even be the candidate. If his health holds up, he'll be the candidate. If it does not, he won't be. I don't care much either way. The Democrats will have someone as a candidate. A strong third party or independent candidate may emerge. We'll be more certain about who the candidates are six months from now.
Here is an indisputable fact: The Left wants a different Dem nominee for President.
That's a fair statement.
Republicans want Biden as the Dem nominee.
If you say so.
The Left doesn’t want Trump as the Republican nominee.
That seems clear, yes.
Dems must think they will lose if Trump is the nominee.
Only if you are really good at mind-reading and believe all Democrats think alike. I've heard from Democrats who fear Trump will win and from Democrats who are confident he will lose.
MAGA has been saying for a long while now to unite and coalesce around Trump as the nominee since he has an insurmountable lead. But instead DeSantis and the other “Keebler elves” continue on prolonging the inevitable. Money that could be spent elsewhere is diverted to this nonsense. An illustration of the nonsense is the debate tonight that NBC, a propaganda network will be hosting. Is that stupid or what? Trump is wise to not participate in it.
Fine. No comment from me. It is of little interest to me what Republicans do in their debates.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This was one of the victories from last night. If Younken had a good night, the donors would have shifted from DeSantis to him. But since the election went poorly in VA. it puts an end to a Younken candidacy for 2024 to take the place of DeSantis and be the alternative to Trump. The coalescing has begun.
How many major donors has Trump lost this time around? I mean major donors who supported him in 2020 but are specifically not supporting him now? I know there are some. That would offset your one-donor coalescing, would it not?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So now that Ohio voters have engaged in the process and finalized their choice by enshrining reproductive rights in their state constitution, will the Ohio anti-abortion extremists accept the decision because the people truly spoke?
How many people outside of OH are aware that their existing law already allows abortion up to 22 weeks? This vote wasn't a monumental victory over an implied abortion ban. The people of OH simply codified their current right to abortion into their state constitution, exactly the way the SCOTUS decision intended. The people of OH didn't speak anything new - they just repeated themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many people outside of OH are aware that their existing law already allows abortion up to 22 weeks? This vote wasn't a monumental victory over an implied abortion ban. The people of OH simply codified their current right to abortion into their state constitution, exactly the way the SCOTUS decision intended. The people of OH didn't speak anything new - they just repeated themselves.
Didn’t know that. Thanks

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The people of OH didn't speak anything new - they just repeated themselves.
Then why do the Republicans who fought hard to impose an extreme anti-abortion position feel so defeated? Why did they try to impose a new law at all? And why are they unwilling to stop trying, even in the face of this clear voter message? Why are they unwilling to accept the clearly stated will of the people?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This was one of the victories from last night. If Younken had a good night, the donors would have shifted from DeSantis to him. But since the election went poorly in VA. it puts an end to a Younken candidacy for 2024 to take the place of DeSantis and be the alternative to Trump. The coalescing has begun.
The donor in question is not a Trump donor at all. At least not yet.

Nov 8 (Reuters) - Hotel entrepreneur Robert Bigelow, Republican presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis' biggest donor, is switching his support to Donald Trump, but he will not give the former president any money until he is sure he is not headed to prison.
(Source)

This development shows how "bizarre" has become the new normal in the Republican party. A major donor is willing to support Trump, but only if ti becomes clear that the presumptive nominee is not headed for prison. That's plain crazy, but it does not seem crazy to MAGA Republicans because crazy is the new normal.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
"If God doesn't soon bring judgment upon America, He'll have to go back and apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!"
This statement frequently attributed to Billy Graham, actually originated with his wife, Ruth, during a review of her husband's manuscript for his book, World Aflame, published in 1965. He had just finished a chapter vividly describing the sinful conditions in America, and gave it to Ruth to read. She was very much sobered by the writing and returned the document to the study where he was writing and laid it on his desk, saying, "Billy, if God doesn't come soon and bring judgment upon the United States, He's going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!" The account was recalled briefly as an illustration in a message by Dr. James Kennedy (pastor, Coral Ridge Presbyterian, Fort Lauderdale, Florida), entitled "Prayer and the World Crisis", at the National Prayer Congress, Dallas, Texas in 1976. The statement has frequently been requoted by many others since that time.

Look around guys, the lady was correct.................

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The donor in question is not a Trump donor at all. At least not yet.

Nov 8 (Reuters) - Hotel entrepreneur Robert Bigelow, Republican presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis' biggest donor, is switching his support to Donald Trump, but he will not give the former president any money until he is sure he is not headed to prison. (Source)

This development shows how "bizarre" has become the new normal in the Republican party. A major donor is willing to support Trump, but only if ti becomes clear that the presumptive nominee is not headed for prison. That's plain crazy, but it does not seem crazy to MAGA Republicans because crazy is the new normal.
It’s only bizarre because the Left has gone unhinged with Trump hatred.
See Ny Judge and “postings” by his wife for an example. Illuminating…

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been saying for months that Biden may not be the Democratic nominee because his health may not hold up under the rigors of a presidential campaign and the office of president, and plain old-age.

I know Trump has a more moderate approach to abortion rights. But it won't matter. His MAGA Republicans are not listening to Trump. They are instead sticking to their extreme views and seeking to impose those views on all citizens any way they can. Even if people realize Trump's position is more moderate, the Republican extremists have so infuriated the voters that if you are a Republican, you are likely perceived (fairly or not) as an anti-abortion extremist.

Ads are already out there showing Trump saying in his own words that he is responsible for appointing the Supreme Court justices that eliminated Roe v. Wade. Their anti-abortion work is an albatross around every Republican's neck who is a candidate in a competitive race.
Trump has a more “moderate position” and MAGA hasn’t abandoned him. Instead he has gained in the polls. So his position on abortion hasn’t hurt him.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump has a more “moderate position” and MAGA hasn’t abandoned him. Instead he has gained in the polls. So his position on abortion hasn’t hurt him.
Fair point. But MAGA folks are imposing every abortion restriction the can everywhere they can, and that is prompting a huge voter backlash of the type seen Tuesday at the polls. It is motivating Democrats and independents to turn out in strong numbers. Those same voters will turn out in 2024. Bad news for Trump.

Seeing this week's elections success, Democrats are gearing up to make abortion rights the foundation of their campaigns. It's a winning issue for them. Trump is on tape boasting that, by appointing the Supreme Court justices he did, he took out Roe v. Wade. Democrats are already using that tape against Trump, notwithstanding his more moderate position on abortion. Had Trump left Roe v. Wade alone, the abortion-rights uprising now underway would not have materialized.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
How many people outside of OH are aware that their existing law already allows abortion up to 22 weeks?

Inaccurate.

The previous law allowed abortion to 22 weeks.

But the current law (prior to the passage of Issue One) banned abortion at 6 weeks.

Current law was a so-called "trigger" law ... that was triggered when SCOTUS overturned Roe.

A federal judge put it on hold in September last year.

The matter was still pending before the Ohio Supreme Court (as of Nov 8th) ... although it may be currently moot.

This vote wasn't a monumental victory over an implied abortion ban. The people of OH simply codified their current right to abortion into their state constitution, exactly the way the SCOTUS decision intended. The people of OH didn't speak anything new - they just repeated themselves.

Wrong.

The people of OH told the Republican fanatics to shove right off with their radical 6 week abortion ban.

Reactions: ATeam and Ragman

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Trump's "positions" are ... let's just say "very flexible" ...

:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
"If God doesn't soon bring judgment upon America, He'll have to go back and apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!"
For as long as I have been alive, two profit centers have existed in the publishing world. One is about the end times being now or just around the corner. The other is about the current or impending collapse of the markets/economy/monetary system. Books on these topics perpetually make the bestseller lists.