The Defining Issue of 2024

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As with any presidential election, in which all US House Seats and a number of US Senate seats are also in play, a host of issues come to the fore. But as we head into 2024, I think there is a single issue that will top all others in importance, and I think that issue alone will result in voters ousting Republican incumbents and rejecting new Republican candidates in decisive numbers.

The issue is abortion rights, or reproductive freedom as some call it. Most Republicans staunchly oppose abortion and many would say there is no such thing as abortion rights at all. The US Supreme Court gave a nod in that direction when they overturned Roe v. Wade in June, 2022; thereby ending the rights Roe v. Wade previously provided. Since then, several red-state legislatures, governors and courts have moved swiftly to decisively control or end abortion in their states.

That's great news for Republicans nationwide who have that view. But, it may prove to be a Republican disaster in future elections. That's because a majority of the American people favor abortion rights. And the early indications are that this issue motivates Americans to turn out to vote that preference when they get the chance. And they turn out in sufficient numbers to defeat the anti-abortion candidates or ballot questions.

There's lots to think about between now and Nov. 2024, including the southern border, the economy, gun rights, the Russia/Ukraine war, legal actions against Trump, the likely Republican nominee, etc. But my sense is the abortion issue will be the one that tops them all and determines the election results.

I'm not taking this view without evidence. The recent Wisconsin state supreme court election is a case in point. While people running for supreme court seats do not directly campaign on issues or rulings they may make, the abortion issue overwhelmed this race and it was widely seen as all about that. In a state that Biden carried by less than one point in 2020, the candidate seen as abortion-rights-friendly won by an astounding 11%.

To the extend that an incumbent president's popularity is a factor in an election, Biden is unpopular now. If anything, the Biden favorability/unfaforability rating would have hurt the pro-abortion cause in Wisconsin. But clearly, the energy provided by the abortion issue was a force in itself; and a powerful force at that.

Another example is provided by red-state Kansas, where in August, 2022, voters rejected a proposed state constitutional amendment that would have said there was no right to abortion in the state. The proposal failed by an astounding 18% and turnout was higher than expected.

That's not what many would expect in a red state like Kansas, but that's what happened. And that's what will happen again and again nationwide as voters get the chance to react to the loss or reduction of the abortion rights they wish to retain. Republicans are vastly out of touch with voters on the abortion issue. Instead of recognizing that and moderating somewhat, they dig in deeper when challenged. Consequently, voters are turning out to set them straight.

There are and will be other examples as the weeks and months pass. I created this thread to cite them here as they develop.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is it is killing an innocent human being. Leftists and apologists spout off about "reproductive rights" and countless other falsehoods to mask the fact it is killing an innocent human being. It is murder. Argue if you wish. It is your privilege to be wrong. Until DNA proves otherwise, I am right. If a woman wants to have a double mastectomy to prevent breast cancer in the future, more power to her. Her body, her choice. (Another of the murderous left's lying phrases about abortion) DNA testing the woman and the removed breasts will prove 100% that is her body. If she chooses to have 17 cosmetic surgeries more power to her. Her body, her choice. DNA will 100% support her.

If she aborts (murders) her baby DNA will convict her because the DNA of the murdered baby is only 50% her body. It is also 50% NOT her body. So it is NOT her body, her choice.

Yes, that will be a big issue in the upcoming elections. But anyone who claims any of the standard BS catchphrases etc. is an outright liar. I am right. Feel free to tell me I am not as it is your privilege to be wrong.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And partial birth abortion. Shouldn’t The Left moderate on that one?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: Kentucky, Nov., 2022

Red-state Kentucky GOP-dominated legislature imposed a near-total ban on abortions and put the proposed constitutional amendment on the ballot. Voters rejected the proposed amendment 52.3% to 47.7%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: Vermont, Nov., 2022

Blue-state Vermont voters approved a state constitution amendment, the Reproductive Liberty Amendment," 76.74% to 23.26%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: Michigan, Nov., 2022

Purple-state Michigan voters approved an amendment to the state’s constitution guaranteeing the right to abortion and other reproductive health services; 56.7% to 43.3%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: Kansas, Aug., 2022

Red-state Kansas voters rejected a proposed state constitutional amendment that would have said there was no right to an abortion in the state; 59.0% to 41.0%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: Montana, Nov., 2022

Red-state Montana voters rejected a legislative referendum for the Born Alive Infant Protection Act. The measure declared that an embryo or fetus is a legal person with a right to medical care if born prematurely or survives an attempted abortion, among other birth scenarios. The referendum failed 52.55% to 47.45%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Example: California, Nov., 2022

California voters approve Proposition 1, an amendment that enshrines abortion rights in the state constitution; 66.9% to 33.1%.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, that will be a big issue in the upcoming elections. But anyone who claims any of the standard BS catchphrases etc. is an outright liar. I am right. Feel free to tell me I am not as it is your privilege to be wrong.
I did not start this thread to debate abortion, and I will not do so here. I started the thread to show how Republican overreach on abortion is motivating voters in blue, red and purple states to turn out in large numbers to defeat abortion bans or limitations, or to approve abortion rights. Republicans would be wise to bow to the will of the people on this issue, but they show little sign of doing that.

Consequently, this could hurt them badly in Nov, 2024 and before where voters have a chance to vote on the issue. It could also hurt candidates badly who maintain strong anti-abortion positions.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A majority of Americans want a limitation on abortion. Specifically in the last trimester and partial birth. The political messaging should be focused on that by Republicans. Conversely, Dems avoid talking about that at all costs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You're not listening....
And that is precisely why the Republicans are headed for trouble. They don't seem to understand the majority of Americans want abortion rights. Or if they do understand, they don't care. Instead of moderating abortion rules after the Supreme Court reversed Roe v. Wade, they are plunging headlong toward stricter rules or outlawing abortion altogether.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And that is precisely why the Republicans are headed for trouble. They don't seem to understand the majority of Americans want abortion rights. Or if they do understand, they don't care. Instead of moderating abortion rules after the Supreme Court reversed Roe v. Wade, they are plunging headlong toward stricter rules or outlawing abortion altogether.
The majority of Americans also want restrictions on abortion.

Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At least this Republican is listening; U.S. Representative Nancy Mace, R-SC. Are there more?

“We are getting it wrong on this issue,” she said. “We’ve got to show some compassion to women, especially women who’ve been raped. We’ve got to show compassion on the abortion issue because by and large most Americans aren’t with us on this issue.” (Source)

Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This didn’t even mention partial birth abortions, but it is at least as high as the 80% amount for trimester abortions most likely.
Valid point but irrelevant to the point I am making. My point is, Republicans are vastly out of touch with the American People regarding abortion, and they are becoming more so with the increasingly strident anti-abortion measures and rhetoric they promote.

With few exceptions, they are not talking about trimester this or partial birth that. A recent example is the court-action attempt to impose a national ban on mifepristone (abortion pill) when the Supreme Court says that decision belongs to the states. Whatever the abortion restrictions happen to be, it seems there are numerous Republicans with influential voices rising to restrict more. The Idaho travel ban is another recent example.

It seems Republicans in power are really, really excited about restricting abortion or banning it altogether. It's endless, until the voters end it with the big push-back of 2024 that I believe is coming.