The Brian Williams saga.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember fishing with my good friend Hap Shaughnessy, who as a scientist (among many other careers) specialized in memory research. He explained that episodic memory is linear like a film and indelibly cast in stone. Hap should know. He also has a masters degree (among many other degrees) in science.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The following quote was taken from the text of the piece Muttly linked in post 1. There was no mention if Mr. Kurtz said this with a straight face.

A Fox News analyst, Howard Kurtz, said, “The admission raises serious questions about his credibility in a business that values that quality above all else.”
At first blush that might seem hypocritical, but as Fox News is in a difference business than is Brian Williams. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I remember fishing with my good friend Hap Shaughnessy, who as a scientist (among many other careers) specialized in memory research. He explained that episodic memory is linear like a film and indelibly cast in stone. Hap should know. He also has a masters degree (among many other degrees) in science.
Linear, like film. It's kind of like when President Ronald Reagan recounted, more than once, the tale of when, as a young soldier in the US Army Signal Corps during World War II, he had personally witnessed and filmed the liberation and dismantling of the Buchenwald Nazi death camp, and how that made such a dramatic impact on his life and why he as President was so pro-Israel and pro-Jewish.

The problem with that, of course, is Reagan never served in Europe at all, he never saw a concentration camp. He spent the entire war stateside in Hollywood making films for the armed forces, with some of that work involving handling and editing footage of the Nazi camps shot by military cameramen and war correspondents. At least all the film was linear. Until it was edited.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The military would have a record of what helicopter he was on and any incidents that happened.

Why haven't ANY news agencies or even Faux News gone straight to the source?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They have and the military says his copter was not fired on as does the pilot of his copter.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The military would have a record of what helicopter he was on and any incidents that happened.

Why haven't ANY news agencies or even Faux News gone straight to the source?

It's amusing that certain 'News' agencies are showing their unreliability in gathering facts with this story. CNN's Brian Stelter of the show, (wait for the punch line) 'Reliable Sources' interviewed a person who claimed he was Williams' pilot on the mission. Problem is it looks like he wasn't the pilot after all. And part of Stelter's vetting this guy was from, wait for it ...NBC. Hehehe.

From article:
In his retraction Stelter explains:

I looped in my editor at CNNMoney and started verifying Krell’s identity and story. I asked myself: was Krell a “plant?” Did he invent his Twitter account to trick me? No — his account dated back to 2012. I cross-referenced his Twitter and LinkedIn accounts and other Google results for his name. I found what he’d written about Iraq, and what had been written about him.

Importantly, I found a picture of Krell standing with Williams in a book published by NBC News about the Iraq War.

Perhaps most importantly, I contacted the NBC News public relations department. When I asked about Krell’s name, the P.R. person replied with a message labeled “off the record,” so I can’t quote it here. Suffice to say, the reply gave me more confidence in Krell’s account.

Then I wrote a CNNMoney story, quoting Krell at length. “He messed up some things and said some things he shouldn’t have,” Krell said — while backing up Williams’ accounts of “small arms fire.” I also helped set up Krell’s Thursday afternoon interview on CNN TV.

The newspaper Stars and Stripes published a story on Thursday afternoon contradicting Krell’s account. I called Krell and he told me, “No, that’s not what happened.”

Krell is now works for a military contractor after serving in the Army from 1983 to 2007.

Stelter also suggests that during the confirmation process he was misled by NBC:

Perhaps most importantly, I contacted the NBC News public relations department. When I asked about Krell’s name, the P.R. person replied with a message labeled “off the record,” so I can’t quote it here. Suffice to say, the reply gave me more confidence in Krell’s account. …

The NBC P.R. person now says the network can’t confirm which person piloted Williams’ helicopter. The situation remains murky and many questions remain unanswered. (There is somebody that can clear a lot of this up — and that’s Williams.)
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...-claiming-to-be-williams-pilot-misled-by-nbc/

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Williams himself said in his a apology that his copter was not hit.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Brian Williams suspended for 6 months.

2015-02-10.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, "IF you like your insurance you can keep it, period", why has the bum that said that not been fired? Along with him all the "news DOOODS" that kept PUSHING that lie as truth? That lie has RUINED LIVES.

The lies on ALL of the networks are doing damage, LOTS of damage, to this nation. It makes no difference which network is doing that lying.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, "IF you like your insurance you can keep it, period", why has the bum that said that not been fired? Along with him all the "news DOOODS" that kept PUSHING that lie as truth? That lie has RUINED LIVES.

The lies on ALL of the networks are doing damage, LOTS of damage, to this nation. It makes no difference which network is doing that lying.
Without his willing accomplices in the MSM - which includes NBC - the source of the above quote would never have been elected POTUS. Granted, his primary opponent (Hillary) was weak and dislikeable, and his 1st GOP opponent (McCain) was weaker and more dislikeable. But considering the abysmal record of his 1st term Obama would never have been re-elected with having the MSM firmly in his camp. You're right - these networks are doing serious damage to the country, especially those that are supposed to be providing hard news and objective reporting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Poor Brian. All this grief he's getting and just because he followed the Dan Rather school of journalism.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bill O'Reilly's War Stories Now Under Scrutiny
'MOTHER JONES' FINDS ISSUE WITH O'REILLY'S FALKLANDS WAR CLAIMS

Bill O'Reilly's War Stories Now Under Scrutiny

I'm sure it's all a mistake. O'reilly has NEVER lied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, the lib media and journalists are on a seek and destroy mission to get a 'conservative'. Too bad this one is much ado about nothing. Hehe

From article:
Let’s start with Mother Jones’ claims about O’Reilly in El Salvador: the magazine doesn’t dispute that O’Reilly covered the fighting in the country as a correspondent for CBS News. In fact, the whole of that small nation—about the size of the state of Massachusetts—was a war zone, pure and bloody; the left-leaning Archbishop of El Salvador, Oscar Romero, was even assassinated while saying mass in the capital city of San Salvador. More than 75,000 people were killed in the fighting, this out of a population of about 6 million. For purposes of comparison, if the USA had lost the same number of people relative to its population, the body count here would be about four million.

O’Reilly, still a CBS News correspondent, shifted to Buenos Aires to cover the Falklands Islands War when it erupted in April 1982. From the capital city, he covered the war fever, but as it happened, he mostly covered the huge street demonstrations in opposition to the Argentine dictatorship that had started the Falklands War—and then lost it. Those demonstrations, by the way, were so intense and violent that the government ultimately agreed to permit free elections. So O’Reilly was an eyewitness to an epic regime-change.

The MoJo article suggests that the war-fighting was in the Falklands, more than 1,000 miles from Buenos Aires, where British armed forces recaptured the archipelago from the Argentine invaders. And yes, that’s true, but the fighting was only 300 miles from the Argentine coastline. Indeed, the whole of the the South Atlantic region was a hot zone: in May 1982, a British submarine torpedo sank the Argentina cruiser Gen. Belgrano. and a few days later, the Argentines used the then-new device known as a cruise missile to sink the HMS Sheffield.

At the time, nobody knew how the fighting would go or when it would stop—and whether or not it would spread to Argentina itself. In all, more than 1,000 British servicemen were killed or wounded, and more than 2,000 Argentinians lost their lives. And the regime-changing riots in Buenos Aires were no picnic, either.

Indeed, in military parlance, “theater of operations” is a very broad term. Moreover, “theater of operations” and “war zone” are often used interchangeably. For example, all American military personnel—no matter what their MOS, or Military Occupational Specialty—who served in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, or Thailand between 1961 and 1975 are entitled to wear the Vietnam Service Medal. And that honor applies equally to those who served in supporting naval and air operations. Those who are curious can read more detail here.

Now of course, service in the Vietnam theater—or war zone—does not entitle one to lie about one’s own record. And so, for example, an Army soldier who worked solely at a desk job in Saigon would not be allowed to wear the Combat Infantryman Badge, or any other declaration connoting fighting heroism.

But O’Reilly never made any such claims, nor does Mother Jones say that he did. All O’Reilly said was that he was in a “war zone”—and he certainly was.
MISFIRE: Mother Jones Trolls Bill O?Reilly with Hair-Splitting to Avenge Brian Williams - Breitbart

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it is funny with the Williams disaster, MSNBC tries this approach.