the art of repositioning

dpinkard

Seasoned Expediter
hello there im trying to figure out what this "repositioning thing is" can i get alittle help, as to what it is and its importance (if there is any)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was fedexcc i kept track of where i pickup in each area and mark a map up as where loads were coming out of
and after a while you could see where loads were coming out of and after del would stay close to that area

than after a while you could see where to go and whto stay away from

it took a couple of years to learn that and talk to dispatchers and ask question, but with some of companies
now don't want you talking to dispatchers

greg334

Veteran Expediter
On top of what Geo said, a lot of companies refuse to give you access to the information and if they do give you access, it is not complete nor useful.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I agree with all that has been said. I feel my past experience guides me. Just something you have to do and then act on past performance. It doesn't take much sitting in a bad area to record in your mind as a place to stay out of. But just because it is a bad place, I may still go if money is right. Especially if a better place isn't too far away. You will have to rely on your past experiences or what you read here.
Repositioning is moving after sitting in a dead area for awhile. You move to try and get to a better area for freight.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another thing that has worked well for me is this. When you see drivers from your company get out and say hi maybe offer to buy them a cup of coffee,. Not all feel like talking but you will find most do. If you can find two or three people with your company who seem to be doing well and exchange numbers with them it can be a great go to source when in an area your not familiar with.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re positioning is an art form...you won't learn it by changing carriers every 6 months or so....it takes time and patience...and the ability to learn, absorb and observation...ears open, mouth shut....

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Another thing that has worked well for me is this. When you see drivers from your company get out and say hi maybe offer to buy them a cup of coffee,. Not all feel like talking but you will find most do. If you can find two or three people with your company who seem to be doing well and exchange numbers with them it can be a great go to source when in an area your not familiar with.

Do you find that is true as a whole with most EO members? From what I have gathered so far, it seems like most people are open to sitting for a cup 'o joe and are willing to be helpful. The info that members have shared so far has been invaluable.:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you find that is true as a whole with most EO members? From what I have gathered so far, it seems like most people are open to sitting for a cup 'o joe and are willing to be helpful. The info that members have shared so far has been invaluable.:D

When you have the reasoning skills to weed out the one upsmanship and BS factor....

ever notice a circle of drivers talking and what happens is..."I had this load once"

then the next guys chimes in with.."thats nothing, I had this load once"....and it just keeps going around in circles....

The only information you get from this is WHERE they picked that load from...the rest well, it is what it is...*LOL*

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im sitting in my cv Olive Br. Its 22 deg, out and 70 degrees inside,,,thats a good position dont u think? He who controls the definitions controls u. Life is short, dont get to wrapped in repositioning,,Im going to Waf/house, so there.:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im sitting in my cv Olive Br. Its 22 deg, out and 70 degrees inside,,,thats a good position dont u think? He who controls the definitions controls u. Life is short, dont get to wrapped in repositioning,,Im going to Waf/house, so there.:D

Repositioning only really comes into play when things are slower...when times are good, most of the time you can just drop and stop...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Another reason to reposition yourself is MONEY. The longer we sit in an area waiting for a load the better that load has to pay to equal the money we need per day to stay on the road.

I keep a record of where we have picked up loads and where we deliver loads. This Streets and Trips map is color coded with stick pins that designate if we picked up or delivered. I also add the date and name of the location. As you might guess my map looks pretty cool!

There are areas of the country that we know usually have good paying loads and it is worth gambling an extra 24 hours for that load. Other areas of the country we know are poor or the competition is fierce and we need to locate ourselves appropriately. This all takes time and staying within our companies load structure. Each company has a different area they are strong in.

When we are asking other drivers specific questions on where to sit and what areas are good we talk to drivers within our company and who have basically the same equipment as us. As a D dry box we do not ask a D T-Val truck where the best area is as even though they are in the same company as us their areas are different then ours to pickup and deliver loads.

We enjoy talking to drivers who are with all carriers on how to get into areas of the country easier or ways to make our lives easier while on the road.

Forming a network of people within our company for specific questions and forming a network outside of our company for other questions has really helped us in the long run.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We too keep track of where we pick up and deliver loads. If you keep good records you will start to see the same places showing up often. Talking with similar trucks from your carrier can help as well.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Most of the companies will want you to stay in the place you are in.Premiss,what if we have a load and no truck,but when you dont get loaded for couple days,was the decission to stay there wise?Reposition,all has to do with being in the right place at the right time,and you moving to the right place has to do with experience.The companies that have you move will want you to still be that what I call the in case truck.Most of the time,the busy areas also stay busy during the slow periods,you may want to plan yourself to one of these areas.When I take a load in slow times,I try to put myself in one of the busier spots,and try to make sure the pay for that load will warant the non pay dead head miles,in case the company doesn't want me to go there

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
When you have the reasoning skills to weed out the one upsmanship and BS factor....

ever notice a circle of drivers talking and what happens is..."I had this load once"

then the next guys chimes in with.."thats nothing, I had this load once"....and it just keeps going around in circles....

The only information you get from this is WHERE they picked that load from...the rest well, it is what it is...*LOL*

Oh yeah? That load I told you about that time I got from Seattle down to Key West was for for real! Paid $1.50 per mile. They gave me 3 days to get there but I made it in two...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah? That load I told you about that time I got from Seattle down to Key West was for for real! Paid $1.50 per mile. They gave me 3 days to get there but I made it in two...

LOL!! NOT BAD!! You would have been averaging almost 80 Per Hour to do that!! HEHEHE, I wish I could do that!! :p And take NO breaks other than for fuel. YOU DA MAN!! :D