Thanks to Linder

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
For posting about her rice cooker - something I'd probably not have bought otherwise, and it's become indispensable now. :D
The other day, I made ham & au gratin potatoes, which turned out nicely (layer thinly sliced potatoes, peeled or scrubbed, with thinly sliced onions, shredded or cubed cheese, bite size pieces of ham, and cover with 'sauce'. Not wanting to mess with a white sauce, I used a shortcut: cream of mushroom soup, & it worked well.) You can add parsley &/or chives, if available, too - it's kind of a flexible dish, where you use what you've got - my favorite kind, lol. Sometimes, I omit the cheese, & top the layers with browned pork chops, which drip yummy juices into the potatoes instead.
Next time, I'm going to try making unstuffed cabbage (the kind we who are too lazy to actually roll the cabbage leaves make.) :D
If I end up gaining 50 lbs, I'm gonna blame it on Linder, but right now, I'm enjoying the rice cooker a lot - and I've not even made rice once, lol. :p

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Oh Cheri, that sounds delicious! Like you, Linder convinced me I should have a rice cooker in the truck and now I have one at home as well. Something I just discovered is that I can actually brown ground beef in the rice cooker and I can stir fry veggies. It gets really hot so you have to watch it closely but I can't imagine NOT having a rice cooker. And they are relatively inexpensive.

guido4475

Not a Member
too much like work.

For posting about her rice cooker - something I'd probably not have bought otherwise, and it's become indispensable now. :D
The other day, I made ham & au gratin potatoes, which turned out nicely (layer thinly sliced potatoes, peeled or scrubbed, with thinly sliced onions, shredded or cubed cheese, bite size pieces of ham, and cover with 'sauce'. Not wanting to mess with a white sauce, I used a shortcut: cream of mushroom soup, & it worked well.) You can add parsley &/or chives, if available, too - it's kind of a flexible dish, where you use what you've got - my favorite kind, lol. Sometimes, I omit the cheese, & top the layers with browned pork chops, which drip yummy juices into the potatoes instead.
Next time, I'm going to try making unstuffed cabbage (the kind we who are too lazy to actually roll the cabbage leaves make.) :D
If I end up gaining 50 lbs, I'm gonna blame it on Linder, but right now, I'm enjoying the rice cooker a lot - and I've not even made rice once, lol. :p

wouldnt the golden corral in laredo be alot easier?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Re: too much like work.

Really the rice cooker is so easy to use and cleanup. Last night while working in the truck I made grilled Chicken Breasts in the Rocket grill, Macaroni and Cheese in the rice cooker, and then made Mexican Steam Fresh corn in the microwave. Then for desert I made one of India's finds the little microwave cakes for us.

Cleanup was a breeze the Rocket Grill you use parchment paper in so you just throw that away, the Steam Fresh is in the steam bag so you throw that away, the rice cooker I heated the water up in to wash the knives we used and wash the cooker, the cake is in a throw away dish and so all we had to do after the meal basically is take the trash out!

India while at Ft Hays in South Dakota did you see the area where the guy was molding tin pie pans? We had him make each of us a pie tin with Dances with Wolves Ft Hays and the date. They are perfect to put under paper plates to give you a firm surface to eat off of.

Wow Cheri your potatoes really sound great and more ambitious then I have been! I am going to have to give that a try.

Here is another good recipe for fall complements of Rene' O'Connell with a few adaptations for the rice cooker

Pepped up Tomatoe Soup
Brown diced onions in a little butter, then add bite size sausages or I used halved Little Smokies cook until the onions are tender, add can of tomato bits, can of tomato soup, and a can of 2% milk or if you want it really rich replace milk with cream. Serve with French bread. Best tomato soup I have ever had.

I really enjoy fall cooking!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I have to jump in on this one...I didn't know you could cook other things in a rice cooker until I saw it here. I always wondered why people would by a specific cooker for rice? :eek: I have one now! I love it!

barney

Expert Expediter
Why don't we all get together and write a cook book. All the recipies I have seen on EO sound great. I'm going to try the ham and potatoes.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Barney, that's brilliant! And since it's your idea, I think we should put you in charge, lol. (Hey, you asked for it :p) Seriously, though, it IS a good idea - maybe we could form a 'Cookbook Committee', solicit recipes, and have them published in time for the next Expo.
The only fundraiser I ever enjoyed, when my kids were forced to sell things on behalf of their schools, was a cookbook of recipes contributed by everyone at the school. It was wonderful, so much better than the overpriced junk they usually peddle (candy, giftwrap, frozen foods) that I wondered why it was only done once.
Recipes from real folks, who actually make the food, are the best kind, IMO. Like TennesseeHawk's Teriyaki pork chops, & Moot's Tortilla Soup.....darn - now I'm hungry!:D

barney

Expert Expediter
Cheri, since I am a Realtor now, I do have A LOT of extra time. However, I know nothing about publishing. I bet Lawrence knows ( that's a hint ).

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You know really this sounds like such a good idea for the Expo! It really does not have to be an expensive book with hints and tips on cooking in the truck and cleanup!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You guys need to post a link to your particular cooker so people could go online and see the real thing. I think the cookbook idea is a good idea too.

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks you Linda (if I remember right) I bought one last year to!! ok,ok.....Listen I'm really hungry and your all talking about food... So send me all your good recpies so I can go shopping this weekend and make something good to eat!!! (lol---LOL) I have not cooked in the truck for... well I cooked once in the last 6 or more months... Im soooo sick of truck stop food it just packs on the pounds. (hehe):D

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Rival 6-cup Rice Cooker - Red (RC61) : Target

This is the link to my rice cooker. I got it at Target and it is under $15.

As I mentioned a while back, one of our favorite meals in the truck is BarBQue in the crock pot. I use a pork roast but a beef roast will do. I put the pork roast (usually pork tenderloin since it is so lean) in the crock pot with about a cup of water and 1/4 cup vinegar. I slow cook it all day. Then for supper I take it out and discard the liquid, shred the pork and add my favorite BarBQue sauce. This will make enough BBQ for sandwiches for several days. We love pasta salad with our sandwiches. I cook the pasta in the rice cooker and use the steamer part to drain the pasta then add the seasonings (from the box mix) and I add a small can of black olives & some cherry tomatoes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Grief I just thought about hitting my self in the head and saying DUH!! I use the lid to drain my pasta but the steamer would work so perfect. I will try and post tomorrow a link to mine that I bought at Wal-Mart.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My rice cooker is a Black & Decker, and I use the steamer basket for holding soapy dishes, waiting for the rinse water, too.
When storage space is at a premium, 'multifunctional' is the word I like best. :)
When not in use, I hang it in a plastic bag from the closet rod with an S hook - the hanging clothes on either side of it protect it from damage, rolling down the road. (So far, anyway)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, so what happens if you start something cooking and then get a run. Does it slosh out? For those of us who are either domestically challenged or lazy is there a way to line these with foil or something so you don't have to do any cleanup other than throw away the liner? That pork for bbq sounds really good and I'd like to try that and a few other things but don't want any cleanup chores.