Teletype WorldNav Truck GPS navigation

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Weeeelllll, since DieselBoss sells GPS units, and is not an independent review site, the reviews are somewhat tainted. I've seen past reviews where serious shortcomings were downplayed in the reviews, until they were called out in the forum. One could conclude that certain items that have a larger profit margin might get more favorable reviews ("excellent" versus "good", for example). While I like the reviews and comparisons there, especially the format, there are many points of various units where the opinion section of the reviews are either suspect, or just wrong, albeit in opinion.

Many of the GPS units (and mapping and routing software) there are reviewed from, for lack of a better word, a superficial standpoint on how easy the units are to operate by truckers, and what kind of chrome the thing's got (shiny pretty things, a.k.a. bells and whistles). Nothing wrong with that, but more honest reviews of GPS units are to be found where GPS geeks hang out.

Any GPS geek will tell you that accurate mapping and routing blows every bell and whistle out of the water. Truckers like that truck-specific stuff (length, width, weight, etc.), sometimes so much that they'll look past a crappy basemap and database, and lousy routing. For example, the makers of PC Miler should be sued for their standalone PC Miler unit, because it's not PC Miler at all. It's got PC Miler bells and whistles, but it's mapping and routing is still the same old TravRoute Door-to-Door software (Co-Pilot in its most recent incarnations), which is crap (the Co-Pilot software is one of those where it was highly touted, but forum comments showed the review to be less-than accurate, as another example).

The best maps, basemaps and routing algorithms for North America is Garmin, with Tom Tom a close second (except Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas maps, which aren't as accurate, and is becoming less and less accurate as their North American map udates are beginning to lag a little)). The later Magellan aren't half bad, and plenty of people like the Rand McNally units (but again, the GPS geeks aren't all that impressed with the Rand units). A mid or low priced Garmin with updated maps and few bells and whistles will serve you far better than a much more expensive truck-specific unit with tons of bells and whistles but inaccurate maps and routing.

Based on a first hand accounting from someone I know who has been testing the new Garmin Delz units for several months, it appears the dēzl units (dēzl 560LT and 560LMT) are far and away ahead of the first generation of truck-specific standalone units (Nüvi 465T). The older 465T relied a little too much on those National Truck Routes instead of real world travels for trucks. Later updates have fixed most of that, tho.

Some of the better reviews (comprehensive) and be found at GPSmagazine. Other review sites like Amazon, those are ones to be read and considered, but you also need to take into account many of those reviews (good and bad) are from people who are not very experienced or knowledgeable about GPS units, or at least a wide enough of a variety of units to be able to give good information. Places like GPSMagazine, the GPS Passion forums and a few other GPS geek hangouts are where you want to get the best information.

My advice is to pick whichever Garmin that floats your boat ad far as bells and whistles, and don't look back, except become familiar with the forums that are dedicated to that unit, like over at GPS Passion.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Update on the 7400:

We have the Garmin 465 on the dash beside this unit and so far both of us have preferred navigating using the Nav unit. The display is so easy to see that navigating through Chicago, Detroit, etc. was a snap. It kept us in the correct lanes for merging and turning and marked the truck restricted lanes keeping our CSA's intact. Note, we did experience routing problems with both units. Will be getting some updates for both Nav and Garmin and will try to post again after installing and using. Overall, att both drivers prefer the Teletype unit.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Greg,
Sorry for long delay in response. We don't slow down that often and I have no aircard for this PC. Anyway, to your question. The Nav was telling me something like get off at exit such and such to get on say, I-90, when I was on I-90 at that time. The first time it did it, I fell for it and got off only to be routed right back on. Frustrating to say the least. I called Nav and they will have new software waiting when I get home. I set the bottom box to give me the present street I am traveling and when it wants me to get off an Interstate to get back on I just ignore it and carry on. The Chicago and Boston routing was excellent and it beat our Garmin 465T in one of our Canadian deliverys. Our Garmin finally went south and had to be replaced, which Garmin did with no fuss, except the loss of time for us to drive to that big bldg of theirs. I am just a truck driver and won't represent myself as some sort of GPS Guru, but, for the money, so far this device is really outshining the Garmin 465T and the Qualcomm MCP200. Now that is my humble opinion based on one month out with no background on either of those three units and dealing with the learning curve on all three. As time progresses I may be able to give better analysis and comparisons. Hope this helps.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm still using an ancient tom tom, it works 99pct of the time just fine. But , but an but, I still use a map from time to time and some ideas Schneider training school uses, like just run a straight line from pickup to destination, duh, it works. I don't charge much for that info. lol:D

Im all for new stuff when it works well too.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
We use a 6-7 year old Tom-Tom, I have never gotten new maps for it, I really should though, but it works 99% of the time also. But we always get the Atlas out and compare the planned route with the Atlas. We also have google maps, and sprint navigation on my phone. When all that fails, I will lok up the company on line and find them that way and contact if necessary.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App