Teletype WorldNav Truck GPS navigation

G

gunda60

Hi Fellows,

I’would need some one who know about TeleType WorldNav Truck GPS system. They said, the system can plan route and propose a quickest / shortest route to my destination! The unique feature they market, is its route analysis and selection on the basis of my truck's dimension. They just put in my truck's weight, breadth, length and height, and starting and ending locations to the WorldNav Truck GPS system, and a best suitable route to my destination proposed, instantly. The proposed route, as said, take care of all the in-route bridges heights, road blockages, road restrictions, time restricted areas, and so. Wouldn’t they offers a great assistance to us? The Truck GPS system, Teletype WorldNav Truck GPS system, they say, meets my professional requirements, which is available in two standard models: WorldNav Truck GPS 7100 and WorldNav Truck GPS 5100.

Being fade-up with other prototype Truck GSP systems: I’ve decided to shift on the Teletype WorldNav Truck GPS system 7100, as soon as possible. The cost of the system seems into my budgetary plan, which I expect would be recovered by increased efficiency and cost-effective routes planning. Could you please send your feedbacks, If you are in same profession and like to share your knowledge or experince on the subject?
They are Located at:
TeleType Co. Inc.
44 School Street
10 th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Phone numbers and email:
1.617.542.6220 (International)
1.800.717.4478 (Toll free for US)
Fax: 1.925.226.1558
Email: contact (@) teletype.com

Mon-Fri 8-6 pm EST
Sat 12-5 pm EST

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Purchased my WorldNav 7400 last Monday 02/21/2011. Online specs were awesome & advertised capabilities made it a Truck Drivers Dream come true. To top it off it actually fit into a drivers budget! It arrived that Friday, 02/25/11, evening via UPS. Cost $349.00 /w shipping and included a leather protective case. Very Impressive unit! I excitedly pulled out the manual & fired that puppy up! Well, it took awhile, actually quite awhile. I had grown accustomed to the old Magellan Roadmate, which only routed for autos. I would say the boot process was par with an XP computer loaded with startups, (means slow, know what I mean). Ok so it starts slow, as long as it doesn't lock up, like Streets on a Laptop and you have to reboot while driving, then that can easily be overlooked in view of all the features the 7400 has. Ok, bootup done and went to Navigation page. I love that large screen! I can actually see the detail without reading glasses! Kinda safer for driving ya know. Put in my old address and it could not find it! Magellan did so whats up with that? WorldNav uses Navteq maps, dunno what Magellan uses. Well, got an address it would find and voila, touchscreen locked up! Called tech support and talked with Mat, very personable & he did all he could, but, will have to wait until Monday for higher level tech support to resolve issue. Meantime I have a very pretty, but, non-functional GPS device. I intend to keep an open mind. I know that all gear has some failure rate. Here is where the rubber meets the road. Tomorrow I will experience firsthand WorldNav product support. I will keep you posted.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you read the reviews at site which don't sell the Worldnav, you'll find the Teletype GPS units get by far the worst reviews of all. Garmin, Tom Tom and Rand McNally are the only ones worth buying.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Turtle, yes I did see a lot of negativity, but, then I saw a lot of negs on those other GPS units as well. I may have bought a real loser, then again verdict is still out att. I will certainly post what happens next. I was a tech for many years and saw a lot of buggy gear. Cisco never performed as well as Nortel, but, Cisco leads the industry today. The way a manufacturer backs their product will usually win over the consumers and take the greater part of market share. Cisco proved that to me. Thanks for your input and stay tuned.

Last edited:

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I purchased my first WorldNav in Aug 08. I used it in a straight truck and t/t. My last upgrade of software was a disaster. It could no longer find truck stops in Texas, said there weren't any. Cause me all sorts of problems. It locked up on me several times requiring me to call customer service for them to send a new SC card.

When I moved into a van, I changed the settings to car. Again, it locked up. I got so disgusted, I bought a Tom Tom GoLive 740, which I love!!!

Because I do the same thing over and over expecting different results, I upgraded my older model to the 7300 for a $300 cost (rather than the full $349). I like the new version much better.

But, it had its problems. As I used it, it got slower and slower. I finally became so frustrated that I called Customer Service. Their answer: "Oh yes. We have a problem. We'll send you a new sd card to fix it." I got the card, and it wouldn't install as instructed. I finally figured out how to make the new installation work on my own, and it is working so much better now.

It has improved significantly with the new software and I do love the large screen. I never use voices on my GPS. Interrupts Glenn Beck or Rush on the radio.

And, I use it in "Car-Quickest" settings. They seem to work the best. My van never has an issue with low bridges or truck restricted routes. If I run HazMat, I can change the option to Truck-Hazmat and be safe.

Not sure I would recommend it.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Chetjester---Thanks for kicking it back. Maybe all I need is new software. I decided to try some of the other stuff while waiting for tech support. The FM radio transmitter seemed like a good idea. It is really hard to hear anything in a big truck. I was able to crank up the volume on my home radio, but, noisy background. Was your FM clean?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I only use it for navigation. I have never used anything else included. Waste of resources.

I first bought this GPS for $500 at the GATS in Dallas after hearing about it from Kevin Rutherford. After I bought it, he came back on the radio and said he was sorry he had recommended it before testing it. So much for that.

The screen is awesome, no doubt about it. I use it in 3D and have an icon for my vehicle.

I don't trust most GPS units. If I have the time, I always set up my route in Streets & Trips. That gives me a general idea of where I'm going and I can zoom in on my pickup and delivery to feel comfortable. Then, using my GPS, I can be guided in case I'm sleeping and forget where I am as I'm driving.

Again, I'm not sure I would recommend it for anybody. If you are having any problems, contact CS (know your customer number; it will be easier) and see if they are aware of the problem. They usually are, but never contact owners for the "recall" needed.

Good luck.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
the cobra 7700 seems to be a fair priced gps. has alot of extra features.... priced about 450.00+ free shipping

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Denny--- Thanks for the input. I only gave $349.00 for this unit. I own it now so will have to see how things turn out. I talked to Arlene at tech support this morning. We did a factory reset and everything seems to be functional. I am going to play a little and see if I can get it to lock up again. Will adv the outcome.

Last edited:

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Tasked unit with (Kidd Ln & PGA Blvd) intersection search and 7400 is once again locked up. Next level support is supposed to call me.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you read the reviews at site which don't sell the Worldnav, you'll find the Teletype GPS units get by far the worst reviews of all. Garmin, Tom Tom and Rand McNally are the only ones worth buying.

So far as Tom Tom is concerned I am not at all satisfied. I bought the XL with life time upgrades ($331.00) at Staples and it has not gotten me to one place yet without a wrong turn. I can sit in my driveway, turn on Tom Tom and it says I am on another street a mile away ( also stating it's a dirt road). My last delivery using it took me to the complete opposite side of town then the delivery address. The only thing that saved me was I new where I was going. Terrible map planning.:mad:

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Purgoose--Thanks for that input. I do realize no GPS is without faults and I am trying to be patient with this WorldNav unit and the Teletype Tech support. However, this unit has been non-functional since it arrived last Friday and I am still waiting for tech support to call me with a resolution att. If I was on the road and dependent on this it could have cost me a lot of money in downtime. I will keep posting on here so that my fellow drivers can hopefully derive something positive from my experience.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Despite my problems with Teletype, I would never criticize their tech support. They responded immediately to all my problems; usually just a software upgrade at no charge.

I think you have a bad unit and they should replace it. **** happens.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Latest on 7400. Mat adv could take up to a week to ship new software to see if that resolved the lockup issue. With the utmost humility I told him that was unacceptable and he then agreed to set up a FTP session to download the software to me for installation. I am now waiting for that to be completed. Once the new software is installed, if the problem is not rectified then, I guess the week timetable will go in affect to receive a new unit. I may have to stay home another week!

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
So far I have put three address's into the 7400 and it failed to route me to either one. A 3-4 year old Magellan had no issue routing me to either one. Bing uses the same map data and it had no problem finding those sites either. Mat @ WorldNav now advises me that I will have to purchase new maps to give this brand new, 7400 a mapping capability equal to a 3-4 year old Magellan unit. I am speechless! I should probably cut my losses and run, but, they are now in the process of getting me new software to stop the unit from locking up and I guess I am just a glutton for punishment. I sure hope some drivers get to benefit from this, it is really getting painful. It may iron itself out & this unit becomes the best thing out there. We'll see!

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
New Software is installed. This was a simple procedure. Matt sent an FTP link from which I downloaded the entire file folder. The 7400 linked well to both Linux and Microsoft OS based computers. Put the new folder in place of the old and voila, it was alive! Lock ups seem to be resolved. Took out the Spanish and French stuff, per Edwards suggestion, unit is a lot more responsive nowadays. Now working on some of those mapping issues. All in all, Arlene, Matt, and Edward, the WorldNav Tech support have handled my questions and less than personable personality quite well.

zrj2011

Seasoned Expediter
Well folks, no word yet on the mapping situation. Unit still fails to map to three sites in three diff states. While waiting for Teletype to resolve that issue I fired up the FM transmitter. This is supposed to xmit the GPS voice over the trucks stereo, which would be a great advantage in a noisy cab. Well, it does work, but, it sounds like my windshield wipers are transmitting thru the stereo. Problem is, the wipers were not on in the test automobile and when I put the unit on a home stereo, I still have the windshield wiper sounds coming out of the speakers. Help me here Teletype! Matt advised he would have someone call me.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Don't feel bad, my $331 Tom Tom hasn't found any address ether.
I still use street and trips on the lap top. All I think about is the $331 I thru away.:mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Garmin doesn't find every address, either. Sometimes the only thing that will locate a particular address is Google Navigator on the Droid. Happened the other day where the Garmin, Streets & Trips, PC Miler couldn't find an address. I picked up the Droid and said, "Navigate to... <name of shipper, city/state>" and it took me right to it, and even showed me the Google Street View picture of the building.