Target rich environment

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Armed employee gets into it with an irate customer. Irate customer goes to car to get gun, shoots someone, and then is stopped by armed employee thereby limiting irate customer to only one victim.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everyone should just lock themselves in their house, and just hope that NO one breaks in. No one should do anything to even TRY to defend themselves, at any time or any place. We should all just give up, cower, and give the streets to the criminals, because there is nothing worth doing to try to protect one's self. If it's not 100% perfect, no chance of a problem, or mistake, there is no point. It's far better to insure you status as a victim than to try.
Yep, that's exactly what we should do.

Or, we could simply go about our business and live our lives knowing that you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of being in a situation where you need a gun to defend yourself.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Armed employee gets into it with an irate customer. Irate customer goes to car to get gun, shoots someone, and then is stopped by armed employee thereby limiting irate customer to only one victim.
Yeah, cause that happens, like, all the time.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any business should be allowed to set the gun policy they want. Just like a bar owner should decide if he wants to allow smoking. At the same time it's up to us if we want to patronize that business.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, that's exactly what we should do.

Or, we could simply go about our business and live our lives knowing that you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of being in a situation where you need a gun to defend yourself.

That is hardly a true statement. FAR more people are attacked in our nation every year that are struck by lighting.

I may self have never been struck by lighting, but my house has been broken into, once in England and once here. I was robbed, at gun point, at the gas station that I worked in back in 1974.

I don't go about looking for trouble. That is a stupid thing to do. The chances of having a problem while remote, are not nil. Crime in much of the area in which I live is on the rise, rather dramatically, due to an increase in heroin usage and the scum that attracts.

So, I carry, sometimes. I practice at the range, first off because it's fun, and second because since I choose to carry a handgun I have a responsibility to make sure I know how to use it properly.

I am installing basic security systems at the house, due to an increase in home invasions in the area, AND, because it will save me 10% on my home owners insurance.

Just in case you need a reality check, in the year 2013, 23 people were killed by lighting in the United States. I think we both know that the chances are far greater of being attacked by one of our fellow men than by being struck by lighting.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And, if I recall the statics correctly the number of people who are victims of violent crimes in the US is something like 26 out of every 1000.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you didn't read the comments following the article how do you know they are irrelevant? Is it because of the source of the article and you are familiar with the comments that would follow? Please re-read the article and the comments. As a supporter of the 2nd Amendment do you really believe that the linked piece and comments bolster the position of gun rights activists?
All I'm concerned with is the contents of the article and the point the author is trying to make. The comments of the readers are irrelevant because we don't know who's making them or their level of experience and knowledge of the subject matter. For all we know most of the comments could have been submitted by a bunch of liberal college students posing as dumb crackers in an effort to make 2d amendment advocates look bad. I'm also not going to get distracted by some ad that somebody paid to have posted on the website. The only thing that matters in the content of the article, and I happen to agree with most of it.
I called you neither dumb or stupid. I suggested that you either didn't read the article or you didn't comprehend it or both. I based that on your posting of the link about the armed psychiatrist, which didn't support the article linked by the OP. Even the OP couldn't come up with anything in support of it.
My comprehension of the article was obvious, and the report about the armed psychiatrist most certainly supported the premise and provided an example of the problems with gun-free zones. Maybe you should re-read it.The police involved with that incident said that the shooter was found to have 39 rounds of ammo remaining after being taken down by the armed doctor.

There have been other articles and studies done on the subject of gun-free zones, such as the following piece from USA Today:
One of the interesting characteristics of mass shootings is that they generally occur in places where firearms are banned: malls, schools, etc. That was the finding of a famous1999 study by John Lott of the University of Maryland and William Landes of the University of Chicago, and it appears to have been borne out by experience since then as well.
In a way, this is no surprise. If there's someone present with a gun when a mass shooting begins, the shooter is likely to be shot himself...

Column: Gun-free zones provide false sense of security
Notice that last sentence and how it relates to the armed mental patient previously mentioned. This author also provides supporting evidence with the 1999 study and its link.

One other thing to consider is whether or not the criminal perceives his potential target zone to be gun-free. I'd say that was likely the case with all the Home Depot robberies that Turtle listed, and those perps got lucky. The problem is most people who have carry permits don't carry all the time, and those who do can't be everywhere at once. However, sometimes people like Dr. Silverstein happen to be in the right place at the right time. Enforcing gun-free zones reduces the chances of this happening.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't say ATTACKED, I said in a position where you NEED A GUN to defend yourself. Not WANT, not PREFER, but NEED one. A gun is not the sole or even the best way to defend yourself in all situations. I also didn't say KILLED by lightning. You're so dramatic.

Leo, no, it doesn't happen all the time. I've been to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and never once been attacked or seen or heard a shooting. Heck, I've even been to Dearborn and haven't been decapitated or blown up once.

How many Home Depots are there, and how many get robbed or incur incidents where guns are needed daily? Is a very small percentage. How many customers and employees are in and out of all of their stores daily, and what preventative of them are attacked? It's a very small percentage. The percentages are so small that one could say is a rare occurrence. Which is the opposite of a lot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What other form of self defense do I have if I am attacked? I can't run, my knees are shot. I am 63, there is no way I can fight off an attack. I am MORE than open to options, that make sense. Also, I have never said that a gun is always the best way to defend ones self. I have always said that being aware of ones surroundings and avoiding dangerous situations were the best means. Once attacked, there are not a lot of options. As we age, the number of available options tend to fade as the arthritis increases.

Now, one thing is for sure, IF I am out on Lake Erie my chances are much greater of getting struck by lighting if I believe NOAA weather predictions. :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Let's be honest here, do you really think that ad would cost many customers? I think it would be more likely to bring in more than it would potentially lose. Their target audience will like it, not be upset by it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

I guess their target audience excludes women, then. Eliminating half the population doesn't seem like a wise strategy to me, but what do I know, right? [Only that women buy weapons, too.] If I were looking for that product, I wouldn't buy it from a company that sees women as decorative [long as they look good in a bikini, of course]. I'd prefer a company that considered information about their product the best tool for selling it.
Speaking of what I don't know, what is the reference to "off the books" about? Is that something that would attract major interest from some government agency? :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All I'm concerned with is the contents of the article and the point the author is trying to make. The comments of the readers are irrelevant because we don't know who's making them or their level of experience and knowledge of the subject matter. For all we know most of the comments could have been submitted by a bunch of liberal college students posing as dumb crackers in an effort to make 2d amendment advocates look bad. I'm also not going to get distracted by some ad that somebody paid to have posted on the website. The only thing that matters in the content of the article, and I happen to agree with most of it.

"Liberal college students posing as dumb crackers", huh? Apparently, you did read the comments, lol.
But why should anyone need to exert themselves to make 2nd Amendment supporters look bad, when there's so many examples like the one I mentioned, where 2 separate citizens reported a weapon stolen from an unlocked vehicle? How 'responsible' is that?
You can learn a lot from the readers' comments, including their level of knowledge & expertise on any given subject. You might even learn something, sometimes - if you don't think you already know it all, that is. :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Judging by the news bits I've read, that employee would then get fired for violating some company policy, and unemployment compensation would definitely be denied. Unless he's lucky enough to get publicity for the good deed, he probably won't find another job, and will become another of those people who needs food stamps to feed his family, thus earning the scorn of many other people.
That's reality in America today.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I guess their target audience excludes women, then. Eliminating half the population doesn't seem like a wise strategy to me, but what do I know, right? [Only that women buy weapons, too.] If I were looking for that product, I wouldn't buy it from a company that sees women as decorative [long as they look good in a bikini, of course]. I'd prefer a company that considered information about their product the best tool for selling it.
Speaking of what I don't know, what is the reference to "off the books" about? Is that something that would attract major interest from some government agency? :confused:

That site is not designed for women and it isn't designed for most men. The target audience is a small percentage of people that would want to build their own guns. Off the book just means that the gun is bought in parts so that it is assembled later and never registered as a sale.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Would you buy a Glock 9 if the commercial showed Tom Cruise in nothing but a Speedo modeling it? :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not a fan of Glock, no matter who is "modeling" it or what they are wearing.

I buy tools based on the "role" they are being bought to fill, the quality, how they handle, etc etc. That goes for every tool bought, not just firearms.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You had to know that the "Pick you apart gang" would be on you to soon, but it happens here if you post enough stuff.....
skyraider,

Fixed it for ya:

"You had to know that the "Pick you apart gang" would be on you to soon, but it happens here if you post enough stupid stuff....."

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't watch the commercial but I'd have to research to find out what's a Glock 9 since there isn't and 99.9997% guaranteed never will be.