Taking offense at flags

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
The first 30 minutes of the interview are basically introductory comments led by Brian Lamb. The more serious exchanges come in the final 2 and 1/2 hours. That we Americans had such literate men as Shelby Foote possessing almost limitless institutional memory is an incalculable blessing. Foote is gone, but we have his writings and interviews. Most people having any knowledge of Foote will remember his on-screen commentary depicted throughout Ken Burns' epic documentary of the Civil War.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I thought if I drove to the end of this one yesterday I might find some gold. Then I could get some work done to my sprinter. Instead I found a gay Christian revival tent. The preacher looked like one of the village people. OVM was there.

Attachments

• 1437350183784.jpg
    1437350183784.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought if I drove to the end of this one yesterday I might find some gold. Then I could get some work done to my sprinter. Instead I found a gay Christian revival tent. The preacher looked like one of the village people. OVM was there.
you came to mind when I read this factoid....

10411842_1079841948710833_7873493686506669399_n.jpg

Reactions: Windsor

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, you're not supposed to take my word for it, you're supposed to do your own research and educate yourself...
I've already done that, and it indicates you have nothing to support your gratuitous assertion that "The monument to Nathan B. Forrest was created by KKK members as a tribute to it's founder, and as an in-your-face reminder to blacks that they'd better behave themselves."

An excerpt from the Carney essay you mentioned:
In 1905 Memphis--the city most associated with Forrest--honored the general with a bronze equestrian statue in his memory. The celebration surrounding the monument's dedication revealed that most white Americans accepted some version of the iconic image of Forrest as heroic warrior.

https://www.questia.com/read/1G1-77745484/the-contested-image-of-nathan-bedford-forrest
It has always been commonplace for cities to honor war heroes and public officials with statues such as these. One wonders if majority black populated Washington, DC will likewise call for the removal of the equestrian statue in Lafayette Square - directly across from the White House - of Andrew Jackson: former war hero, POTUS, and slave owner from Tennessee.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Given the recent greeting of Obama to Oklahoma with Confederate flags, I'd say Turtle's version is spot on.
And I think the statue should be removed [or screened from view] if only because it is a hideous example of "art". Both horse and rider look absolutely batcrap insane. Some 'tribute', lol.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
There are lots of statues that offend folks. One that I think is stupid is the concrete statue of a male child peeing that folks place in their yards, whats up with that....now you see we could condemn all statues around the world of all nudes too..just saying. When do we began the bans?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets ban all white vans, it is a racist color,,,whoops, just kidding ......well, u see, how things get out of hand in the good old USA. " And then they came for me".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There are lots of statues that offend folks. One that I think is stupid is the concrete statue of a male child peeing that folks place in their yards, whats up with that....now you see we could condemn all statues around the world of all nudes too..just saying. When do we began the bans?

If you find the innocent joy expressed in the sculpture Mannekin Pis to be "stupid", and the nudity of Michealangelo's sculpture offensive, then I feel sorry for you.
I admit that I am puzzled by abstract art, and totally gobsmacked when a Jackson Pollack painting sells for millions, but art that adds joy and beauty to the world [and Michealangelo's nudes are beautiful] is a wonderful thing, IMO.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I don't get where all the hate comes from I grew up all over the world all over the states and it's everywhere up north they say accepting applications that meens they are hiring but they are only looking for what there are slums segerageted neighborhoods all over the country racism all over not just white and black but everybody don't hate but to the same point they don't like to have the bulls hit shoved down their lives eather

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't think I've ever heard her use it either, I am a huge fan of British humor. I just wish I'd been more familiar with it when my kids were little, so I could say "Don't be so bloody daft!" lol. [Parents need to be creative about swearing.] ;)