Taking offense at flags

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Minneapolis there is a growing movement to rename one of the city's lakes. Lake Calhoun is named after one John C. Calhoun. A Minneapolis StarTribune article (linked below) describes Mr. Calhoun as "a former U.S. secretary of war who was also an impassioned defender of slavery. The article fails to mention that he was also a former U.S. Congressman, U.S. Senator and the 7th Vice President.

Lake Calhoun has held this name since at least 1839. Minnesota was still a territory and the Civil War was twenty years in the future. While the lake was named after John C. Calhoun the businesses using the name Calhoun, probably chose the name after the lake and their proximity to it, not the man.

What I find amusing about these name change debates is the people that are so offended. Luke Breen the owner of the 20 year old bike shop, Calhoun Cycle. Mr. Breen said: "It’s some pretty horrible offenses we’re named after." Breen also went on to say: "I’m fairly passionate about the social justice issue, it’s a little bit of a stain on all our faces. … In actuality, I’m terribly embarrassed by it." Mr. Breen is so upset and embarrassed that he has decided to change the name of his shop. If he is really upset and embarrassed why did he choose this name? If he wasn't the founder of the bike shop, why is he waiting until now to make the name change. Nothing like jumping on the PC bandwagon because it's like the, um, epic thing to do, ya know. Some will go along with the name change just because it's in vogue. Others will kowtow because of the negative connotations brought on by politically correct pressure to change.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-bike-shop-takes-the-lead-on-ditching-calhoun-name/313901761/

Reactions: muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm proud of my ancestor...John C Calhoun!!!! Guess that makes me not politically correct...oh well...
Any relation to Haystacks Calhoun?

d108657751697ddf12e943302ecfa4dc.jpg

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
We aren't that far removed from the American Civil War. 1861-1865.

My father(George P.) was born in 1920. WWII vet.
His father, my grandfather(Roland P.) was born in 1873. Schoolteacher. Always rode a horse. Never owned a car.
His father, my great-grandfather(Harper P.) was born in 1837. Civil War vet. CSA.

Harper's grandfather(Zachariah P.) was born in 1763 in the Yadkin River Valley of North Carolina and enlisted as an 18 year-old serving with a North Carolina regiment of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War.

Coming forward to the present time, my son(Ross P.) is in his 6th year of active duty with the United States Marine Corps.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm proud of my ancestor...John C Calhoun!!!! Guess that makes me not politically correct...oh well...
Both sides of my family came to this country after the Civil War. I'm sure glad that I don't have to deal with the guilt and embarrassment associated with having a very distant relative who was an advocate of slavery. How do you live with yourself knowing John C. Calhoun resides in your family tree?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Both sides of my family came to this country after the Civil War. I'm sure glad that I don't have to deal with the guilt and embarrassment associated with having a very distant relative who was an advocate of slavery. How do you live with yourself knowing John C. Calhoun resides in your family tree?
My family tree we shot Americans at Queenston Heights....and here I married one.....JuJu's family shot British...LOL...We live with it just fine....its HISTORY..... and we learn from it....
this is all a lot of jerk jack crap....

BTW...JuJu is officially a "Daughter of the Mayflower"....lineage verified back to that ship and before..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Obviously the Jews have no problem with historic objects....memoralizing the Death Camps and giving tours...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I sleep just fine! Except when the Norwegian in me drinks too much coffee! lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To me all this PC crap is mostly crap....

One of these days at this pace

"Rubba dub dub
three men in a tub"
nursery rhyme will be deemed insensitive to gays.....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To me all this PC crap is mostly crap....

One of these days at this pace

"Rubba dub dub
three men in a tub"
nursery rhyme will be deemed insensitive to gays.....
I have a gay cousin. Ya should here the gay jokes he tells. :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a gay cousin. Ya should here the gay jokes he tells. :eek:
Well good for him....

one company I drove for we had another driver nicknamed "Snowball" and he loved it considering it was coming from the white tight and uptight bunch! LOL