Tailgatting

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
This punk kid was in daddies escalade riding my rear for miles and i have my
Wiper sprayers so the left one sprays to the side. I. Let her eat for a good 2 miles lol he put on his windshield wipers and he still didnt get the clue. Made my day

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I really hate to say this because I dont want to give you any ideas but..
A few well hidden marbles in your truck will insure she doesnt drive Daddies car again..

But really dont do that..Im serious..Not a good idea.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I really hate to say this because I dont want to give you any ideas but..
A few well hidden marbles in your truck will insure she doesnt drive Daddies car again..

But really dont do that..Im serious..Not a good idea.

Never would i ever lol i useda grab a handful of penut butter and wop my friend who was behind me lol its the best splat ever

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
When I have a tailgater, I will change lanes when I can. Very slowly. It may take me .6 miles to get into that other lane, but I will eventually get there, signal running the whole time.

In nighttime construction or other traffic jam, when THAT PERSON flies up around me and forces their way in front of me (this only works if they are in a car or small truck), as traffic creeps forward, I turn my wheel just so, allowing my driver's headlight to reflect off their side mirror and into their face. I have seen them adjust their mirror or vehicle position. When we creep forward some more, I adjust my vehicle's position.

It's very subtle. They don't know the headlight thing is being done on purpose. They just know it's aggravating and they wish they'd never squeezed in front of that Avalanche.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I lobbed a tomato out my Sprinter window one time and right onto the windshield of my "follower."

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I usually just slow down...slower...and slower...until they either back off or pass. In the straight truck on more than one occassion, I had 4 wheelers that would tuck up behind the truck so close I couldnt even see their headlights. Slowing down would usually let them know I was onto them and they would pass. I had one that just would not pass...even after several attempts at slowng down/speeding up. I finally pulled to the shoulder and they went on.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I lobbed a tomato out my Sprinter window one time and right onto the windshield of my "follower."

Lol i like guy passes us looks over flipd us off n yells u fn peice of shiz i my friend gets i.n back says get infront of him im like okay next thing i kno my friend lobbs a peice of fresh poo splatted beside tthe chevy logo lol true story too

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Gotta keep that in my mind... I get "followers" every time when I'm on the road, and always I got a tomato to spare... :cool:

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Another thing that irks me is High beams from behind in my mirrors, I fix thi by puting a lite on the rear and turning it on hoping they get the idea..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what also works is bubble gum works good flys out window and lands on wind shields act like a bug

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
This punk kid was in daddies escalade riding my rear for miles and i have my
Wiper sprayers so the left one sprays to the side. I. Let her eat for a good 2 miles lol he put on his windshield wipers and he still didnt get the clue. Made my day

Maybe they could not see your blacked out tail lights?

I have an answer for these people. I pull over, or exit on a ramp i can get right back on the highway from. Then they can be someone else's problem/death wish.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I checked them today clearly visible lol there was no breaking todayy 75 mph

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my ambulance days I once cured a guy of tailgating by turning on a pair of rear scene lights. Those lights were bright enough to work an accident scene, so they were certainly bright enough for this guy to get the message.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
In my ambulance days I once cured a guy of tailgating by turning on a pair of rear scene lights. Those lights were bright enough to work an accident scene, so they were certainly bright enough for this guy to get the message.

I had a retired ambulance. The lights still worked. Nothing said back off like those lights.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I usually just slow down...slower...and slower...until they either back off or pass. In the straight truck on more than one occassion, I had 4 wheelers that would tuck up behind the truck so close I couldnt even see their headlights. Slowing down would usually let them know I was onto them and they would pass. I had one that just would not pass...even after several attempts at slowng down/speeding up. I finally pulled to the shoulder and they went on.

Having just read a news clip about someone fined for 'road rage' after tossing a cup of coffee at a tailgater, [who was also fined, for following too close], I have to say that this is really the only safe and sane way to handle tailgaters.
Though I'd sure like some of those REALLY bright lights, myself.
:mad:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

Having just read a news clip about someone fined for 'road rage' after tossing a cup of coffee at a tailgater, [who was also fined, for following too close], I have to say that this is really the only safe and sane way to handle tailgaters.
Though I'd sure like some of those REALLY bright lights, myself.
:mad:

my method is just as safe. Exit or pull over and allow them by...

I did like brightening their day though with the work lights...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are not out here to arm our vehicles, do combat or win. We are out here to pick up, transport and deliver freight safely and on time.

If you feel a negative emotion of any kind while you are behind the wheel, it is a sign that you are in danger of doing serious damage to your career if not your life and limb or those of others.

Driving a commercial vehicle is not about getting even. It's about keeping you and your fellow motorists safe, no matter how terrible they may be or how deserving of your wrath they are.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Tailgating is never a good thing at all.What gets me is the amount of "Big truck" drivers that wait till the absolute second to move over to the left while coming up behind you in the right lane...like hairs between you're rear bumper and the right corner of their front bumper.I mean, dosen't anyone value their CSA score, driving record? Even in adverse driving conditions.I just cruise in the right lane, and let them do their thing..eventually I'd like to think they get the message that I am not in any kind of hurry or won't be intimidated by them.They just drive by and shake their head, and I just wave..

The thing of it is, we really don't know who it is that is behind us doing whatever they are doing.It could be one of our companies biggest customers.Not too long ago, one of our(Load One's) customers took a picture of one of our trucks going down the road, and sent it to us.You just never know.It is not our job to play traffic controller, no matter how stupid they may get, or frustrated we may become.We are a representation of our company, and someone could easily turn the tables on us and call us in, and change the whole story.It would be pretty easy with us having our companies website add'ys and phone #'s plastered all over our vehicles.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
Landstar has a safety message for all you road warriors.

FIDO = Forget it and drive on.

As ATeam said, if it's getting to you, it's time for a coffee .. get out and walk around a bit ....

My action of choice is to simply slow down, until they pass ... allow them distance me by 1/4 mile or so, then return to the speed I was driving.