TA suxxx

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why do cargo vans park at truckstops in the first place?

Unless yer looking to spin yarns with other wayward souls, there are so many other places to park. Most often much cleaner and quieter.

I seldom ever park at a truckstop .. unless it is convient for some activity I wish to get involved in.

Fuel, shower, leave ... my motto.

I park there because of convenience I can shower or watch news when I want, I don't get the idea of just sitting in a store parking lot all the time where you would need to spend money to drive and find a truck stop anyway to take a shower.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Why do cargo vans park at truckstops in the first place?

Unless yer looking to spin yarns with other wayward souls, there are so many other places to park. Most often much cleaner and quieter.

I seldom ever park at a truckstop .. unless it is convient for some activity I wish to get involved in.

Fuel, shower, leave ... my motto.

We park in truckstops because we feel more secure. No long trek to the bathroom in the middle if the night if need be, employees always around...unlike rest stops, WallyWorld parking lots. Yes, there are those truckstops that are the exception. We pull in, we watch the activity before rolling out the bedding. Cars coming and going out of the semi lot, cars parked in front of semis...we bolt for the next truckstop. I would say in the mere 9 months I have been traveling with Jeff, we have turned down 4 truckstops.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I agree let TA know how you feel....

We vary rarely park out front unless we specifically are told as a straight truck that we can park in the front.

I am assuming you are in a van and not a straight truck?

When I first looked at your post my thoughts were truck stops are for parking overnight right? Than my brain kicked in and I realized you must be in a van and why this would be so frustrating.

If you need a contact for TA let me know and I will PM you a contact.

I had the same issues when I drove a Sprinter, but it was before TA started the Ultra One campaign.

Sounds like this is something to address with the folks at the TA booth at the Expo.

If they really want to get serious about attracting the expedite business, they should direct someone at corporate to sign up here at EO where questions can be answered directly. If they do it, maybe Pilot, Flying J, et.al. will follow suit.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The people who don't park at truck stops do so because they want to do it that way. I park at truck stops for the same exact reason.

matlack

Expert Expediter

The Flying J at Olive Branch MS ran us out of the nearly empty front lot after midnight, during an Ice Storm; with no truck parking spots available we parked in "out of service" pump lane and they didn't bother us again.

We had purchased fuel from that J earlier, but have not since.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

The Flying J at Olive Branch MS ran us out of the nearly empty front lot after midnight, during an Ice Storm; with no truck parking spots available we parked in "out of service" pump lane and they didn't bother us again.

We had purchased fuel from that J earlier, but have not since.

That is weird, we have stayed there more than once, never any problems. Tell me: is your vehicle, um, ugly or something? Maybe you aren't scary enough, like me.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

matlack

Expert Expediter
That is weird, we have stayed there more than once, never any problems. Tell me: is your vehicle, um, ugly or something? Maybe you aren't scary enough, like me.

We were in a WG DR unit and had been parked there for about 6 hours. It was about 2AM when the guy woke us up.

I was shocked that they would bother a FedEx truck being that they are that close to Memphis.
The Manager told us that the lot was for RV's only and since ours had FedEx Logos on the box they didn't consider it to be an RV, even if we did purchase fuel there.
Now keep in mind, that it is a smaller Flying J (about 50 T.T. Spaces) , but they would rather a straight truck use a Tractor Trailer space than to park in an almost empty RV lot.

We could have understood if they needed us to move our truck so they could clean the lot, but that was not the case, and since the truck lot was full and the roads were closed, we parked on OOS fuel island for the rest of the night.

However; the Flying J in Evansville IN is posted that trucks are not allowed in the front lot; but we have parked there many times along the buses and RV's and never been bothered.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Far I know know, most, but not all Flying J's, have the front lot paved to take a certain max weight, and many straight trucks can exceed that by a large margin. A Straight truck won't exceed the weight while empty, but people passing by seeing straight trucks out there won't know they are empty, and will think they can park there, too, loaded or empty. Many managers and employees of Flying J's might not even know the reasons why, all they know is "RVs only - no trucks".

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
I dont think I will ever use another TA for fuel or anything else and they can take their stupid useless expediter card and put it where the sun dont shine

The only thing I like at TA are the showers... they're better that J's... and that's it.
Speaking about overnight parking, Love's says "2 hrs limit", but they'll never ask you to leave...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The only thing I like at TA are the showers... they're better that J's... and that's it.
Speaking about overnight parking, Love's says "2 hrs limit", but they'll never ask you to leave...

I think that's just so they CAN ask some to leave. As someone pointed out, lots of people living in their cars now, sitting at truck stops. Sad.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I dont think I will ever use another TA for fuel or anything else and they can take their stupid useless expediter card and put it where the sun dont shine

It's occurring to me that the reason to boycott TAs and Petros is that they can't seem to add earned shower credits to cards reliably our reasonably soon. Having it added soon after it's earned seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think that's just so they CAN ask some to leave. As someone pointed out, lots of people living in their cars now, sitting at truck stops. Sad.
There's also the "park-n-ride" crowd who want to park their cars at the truckstop and then carpool it to work.

As for the showers and points, when they have to be added by hand, they aren't credited until someone calls those in. I agree that's something that needs to be automated. But even out back when you swipe your card, the UltraONE Expediter points don't get credited right away. They get processed in an overnight batch, so they earned shower will show up the next day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's also the "park-n-ride" crowd who want to park their cars at the truckstop and then carpool it to work.

As for the showers and points, when they have to be added by hand, they aren't credited until someone calls those in. I agree that's something that needs to be automated. But even out back when you swipe your card, the UltraONE Expediter points don't get credited right away. They get processed in an overnight batch, so they earned shower will show up the next day.

Showers show up right away, at least on the Ultraone card. I don't know about the other one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Showers show up right away, at least on the Ultraone card. I don't know about the other one.

If you buy 50 gallons in one whack they show up right away, buy if you are accruing those 50 gallons over the 5 day period, the way us lowly vanners do it, the earned showers won't show up until after they do the batch run on the overnight.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you buy 50 gallons in one whack they show up right away, buy if you are accruing those 50 gallons over the 5 day period, the way us lowly vanners do it, the earned showers won't show up until after they do the batch run on the overnight.

Get a second fuel tank! I don't know about having to build up shower points. I almost always buy at least 50 gallons.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, big and straights, 50 gallons at a time isn't much of a problem, but for vans it is.

A second tank is just stoopid expensive, plus the added weight of a second full fuel tank can be a significant problem with a Sprinter that has enough problems with weight as it is.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, big and straights, 50 gallons at a time isn't much of a problem, but for vans it is.

A second tank is just stoopid expensive, plus the added weight of a second full fuel tank can be a significant problem with a Sprinter that has enough problems with weight as it is.

Comon use Obama math. Spend a 1000 to get an 11 dollar shower!:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ha! If I got showers using Obama Math, I'd spend a thousand bucks for an eleven dollar shower, and then the shower would be given to someone else.