TA/Petro Shops

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a unique opportunity in a week to work with TA/Petro shops all over the country in a short seminar.

TA/Petro management is asking for feedback of what they are doing right and what they need to improve with their shops.

Can you please share what you have found good or what needs to be improved with their service?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We have a unique opportunity in a week to work with TA/Petro shops all over the country in a short seminar.

TA/Petro management is asking for feedback of what they are doing right and what they need to improve with their shops.

Can you please share what you have found good or what needs to be improved with their service?

Good: They get the work done as promised.
Reliable in basic maintenance.
Competitive in pricing.

Bad: Smoking while servicing the truck.
Loud vulgar music.
Cussing...using the "F" word constantly.
Leaving the truck dirty.
When they do make a mistake, it is still charged to me.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Im a stickler for techs leaving greasy handprints all over the hood and once in a while the door. I will complain if there are any left when i go pay and pick up the truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I second everything bubblehead said.

They can be VERY slow as well. I went in to the shop at the Petro in W. Memphis a little bit ago. At 11AM I was told to pull up to the door. I had an oil change/lube, rotated my steers, replace a rear wheel seal and put new rear brakes on. I got out of there at 9:30PM! MOST of the time was spent watching, and hearing, workers talk about their "love lives", how drunk they were the night before and how that "mofo" down the street was causing them problems.

It was not the most fun day I have spent on the road. I am glad they caught the rear seal leak, I had missed it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Except for minor things like oil changes or shocks we avoid them unless it is an emergency. Just about every repair they have done had to be redone by our local shop. They are usually very slow and the mechanics seem to drag the work out as long as possible. We once had a PM take 4 hours.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It must come down to local management. I've been positively impressed by Portage, Wi , Slidell,La , and Sawyer, Mi .
Negative experience at Las Vegas, TA.
If a shop is clean, it's probably well run. If messy, particularly when not busy, it's probably poorly run.
Also had great experience at Whitestown,In.
Had a guy having trouble getting a spin-on filter on at Petro in Lake Station, In.
Tech had quart of beer in pit with him.
Was a franchisee run location at the time.
So, the experience can be all over the board.

Edit: the experiences have been getting better in recent years.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Pricin on services they have a menu posted but when you ask them for a full pm they want to charge you for a tt pm not a st8 which takes half the time half the oil and half the filters was quoted 350 for my st8 ,waited a few days and had it done at noes truck service for 175 half the cost!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The getto music has to go what's wrong with classic rock everyone can deal with that!

Monty

Expert Expediter
Define "classic rock" .... some of us might not be able to deal with it! ;)

Basic PM, imho, is best handled by the folks that do that ... Speedco.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My version of classic rock is from the 5mid 60's through the 70's I can deal with all years some of the 90's is even classic rock now just avoid the getto and thug stuff it's offensive to most humans blaring metal is not considered classic rock though you can hear it if you park next to me sometimes. Long live man-o-war!!!

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The main thing that keeps me away from TA is that I pay for my fuel with cash or debit card at pilot I am set up to where I can start the pump with my loyalty card then go inside and pay after fueling.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I find it irritating to request that new wiper blades be installed, or a light at the top of the trailer be changed, and they need to know the truck's VIN, engine model, etc. Especially as I've given the info to other shops, but they say the computers aren't connected.
They would serve customers better and faster if they stop requiring info not needed, and share what info they already have.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, I wonder if some of that is for the guy that comes in for the light to be fixed, and the starter goes out.

Or it may be 1984ish tracking our movements and habits.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find it irritating to request that new wiper blades be installed, or a light at the top of the trailer be changed, and they need to know the truck's VIN, engine model, etc. Especially as I've given the info to other shops, but they say the computers aren't connected.
They would serve customers better and faster if they stop requiring info not needed, and share what info they already have.

I don't understand. Did you swipe your TA/Petro card? If so, all the info is there. I don't mind if they know I had work down there on my truck, get points too.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri I think it is for their records also on what has been done to the truck. Not sure they want to change that if they are the ones that do the work.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Pricin on services they have a menu posted but when you ask them for a full pm they want to charge you for a tt pm not a st8 which takes half the time half the oil and half the filters was quoted 350 for my st8 ,waited a few days and had it done at noes truck service for 175 half the cost!

Are you in a van?

What do you drive that only used 5 gallons of oil, no oil filter and one fuel filter?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
music being played in the shop....... well no matter what it is ...
its the techs work space... they can listen to what ever floats there boat.. as long as they git the job done. i know we drivers are really suppose to be in the shops anyway.
i do believe there are DRIVERS lounges.. the tv rooms ... etc. to hang in while they do there job.
just my 2 cents

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
music being played in the shop....... well no matter what it is ...
its the techs work space... they can listen to what ever floats there boat.. as long as they git the job done. i know we drivers are really suppose to be in the shops anyway.
i do believe there are DRIVERS lounges.. the tv rooms ... etc. to hang in while they do there job.
just my 2 cents

We tend to sit in the truck. Why? One reason is that MOST of the drivers lounges at truck stops are far too filthy to sit in. The other reason is that it is easier to keep an eye on things if you are out there. Many of these shops have been known to take "short cuts" on work. Having a body in view in the truck helps to keep them honest.