Ta/Petro PM services

Do you stop at the TA/ Petro for PM service

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
How many people get their Oil changed at the TA or Petro when your out on the road away from home? If you don't can you say why? Do they have your fuel and oil filters in stock?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
There is no "NO" so NO I don't use them.

The last time, they didn't grease the Throwout Bearing or the Ujoints

They didn't tighten the fuel filter which vibrated loose on I95 in rush hour in NYC

They didn't check the coolant quality.

I have had to provide them with the fuel filter every time because they refused to get the right one when I was willing to wait but wanted to sub one without a water sensor instead.

Deville

Not a Member
I've used both TA & Petro. I'll only use them if the line is very short & they take me right away. I ususally go in the middle of the night.

The TA by Bloomsberg NJ is pretty good, they usually have all the Filters in stock, though they are not always CAT filters. I've never had a PM where they lube the Throwout bearing, but I make sure they hit everything with a grease fitting.

geffrey

Seasoned Expediter
I've used both TA & Petro. I'll only use them if the line is very short & they take me right away. I ususally go in the middle of the night.

The TA by Bloomsberg NJ is pretty good, they usually have all the Filters in stock, though they are not always CAT filters. I've never had a PM where they lube the Throwout bearing, but I make sure they hit everything with a grease fitting.

The throwout bearing should be greased at every PM. This is not an extra service. I would not return to a garage who misses it.;) It should be included in every PM cycle.

guido4475

Not a Member
I was always a do-it-yourselfer.Like Greg, I have seen too many shops do a half-*** job.So I would carry 2 5-gal buckets with lids,and everything else, and do it myself at the terminal or in a truckstop parking lot, along with my grease gun and Lucas grease, which I would grease the truck every 5,000 miles,and change the oil, oil and fuel filters every 10,000.This took me roughly around 1-1.5 hours to do, but well worth it, because I know it was done right, and I was able to really look hard at the underneath of my truck and see if anything else was wrong.I also adjust the brakes during that time as well as spraying the air line fittings with soapy water to detect any kind of small air leak as well as checking tire pressures every Sunday morning when it was cool out..I must of been doing something right,because I never failed a inspection since 1989.What gets me is how alot of shops charge extra for doing something that should be done right to begin with.I always carried a bottle jack as well to jack up each side of the front axle to grease the king pins properly. But yet, if you ask a shop to do that, they look at you like you are on drugs.

Last edited:

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
so who do yall use on the road i dont ever have time or a place to do it the guy i have been using i have to drop my truck off for the whole day and you cant make any $$$ like that what about speedco or someone like that and what do thay charge

guido4475

Not a Member
If I didnt have the time to do it myself, I always preferred a Petro over T/A or Speedco.Too many mishaps at speedco and T/A.Never had a problem at Petro,it seems like they care more about doing a better job, and their shops are usually alot cleaner than the T/A.Heck, Petros themselves are alot cleaner than any T/A I have been to.T/A's have always been dirty and disgusting, and I mean the whole facility.Speedco may be clean and fast, but I would rather wait to have the job done right than to be on the side of the road 2 miles after having my truck serviced there like what has happened in the past several times.I prefer old school over youngsters any day.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I get my services at home,except when I have no other choice,as in last Saturday.I used the TA in Laredo Tx.$254 later my truck was p med and I was on the road,it did take over 2 hours,and I watched the job being done.I'm at home now,truck is getting the EGR system looked at.I once had a truck serviced at a Petro,60 miles down the road it blew up,Petro did take blame,but took weeks before I got paid

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Pretty much use Speedco. Usually have the filters and they service our generators. TA or Petro won't touch them so it requires a extra stop for that service.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have used a few T/A’s in the past, but with little satisfaction and with some problems. Contrary to another’s post, Bloomsbury, NJ is in my opinion one of the worse service locations and they will never touch my truck again, under any circumstances. I have used a few Petro locations as well. I can’t recommend them either. I have almost all of my PM’s completed by my local mechanic at home. In the event I cannot get home when one is needed, I have been pleased with Speedco. At Speedco you are permitted to remain in the shop and watch everything as they service your truck. If push came to shove, there are two T/A locations I would use: Breezewood, PA and Woodstock, ON.