T. E. Smith; Liars, Cheats and Theives

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
DO NOT sign on with T.E. Smith. They lie, cheat and steal from their drivers.

I signed on with them in April, 2013 with the promise from their recruiter of an average of $1.60-$1.65 per mile for ALL miles and upwards of 3000 miles per week for a straight truck...to good to be true...it was.

I drove for them for 3 weeks, averaged 1000-1200 miles per week @ $1.20 -$1.25 a mile for all miles.

Contract says you can quit within 30 days for cause, but after 30 days you must give 2 weeks notice...I quit within 21 days for cause, both verbally and via e-mail and they say...all the way up to Terry Smith, Owner since I didn't give them 2 weeks written notice they were not going to pay me my last trip settlement of $562.00.

I called, my wife called, begging to get paid numerous times and Terry Smith kept saying that if I would come back they would put my money on my first check.

I finally contacted the South Carolina wage and labor board who did an investigation, finding in my favor and they advised me to get a lawyer and sue them for the money...really.

I'm sure I will never see a dime from those SNAKES, but if I can save one driver from getting screwed by them my sacrifice will have not been in vane.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
I signed on with them in April, 2013 with the promise from their recruiter of an average of $1.60-$1.65 per mile for ALL miles and upwards of 3000 miles per week for a straight truck...to good to be true...it was.

Promises do not a contract make. You are in a volatile industry, there are NO guarentees of the revenue you will make.

I don't know anything about TE Smith, but your experience is not unusual in the entire industry.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you want to get your money suing will take a long time
want to get there attn: but lien on house, all things that they own, bank accounts, car's etc

cubansammich

Not a Member

I drove for them for 3 weeks, averaged 1000-1200 miles per week @ $1.20 -$1.25 a mile for all miles.

Contract says you can quit within 30 days for cause, but after 30 days you must give 2 weeks notice...I quit within 21 days for cause, both verbally and via e-mail and they say...all the way up to Terry Smith, Owner since I didn't give them 2 weeks written notice they were not going to pay me my last trip settlement of $562.00.

I called, my wife called, begging to get paid numerous times and Terry Smith kept saying that if I would come back they would put my money on my first check.

I finally contacted the South Carolina wage and labor board who did an investigation, finding in my favor and they advised me to get a lawyer and sue them for the money...really.

I'm sure I will never see a dime from those SNAKES, but if I can save one driver from getting screwed by them my sacrifice will have not been in vane.
Did they put signage on your truck and if so was that fee mentioned in the contract?

It could be a good move to mention this thread to them and also that you will be following up on your issues publicly. In other words maybe EO can work for you.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Never officially quit or cancel any working contract before you have your money. If you are thinking of leaving or aren't getting paid, go out of service and give it a week. "Let the back end catch the front end" so to speak. I know this doesn't help you now since the damage is done but tipping one's hand about leaving while still running puts one in a bad spot when working with a dubious company. Your best bet, short of filing a small claims suit, which is a minimal cost, is to just walk away and chalk it up to experience. One load will cover that 500 bucks. You will likely lose far more than that trying to collect. If a company develops a reputation of doing what you describe the word will get out....

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
you want to get your money suing will take a long time
want to get there attn: but lien on house, all things that they own, bank accounts, car's etc

Bad idea for something like this. You still have to pay and have a hearing to do that. A judgement lien which is what you are refering takes longer to process than someone doing a mechanics lien.
Rules vary by state, but if it is a judgement lien one is seeking, you just don't waltz in and say you want to put a lien on something. A judge and hearing determines that.
It does go faster on the TV shows. ;)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Judge Judy..you most likely will win..AND you get a appearance fee..win..win..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Are you a member of OOIDA, if so call Complince out there and let them give them a call, They evidently dont want to be placed on any OOIaDA list....this has worked for me in the past....I have to agree that your batter off negotiating while still employed, maybe you should have taken another load and then made the call....Ive seen this and been down this road, now with that said, MAYBE times were tuff, MAYBE they just hit a lull, it happens to the best, a three week lull....it still happens, but I would have been on the phone to the owner, no secretary, no dispatch....THE OWNER....

I hope they pay you, its way lame of any company to keep a mans earnings after he did the job, then you hold his money and wont take his calls, I like to give every shot to negotiate, after that I call OOIDA and I got paid fast, FED EX overnite....you dont want your company being on that LIST...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
reason i said put a lien on everything
i had a paper route when i was 12/13 and had a customer owed me for 4 weeks, and every time
i would go and try collect gave many reasons why he couldn't pay me at the time
told him he will pay next time i see him, said why i'm going to put a lien on your house
he was trying sale
to sheriff office and showed the sheriff how much he owed
sheriff help me put lien on house doing up all paper work
then with sheriff collected money owed than wouldn't del'ler paper anymore to him

mpeak68

Rookie Expediter

Just curious if the recruiter was miki, i talked to her few months ago and was going to ad a truck. She never called back so I said ok i can just go elsewhere.
Certainly glad I did.

The carriers that do this stuff do not last long, they will end up on in bad shape
eventually.
Good Luck

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Looks like they no longer advertise on here either. So not sure they read the site or would respond. Always two sides to every story, but this side does not sound very good.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Looks like they no longer advertise on here either. So not sure they read the site or would respond. Always two sides to every story, but this side does not sound very good.

I agree John - there are always two sides to every story. T.E. is welcome to respond anytime. I personally don't like the tone of posts like this one - but it isn't in direct violation of the Code of Conduct strangely enough.

rockytopman2

Seasoned Expediter
The Attorney will file against the Brokers Bond (this is why there is a Bond). If that is not successful, the Attorney will go to the Shipper and or Consignee which are ultimately responsible in cases where Brokers do not pay the Carrier.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I noticed that. They were a 5 Star Carrier too! :rolleyes:

We haven't had 5 star carriers for a while now.. it was changed to Featured Carrier several months back to more accurately reflect what the list was intended for.. unfortunately, not all carriers who were once highly recommended.. stay that way...

Dale