Super Thread : East Coast Storm info ONLY.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I sit here typing this thankfull to be alive.

We're thankful you're alive too. Wow! What an ordeal! And it's far from over. It sounds like you have food, water and shelter enough for now, and you obviously have the ability to communicate. What support do you need that expediters might be able to provide?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
We ran from Pittsburgh to Albany, pulled off at Port Jervis because of the gusts.
Used a Lowes to block the side winds and nosed the truck to the headwind.
Crazy, but the forecast track when we accepted the run gave us ample time to get on top of the storm---wrong
Safe and sound in Albany this morning, thinking about all the transformers we watched explode and the fire that followed.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Almost 8 million without power , 50 homes destroyed in Queens NY by fire started by the storm,storm surge has flooded tunnels and subway in NY.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Heading for Long Island with a 125 foot bucket truck for the cause.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Delivered in Liverpool NY last nite at 11:30. Came in from MO with power line equipment. Started with rain in Ohio and by the time we got to I271 wind was gusting and rain was coming down in sheets. That continued into NY on the thruway to delivery. Parked at Petro in Waterloo overnite and it was fine. This morning lite misting and wind 10 to 20mph. Whew!!!!! We were somewhat worried but everything was fine. Hang in there Deville.

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I thought this thread was to be about the East Coast storm ONLY. Now we're talking about Kentucky? This is one big-a** storm!

That's a fact that is influencing some peoples' decisions to disobey the mandatory evacuation orders and stay put. News reports are quoting them reasoning that if they are going to be in the storm anyway (unless they drive hundreds of miles), they might as well be in it at home. Some who evacuated for Irene found themselves without power and less comfortable where they went than they would have been at home. Statements that Sandy is a different kind of storm are falling on these people's deaf ears.

Yes, indeed Kentucky is receiving snow. The Appalachian counties of Pike, Harlan and Letcher are under a winter storm warning until Wednesday morning. Payne Gap, Ky reported 14" of snow this morning with the region expecting more. Winds of 25-40 mph. I-64 in Eastern Kentucky has seen several traffic accidents related to snowfall. Electrical power is out in many mountain counties.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I sit here typing this thankfull to be alive. I live 5 blocks from the beach, & we have about 2000 yards of sand seperating the water from the street.
Just the other day I realized that I was glad I no longer live on the beach in Manasquan. I'm glad you're OK.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know the fuel / truck stop situation on 95 North ? May be heading into NYC tonight from SC. Want to fuel as close to NY as possible.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Does anyone know the fuel / truck stop situation on 95 North ? May be heading into NYC tonight from SC. Want to fuel as close to NY as possible.

Might be best to call the truck stops directly. Diesel Boss has all major truck stops listed in one place. Phone numbers can be found there.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I'm sure your right , calling would be better. Thanks for the link, will bookmark. Still waiting for word on go/no go. Will update here if it happens.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Deville

Not a Member
Thanks for the concern. I'm ok. House is dry, Cars are dry, truck is ok. Everything around me in this area is for the lack of a better word ****ed up. I gotta post some pics when I gett a chance. My roof & siding are in needof repair & the rush of wather dislodged my centeral AC unit & the slab it rest's on.

I should note, that I never lost power. My service is under ground & the transformers that feed us would pop now & than but we were the only area in two square miles that had power.

I can not stress enough how lucky myself & everyone that lives in this town house develop were when it came to the inside of the houses. Nearly everyone lost their cars that live over here. There is devastaion all around me. People lost everything, houses swept off the foundations, home crushed by the surge. People died in my neighborhood. We had two houses catch fire across the street from me. the Fire department couldn't or wouldn't put it out. People were wading in chest high water with hoses & hanging out of windows trying to put the fires out.

Tha national Guard & Coast guard where deployed last night.

Here is a link to our local paper with pics the area I live in.

Photos, video give first-hand look at destruction Hurricane Sandy caused on Staten Island | SILive.com

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the concern. I'm ok. House is dry, Cars are dry, truck is ok. Everything around me in this area is for the lack of a better word ****ed up. I gotta post some pics when I gett a chance. My roof & siding are in needof repair & the rush of wather dislodged my centeral AC unit & the slab it rest's on.

I should note, that I never lost power. My service is under ground & the transformers that feed us would pop now & than but we were the only area in two square miles that had power.

I can not stress enough how lucky myself & everyone that lives in this town house develop were when it came to the inside of the houses. Nearly everyone lost their cars that live over here. There is devastaion all around me. People lost everything, houses swept off the foundations, home crushed by the surge. People died in my neighborhood. We had two houses catch fire across the street from me. the Fire department couldn't or wouldn't put it out. People were wading in chest high water with hoses & hanging out of windows trying to put the fires out.

Tha national Guard & Coast guard where deployed last night.

Here is a link to our local paper with pics the area I live in.

Photos, video give first-hand look at destruction Hurricane Sandy caused on Staten Island | SILive.com

Our prayers are with you and everyone affected by this storm.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hurricane Sandy knocked out 25 percent of the cell towers in affected regions, the Federal Communications Commission said Tuesday.

Deville

Not a Member
Yesterday was a day of assment & clean up, today was a day of decompression. Tomorrow back to work, Friday back to the gym.