Super Thread : East Coast Storm info ONLY.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I hope I'm not going overstepping my boundarys here. But perhaps drivers will use this thread to keep each other updated on relevant conditions, closings, openings, etc. with regards to the coming storm.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I hope I'm not going overstepping my boundarys here. But perhaps drivers will use this thread to keep each other updated on relevant conditions, closings, openings, etc. with regards to the coming storm.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Not at all...in fact, I'm making it a 'sticky' so it will stay up top.

Be safe out there folks, keep each other updated.

Thanks Chancemaster,

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Barnegat NJ has winds and moderate rain, I know schools there will be closed to at least Wednesday. Not sure about transit, etc there...I know some of the area was told to evacuate.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Moved from "Winter storm threatens East Coast" thread:

Whether this storm turns out to be over-hyped or not, it is now a fact that New York City will suspend its bus, subway and commuter rail service Sunday at 7 p.m., ahead of the storm. Tunnels and bridges will be closed on a case-by-case basis.

That in itself will create a traffic mess. Expediters operating in the Northeast will be well advised to watch the weather and traffic reports and plan accordingly. Truck parking, always a challenge in the Northeast, may be doubly so because of the storm. I would not take it for granted that a parking place will be available at Bordentown while the storm passes through.

Keep in mind that the customers you usually strive mightily to serve may well decide to stay home on Monday and Tuesday. You might make it through with the freight, but they may not be there to care.

UPDATE: The New York City Mayor announced that schools will be closed on Monday. He also ordered the immediate and mandatory evacuation of NYC low-lying areas that are home to 370,000 people. With subways and rail services to shut down at 7:00 p.m., these people will lose that way out at that time. How many people will obey the order remains to be seen but many thousands will soon be in motion if they are not already.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A few things come to mind for expediters who may be heading into the area:

1. Widspread power outages are expected. Trucks stops and gas stations need power to pump fuel. Go in with your tanks full. You may not be able to get fuel while there.

2. Make sure your truck is fully stocked with food and water. You might want to pick up extra water just in case.

3. Cell phone service may go out. You may not be able to communicate as easily as you are accustomed to doing.

4. Carry cash. If power and phone service go out, so does merchants' ability to process credit and debit cards.

Other than that, expediters are in better shape than most for dealing with storms. Our trucks are already survival pods of sorts, giving us the ability to easily flee if we must and survive for days at a time with the shelter the truck provides and supplies we carry on board.

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Winter storm and Blizzard warnings have been issued for West Virginia from noon Monday until Tuesday evening Heavy snow is forcast 1 to 2 feet with blowing snow winds 25-35 mph. Also blizzard warning for Garrett county in Maryland, Winter storm and blizzard warnings for western Virginia. Major highways that will be impacted I-64,I-77,I-81. Winter storm warnings for Western North Carolina begining midnite tonight until Wed morning I40 and I 26

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Far east end of Tennesse is now under winter/blizzard warnings I-81,I-40,I-26

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Winter storm warning Eastern Kentucky I-64 noon Monday to Wed

I thought this thread was to be about the East Coast storm ONLY. Now we're talking about Kentucky? This is one big-a** storm!

That's a fact that is influencing some peoples' decisions to disobey the mandatory evacuation orders and stay put. News reports are quoting them reasoning that if they are going to be in the storm anyway (unless they drive hundreds of miles), they might as well be in it at home. Some who evacuated for Irene found themselves without power and less comfortable where they went than they would have been at home. Statements that Sandy is a different kind of storm are falling on these people's deaf ears.

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
My run out of JFK cancelled for monday morning. I spent Sunday chasing freight for FDCC. 3 runs accepeted 2 out of the same place, both dry runs. Ran a load from Newark into a con-ed plant in Manhattan at 6pm today. Roads were pretty much empty, no rain just a brisk wind.

Last year duirng Irene we evacuated, but that storm was vastly diffrent it never made land fall it skirted over the rockaways & we caught a break. This storm is going to make landfall around the Elizabeth/Staten Island area, that is a disaster.

Today was the calm before the storm. I live in a zone A, but on higher ground. Got my house stocked up & locked down as best I could & put together several to go bags if I have to get outta dodge. Only thing is even if I evacuate there may not be a safe place to go.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The wind is going to be strong but not 100mph. The problem is that as slow as this thing is moving, it's just going to keep pounding with 60-70 mph winds.

But still yet, the water is going to be NYC's disaster.

TWC says every state east of the Mississippi will likely see some effect. Im not sure I buy that for the southern most states?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Google has set up a crisis map for Hurricane Sandy. Check it out here.

If you'd like to meet Hurricane Sandy, she'll be centered on the Flying J truck stop in Carney's Point, N.J., Tuesday about 2:00 a.m.

Last edited:

denny2010

Expert Expediter
We are in elkton, md.. at the TA. little rain and no wind at 0147 monday. Load was canceled for am pu.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
from the NYT Live storm Blog....

There were reports of roadways flooding, and Gov. Jack Markell of Delaware ordered that no one would be allowed on Delaware roads after 5 a.m. on Monday

bobwg

Expert Expediter
The size and reach of this storm is said to be 900 miles wide, they have wind and flood warnings for the coastal areas of Lake Michigan and other great lakes, and are forecasting power outages as far west as Wisconsin from the winds