super singles

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
I'm wondering if the super single tires on a tandem axel expediter truck would qualify ,in the south , to use the 6 wheel or less lanes. That could be an advantage to those with the super single tandems that they would not have if they had 10 tires on the truck. It would not help in california as their speed limit is 55 for 3 axels or more, 70 for 2 axels. Have not heard anything about this and was wondering if any one knew conclusively?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In California it does not matter really as anything over 55 mph kills your fuel mileage so why bother. On the loop around Atlanta the cops are so goofy we have never tempted them by trying those lanes. A cop that pulls you over, then you pull the SS tires on them seems like he or she would just get mad and find something else to write you up for.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
In California it does not matter really as anything over 55 mph kills your fuel mileage so why bother. On the loop around Atlanta the cops are so goofy we have never tempted them by trying those lanes. A cop that pulls you over, then you pull the SS tires on them seems like he or she would just get mad and find something else to write you up for.

So the answer is you don't know? there is more then atlanta , how about NC,SC? Glad to here you never exceed 55mph in ca or anywhere? I find that hard to believe but you are the experienced ones not I. still does not answer the question now does it,just feels like your a little quarrelsome right now -please see post on new coffee maker in womens view maybe it will help the slight attitude .:)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh bludgeoned one, use both hands and count off six. Now look at your truck. If the number of fingers extended matches the number of wheels on your truck, then technically you are legal.

I believe what TeamCaffee was saying was that they don't trust law enforcement to interpret the law correctly in regards to super singles and they would rather not take a chance.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks Moot that is what I was trying to say. Really I was not trying to be grouchy just do not like tempting the law!
We really do run slowly and anyone that has run with us and has seen our fuel mileage can tell you our top speed is 57 mph.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Having followed TeamCaffee for 25 miles a few years ago, (from the Roberts Center in Wilmington to King's Island), I can assure you - they really do drive that slow. It drove the two teens with me nuts, lol, but it is the smart way to drive, and my hat's off to the smart ones. :D

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I'm wondering if the super single tires on a tandem axel expediter truck would qualify ,in the south , to use the 6 wheel or less lanes. That could be an advantage to those with the super single tandems that they would not have if they had 10 tires on the truck. It would not help in california as their speed limit is 55 for 3 axels or more, 70 for 2 axels. Have not heard anything about this and was wondering if any one knew conclusively?

I find it humorous that you ask a question on this forum then ridicule an answer to your question. If you had compasion you would thank the responder, then wait for other answers.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Linda, how often does Bob polish that slow moving vehicle (SMV) triangle on your back door?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of alternate definitions..
I've heard of the term 'super single(s)' in reference to... a team that isn't always a team.. like, a solo that can become a team at times.. has anyone heard this term used in this context before?

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
What about SS on vans? Years ago when sport trucks were "in" there was a thing called a phantom dually. This was a regular pickup fitted with dually fenders and super wide (around 18" or more) rubber. I see that Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels still makes this type of tire and the wheels are availble but it is intended as a drag tire and they don't list the load range

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot
Bob has to keep the slow moving triangle on the back of the truck polished often to keep us from getting run over! Those of us that listen to Kevin Rutherford on XM keep trying to get him to get a Kevin Cruisen Triangle for us slow ones due to listening to him!

Nightcreacher all I can see is you running like the devil is after you if you thought a women was going to get serious! Hope you are staying busy and staying out of trouble.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well to each is her or his own for that matter. Now U got to admit to this super Singles on a tractor not a good a Idea for Ice Roads Snow roads Mud Roads or for that matter Wet pavement roads. The Tractor will get loose as a goose so to speak. It dont matter how much fuel U be saven withem.
First and formost is safety.
I wouldnt use em if my life depended on em on the mud snow or ice or wet roads for that matter. Maybe if your going to stay in the south and be a fare weather driver then go ahead and get them. Yes u can save monie thats a true statement but using them in the above conditions not a smart thing to do. Like I said the Tractor will get loose as a goose so to speak and U just wont get the traction as U have running dullies. But dont take my word for it ask the ones that Drive in them climates and conditions then U decide for your self. Let no one make that decision for you. Now today while im here at the Petero in Bordentown I ran across a guy who taken the wheels off his Trailer and putting them on his tractor. What he did was buy the super singles for his tractor then put his orginal drives on his trailer rims and all. well now his swaping going to put the Supers on his Trailer and the Orginal drives back on his Tractor I asked him why he said the above Loose as a goose in the Mud Snow Ice and Rain. Interesting. Well any way do what U must but realy think about it is it realy worth the monie new rims and the alike and carrying a special spare just in case to find out U wont like em.
U decide for your self.
have a nice day.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm wondering if the super single tires on a tandem axel expediter truck would qualify ,in the south , to use the 6 wheel or less lanes. That could be an advantage to those with the super single tandems that they would not have if they had 10 tires on the truck.

Six wheels on the truck are six wheels. Ten wheels on the truck are ten wheels. If you have six wheels on the truck, I would think it would be legal to use the six-wheel-or-less lanes. Do I know this conclusively? No, but if an officer of the law disagrees and cites you, I do not believe it would be hard to prove in court that six wheels are six wheels.

What I wonder is, what real difference does it make? We have driven through Atlanta many times with ten wheels and never once found ourselves longing to drive in the six-wheel lanes. How is it an advantage?

And about that 55 mph in California thing, TeamCaffe is not alone. Diane and I never drive faster than 55 mph there.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I see that Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels still makes this type of tire and the wheels are availble but it is intended as a drag tire and they don't list the load range
Yeah ..... but one things for sure - you wouldn't have to worry about the speed rating ..... :D

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Blue Dragon TALK ABOUT QUARLESOM. And yes they do drive 55, anyone else exceeding that it any commercial truck is either being paid hopefully extra, or they are just stupid. One more reason just maybee, THEY AINT PAYING THE FUEL TAB.

So Team C, what is that AVG MPG up to now?