Straight Trucks with APU

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Re: streight trucks with APU

I always park in back for exactly this reason. I have an APU and a reefer (all my loads are refrigerated). I back up as far as possible to stay clear of big truck sleepers. So far, no one has hit me, but I have seen it happen several times.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Our apu always runs. we do try to point it away from everything if possible. We have way to much stuff running inside the truck for it not to run. We do not practice the run the batteries low then charge and repeat. Hard on alternators and batteries. Besides with tv and satellite, roof vent. coffee pot, phones charging, tablet or computer charging and some interior lights they wouldnt last very long. So there is a good reason for them to be running all the time.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'm on my way home to pull the muffler off my Generator, and replace it with a piece of straight pipe.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

We also run the APU on all the time (or Generator pending what truck in in). I sleep in cold. Period. Unless I'm camping in a tent I have an a/c on. That being said, I am very conscious of what side the APU is on and where my exhaust is blowing to keep it from keeping others from sleeping.

I also make sure they are well maintained. There's nothing I hate more than trying to sleep next to someone with an APU that has a whiny belt or pulley. And the muffler has to keep the unit quiet. I prefer the generator. I have to put my foot under to feel the air coming off of it to tell if it's on in some parking lots it's so quiet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

OUrs is on a lot. It is also well taken care of. It is back under the cargo box, so, we can keep the pipe away from other's sleepers

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I make a point of avoiding sleeping at truck-stops entirely, with certain exceptions. Sometimes there's no choice, but--- I'm in a van, and generally that means I get to choose whether I take up space in a truck-stop or go somewhere else. The bigger trucks-- straight or rigs-- don't always have such choices, they have to use the truck-stop parking because for them, often it's the only place there is.

I would note that the laws have made it difficult for truckers. In some places, you can't let the main engine idle for more than a few minutes, so keeping the main engine running to heat or cool the sleeper while the driver takes his mandatory time in the berth is a no-go. You have to run the APU, no getting around it. Thank the "Greens" for that one. I'm not sure there's a real benefit to that, seems to me that tests confirm that small, single or twin-cylinder engines are actually considerably "dirtier" to run than the main powerplant is these days, but-- there it is.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always avoid, if possible, parking my 18 at truck stops for mandatory 10 hr rest breaks. It's usually not too difficult to find somewhere near p/u or delivery in the industrial areas to take a rest break. I have no choice but to park at truck stops for showers but always try to do my showers off peak hours when there's plenty of parking and wait time is likely minimal. This is how I avoid noisy reefers, apu's, and more importantly Swift or Werner from taking my hood off. Although if I am beside a noisy reefer or apu it doesn't tick me off, it sucks but as the saying goes, that's trucking.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Your not getting it there was just about a empty parking lot and they pulled in the spot next to me

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your not getting it there was just about a empty parking lot and they pulled in the spot next to me

Hmmm, sounds like either bad luck or bad karma????

I don't have an apu and I only idle my truck when it's under 30 or over 90. And I only park in the front when there is no spots left in the back.

Sent from my LG-D500 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
John, I've got some bad news for you. Last time I checked, you don't own the parking lot. That means you can't make anybody park far away from your van, even if the lot is almost empty. Now, you can call the other fellow bad names if that makes you feel better, but facts are facts and the fact is you don't own that lot. Period. Might as well get used to the noises in truck-stops if you're gonna sleep there.

While I'm thinking about it: A number of vans in this business are equipped with generators and air-conditioners that run off of the generators. It gets STINKING HOT in some places, sometimes even with a breeze blowing. Even at night. Y'all might want to consider that if you're going to spend time sleeping in your vehicle.

Last edited:

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Lol no I don't own the parking lot but some things should be observed out here and I have found that some people have very little manners and its basically rude bet I understand that my rights end when they are around I see that in lines at shippers and recivers truckstops etc and I'm sorry for all of you I have offended but get your mufflers and etc replaced I can idle to but its stupid to burn fuel and make uneasily noises in a parking lot

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol no I don't own the parking lot but some things should be observed out here and I have found that some people have very little manners and its basically rude bet I understand that my rights end when they are around I see that in lines at shippers and recivers truckstops etc and I'm sorry for all of you I have offended but get your mufflers and etc replaced I can idle to but its stupid to burn fuel and make uneasily noises in a parking lot
Would you maybe post a pic of your van so I know which one I should make sure to park next to?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yes carrier rule. Some states. Canada and many shippers. Then, there have been many shippers who have WANTED us to be armed.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes carrier rule. Some states. Canada and many shippers. Then, there have been many shippers who have WANTED us to be armed.

I understood that all the states have a pass thru allowance... I just got fast and you can take pistols in that have over a 4 inch barrel as long as you jump through their hoops...