Straight Trucks with APU

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I just read this thread. Only two points from me. For starters, I never parked in the back when I was on the road. Leave that to the big trucks. And my other point is in reply to why would someone run an APU when the weather is nice. What exactly is a driver supposed to do while he's waiting for the next load? When I was parked I was watching TV, using my computer, cooking food, playing my Playstation, or sometimes all of the above. How is someone supposed to power all those devices? Oh, maybe people should just sit there twiddling their thumbs because the noise might get on someone's nerves. Don't like the noise at the truck stop, then park at Wal Mart.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Ok I've complaned enough but apus need to be serviced and kept in running order plus your sposta be resting between loads

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Give it a break, there is obviously no way to explain. This has just about went as far as it can !!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just WOW. Up to 106 posts counting my own. All this over a loud generator. Really? I would be tempted to pull the muffler off of one if I knew it generated this much entertainment.:cool:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Re: streight trucks with APU

As long as you continue thinking like that, and more particularly whining about it, you're gonna have a hard time here. Truck stops-- and Interstate rest-stops, which I favor-- are noisy places. Trucks idle, refrigeration units cycle, and in places where the main engine can't be idled-- the State of Pennsylvania being one of these places-- APUs are running. You get used to it, or you spend the cash on a decent motel room for the night.
Or for that matter get a sleazy hotel and really enjoy the noises!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Best line in the thread :D

The second best would be the answer to "Why spend $40-60 on a motel"?
Because I can.
When I don't, it's because it's so nice to park next to someone and keep them awake with the APU I won't get fixed because then I couldn't spoil anyone's rest.
You caught me. :rolleyes: