Straight poop

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I noticed on some other forums, Panther bashing! Trying to get the most update info as in miles for o/o straight truck. Do fleet owners get preferential treatment on the load board? Please, any solo o/o's of straight trucks, please pm me. Any info you could pass on would be great. I will probably reply with a few more questions. Happy New Year all. Be safe.:confused:

guido4475

Not a Member
I personally think most larger carriers prefer dealing with a fleet owner instead of a single owner-operator for many reasons.If I were the owner of Peckerhead Trucking, and needed to hire 20 new owner-operators,would you want to go through this process 20 different times, or just make one call to a fleet owner and tell him, I need 20 trucks/drivers? I would think the fleet owner would have his ducks in a row and have every one pre-quailified, ready to go_One call does it all.Not to say a single o/o wont.

Even though this sounds good to a trucking company, this can be just as bad as well as dangerous.Imagine if Mr fleet owner gets ****ed off at Mr Peckerhead trucking and decides to pull his trucks all at once.Not a good thing for the trucking co.

This is why I think it is much safer for a trucking co to hire single o/o's instead of a large fleet owner.But From what I have seen and heard,some co's that have a fleet owner will give preferential treatment as to hang onto them.I'm just sayin.

fortwayne

Not a Member
I would think a company would prefer to deal with a fleet owner, however, like it was said in the first reply, if that fleet owner gets erked off he could pull the whole fleet and leave the company in a tad of a pickle.

But, as a fleet owner, one might consider placing say 10 trucks over with company ABC and the other 10 trucks over with XYZ, thereby having a little bit of muscle and pull with two different companies.

Bottom line, for the company I see advantages and downsides on dealing with the fleet owner. But if you have 20 bad drivers you still have 20 problems to take care of as a company no matter if its 20 calls to one owner or 20 calls to several owners.

Point is - the company will want to make sure the drivers in the fleet meet their standards no matter what - because the key to a successful fleet or to the company is the person in the truck.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I would think a company would prefer to deal with a fleet owner, however, like it was said in the first reply, if that fleet owner gets erked off he could pull the whole fleet and leave the company in a tad of a pickle.

But, as a fleet owner, one might consider placing say 10 trucks over with company ABC and the other 10 trucks over with XYZ, thereby having a little bit of muscle and pull with two different companies.

Bottom line, for the company I see advantages and downsides on dealing with the fleet owner. But if you have 20 bad drivers you still have 20 problems to take care of as a company no matter if its 20 calls to one owner or 20 calls to several owners.

Point is - the company will want to make sure the drivers in the fleet meet their standards no matter what - because the key to a successful fleet or to the company is the person in the truck.

Makes a lot of sense about the Fleet Owners and a company wanting to keep them in their hip pocket, but how does Panther treat their solo straight truck o/o's. The other side of the coin, in my opinion, I would think a company would want to do business with several o/o's that have a financial stake in the sucess of their company as well as the company leased on to. Is the 1st in 1st out run honestly? Are the miles divied up fairly and equally? These are some of the questions I would like to ask of a o/o leased on to Panther. Please PM me.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As the Operation Manager for two different fleets I would say that your wrong. If that was the case I would have all 15 trucks on a load everyday. Panther doesn't have a fleet owner Rep on the driver councel, which I would do if asked because I live down the street from Panther. I can say that Sean K. is fair with everyone, he don't care if you have 20 trucks with Panther

ndfan

Seasoned Expediter
i have driven for panther in the past first in first out work most of the time even if they drive for a fleet owner

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Is the 1st in 1st out run honestly? Are the miles divied up fairly and equally? These are some of the questions I would like to ask of a o/o leased on to Panther. Please PM me.

Is every truck run with the same determination? Does every driver give it his/her all? If not, should the lackluster drivers get the same as the go-getters?

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
as much as I've cussed panther over the years they try to run a fair system but between nose pickers and people that think panther owes them it makes it very hard to dispatch but with their constant change over of dispatch i don't see how they could pick out and give fleet drivers and better runs than o/o one week it's great and one week its bad but with this new board system and they dispatch on a 30 mile from shipper the first out really no longer counts unless your in the thirty miles

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Is every truck run with the same determination? Does every driver give it his/her all? If not, should the lackluster drivers get the same as the go-getters?

Good point T, however I find it hard to believe that a o/o with a substantial investment in their business is going to be a slacker!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
as much as I've cussed panther over the years they try to run a fair system but between nose pickers and people that think panther owes them it makes it very hard to dispatch but with their constant change over of dispatch i don't see how they could pick out and give fleet drivers and better runs than o/o one week it's great and one week its bad but with this new board system and they dispatch on a 30 mile from shipper the first out really no longer counts unless your in the thirty miles

Thanks for the reply Desperado. This is the first time I have heard of the "30 mile from shipper" rule. How does that work specifically?
Thanks and Happy New Year. Be safe.:D

fortwayne

Not a Member
I have drove for the one vehicle owner and the huge fleet owner with Panther and to be honest as far as the driver side went I really didn't see any difference on how I was dispatched or treated.

If you run the runs they offer you and you run the runs on time then you are the key to your own success and the key to the success of your trucks owner-operator.

I don't think it much makes a difference on who you are or who the truck or fleet owner is when it comes to Panther.

Like I said I see ups and downs on the advantage of dealing with large fleet owners as far as Panther goes - but I believe that is why they qualify each driver a fleet owner wants to bring on, that way they know what they have sitting in the drivers seat representing Panther to their customers.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are the miles divied up fairly and equally? These are some of the questions I would like to ask of a o/o leased on to Panther. Please PM me.

I am an O/O leased to Panther:

"Are the miles divied up fairly and equally?" NO! Loads generally go to the nearest truck based on pick-up time, delivery time and other customer requests. If you want miles divvied up fairly and equally check out International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) and look for a labor friendly expedite company.

This is the first time I have heard of the "30 mile from shipper" rule. How does that work specifically?

Yeah, how does that work?

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
shipper calls for truck if your the only truck within 30 miles no mater were your on the board you get first chance at load with these large boards thats the only way to do it

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I am an O/O leased to Panther:

"Are the miles divied up fairly and equally?" NO! Loads generally go to the nearest truck based on pick-up time, delivery time and other customer requests. If you want miles divvied up fairly and equally check out International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) and look for a labor friendly expedite company.

Yeah, how does that work?

Apparently you didn't read the whole thread. While a great organization, I don't care to be a teamster at this time!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
shipper calls for truck if your the only truck within 30 miles no mater were your on the board you get first chance at load with these large boards thats the only way to do it

It should have been that way all along, If it's a quick pickup. We have to service the customers needs.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Apparently you didn't read the whole thread. While a great organization, I don't care to be a teamster at this time!

I guess I just keyed in on the "Are the miles divied up fairly and equally" part of this thread and immediately thought of the IBT.

You might not care to be a Teamster at this time, but did it ever occur to you that the Teamsters not only want you, they need you as a member.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Moot

The teamsters don't care about owner operators. If they did they would be asking us to join. A union in this business was tried at TNT Olex in Canada. It Worked for a few years but TST Expedite bought out TNT Olex and told them if they wanted to stayed lease on with TST they had to sign a new lease and quit the union.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Teamsters are interested in anyone who will sign a card and pay dues.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Every union Wants new membership.You must have a shop that is looking to become union.There steps involved in this.IBT can not control O/O s its just not going to happen.Now a big outfit like Buster brown (ups) is easyly controled by the union. The membership must follow all by laws.Mangament must see to it that senior drivers are Assigned work by seniority.Most large operations have a pick, were as guys come in, and pick there work for ex amount of time.Many motor coach compainies and transit systems are teamsters or Ammalgated transit union.Roadway /Yellow are union shops. There are many who no longer exist.As deregulation helped ruin many good trucking compaines.This dont pretain to Expedite Freight .It was the LTL Freight compainies who took the hit.