Stay Away from Detroit!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay out of the Detroit area today till at least 12 noon. We had a light dusting of snow which quickly melted and then froze on bridges and ramps. Couple that with many around here forget how to drive in winter from year to year and everything is a mess. Roads shut down all over the area. If you are alread stuck, try to find some coffee, some of these messes might take awhile to clear. Layoutshooter

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah, I just read about the current conditions in Metro Detroit. Some parts of I-75 have been shut down by the Michigan state police and there have been numerous roll overs and accidents on the highways this morning. The Automobile Club of America has received Hundreds of calls about cars stuck in ditches. It's pretty bad out there! Here is a link that will better describe the conditions in Metro Detroit and the surrounding areas.

Snow showers, slick roads make for rough morning commute | The Detroit News | detnews.com

Remember to stay safe out there this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know what it is, but when the roads gets slick in Michigan, icy, snowy, they're the slickest roads I've ever seen. It's unreal.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Poor road drainage. They cut corners here to keep the costs down. They tend to skimp on sub-straight prep which is expensive. Short term thinking since it causes pre-mature suface failure. Layoutshooter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It must be that. I've seen some slick roads, but nothing compared to up here. Couple of years ago driving through Kalamazoo, in the middle of all that construction, the roads started icing up. Anywhere else it would have been OK. In an instant there were hundreds of cars and trucks just sliding off the side of the road. It was all I could do to keep out of the mess and get off the Interstate.

You'd think that up here, what with all the truck traffic and the temperature swings, that they'd have 2 or 3-foot road beds (like they're now finally doing on parts of I-75). Ever been on the southbound on-ramp by the basketball? You need a Jeep to drive on that thing. Holy crap.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would require forward thinking, intelligence and a new governor. Never happen. Layoutshooter

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Well, we may be getting a new Governor soon. I heard over the weekend that Obama may be considering her for some cabinet position. Boy, wont that be something. She can take all of her wonderful policy's that have worked so well here and implement them nationally. (smirk)

AmericanLaw

Seasoned Expediter
Stay out of the Detroit area today till at least 12 noon. We had a light dusting of snow which quickly melted and then froze on bridges and ramps. Couple that with many around here forget how to drive in winter from year to year and everything is a mess. Roads shut down all over the area. If you are alread stuck, try to find some coffee, some of these messes might take awhile to clear. Layoutshooter

I thought you were going to say there weren't any good loads there. I was goign to tell you that isn't new news. lol

The Law

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I left Detroit around 3, (heading for warmer climes, hooray!:D) and had no problems at all, beyond the usual crummy (& crumbly) road surfaces.