starting to drive for fleet owner with cargo vans!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is a lousey CV for crying outloud...there is too many out here now...if a person wants to enter this profession he should be able to afford a van and have proper credit..or GET OUT...

Just because you want every cargo van driver to have good credit doesn't mean that it will ever happen. Your definition of reality is not what the current reality is. Sorry to give you a hard time, but your viewpoint is skewed some son! There are a lot of fleet owners out here and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just because you want every cargo van driver to have good credit doesn't mean that it will ever happen. Your definition of reality is not what the current reality is. Sorry to give you a hard time, but your viewpoint is skewed some son! There are a lot of fleet owners out here and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Just the way I feel about it Blizz....we agree to disagree...:)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just the way I feel about it Blizz....we agree to disagree...:)

I am just messing with you too man. We are the bottom of the food chain and it isn't gonna get any better until Chevy and Ford stop producing cargo vans. lol. Fleet owners, newbies, retirees, and drivers just site seeing are a fact of life for us van people. The downed economy has a lot of people crawling out of the woodworks to get into vans. I feel sorry for these people. It's not a good time right now, but even some fools can make money during a bad economy! They always do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just messing with you too man. We are the bottom of the food chain and it isn't gonna get any better until Chevy and Ford stop producing cargo vans. lol. Fleet owners, newbies, retirees, and drivers just site seeing are a fact of life for us van people. The downed economy has a lot of people crawling out of the woodworks to get into vans. I feel sorry for these people. It's not a good time right now, but even some fools can make money during a bad economy! They always do.

I've seen way too many good people go under because they just did not "get it"...led down the garden path by recruiters and fleet owners to get someone in the drivers seat...seriously someone that desperate would be better flippin burgers and being home every night then what is out here.....some newbees see us making it...but they have no idea the sacrifices and experience it takes to make a living at it....I mean a 40-60 driver spends 7 days a week 24 hours a day ready to go....to make what 250-400 a week not subtracting meals and such....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not at all. the question stands: what business is it of theirs?
anything that can effect a carriers business is their business...disgruntled drivers whining on the dock...pee poor service because the driver just does not care anymore...
vans not kept in good care....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It is a lousey CV for crying outloud...there is too many out here now...if a person wants to enter this profession he should be able to afford a van and have proper credit..or GET OUT...

Ah! A guild!

Look, I realize there are too many of us out here, and sometimes I cringe when I see experienced drivers telling wannabes they should go ahead and enter the profession. Nobody, good credit or bad, should be signed on until the economy picks up or at least 30 percent of us have retired. but the credit criteria you raise is merely your opinion, and I'm not sure on what basis you would impose it on the rest of the industry. It doesn't affect you whether the driver of the van parked next to yours has a wallet full of platinum cards or has creditors chasing him. It would be equally valid for me to say that only drivers with brown hair should be in the industry.

That said, I would like to see fewer of us out here. They say when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. so maybe the first thing we should do is start being honest with wannabes. When somebody asks about the industry, we should be telling them how little work there is out here. In other words, stop adding it to the excess before we dictate who should go home.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah! A guild!

Look, I realize there are too many of us out here, and sometimes I cringe when I see experienced drivers telling wannabes they should go ahead and enter the profession. Nobody, good credit or bad, should be signed on until the economy picks up or at least 30 percent of us have retired. but the credit criteria you raise is merely your opinion, and I'm not sure on what basis you would impose it on the rest of the industry. It doesn't affect you whether the driver of the van parked next to yours has a wallet full of platinum cards or has creditors chasing him. It would be equally valid for me to say that only drivers with brown hair should be in the industry.

That said, I would like to see fewer of us out here. They say when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. so maybe the first thing we should do is start being honest with wannabes. When somebody asks about the industry, we should be telling them how little work there is out here. In other words, stop adding it to the excess before we dictate who should go home.

I try not to encourage any newbee into a CV...It is a tough go out here...I try to be honest as I can....
A room with 10 newbees...look around the room..9 will not be around in a year from now....is what I'd say....and I agree..all the credit cards and cash does not make one successful....just prolongs the agony..if you don't have what it takes it won't matter...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey, OVM, do you like my companies advertisement of the cargo van. Here is what I have posted on my companies website.

Innovative Shipping
Have you heard of the Cargo Van?

Do you know that Cargo Vans are not regulated by the Department of Transportation!

This means that your just in time shipments can arrive at their destination faster in a Cargo Van!

Call us today at:

and ask us what our fleet of Cargo Vans, Sprinter Vans, and Box Trucks can do for your business.

Ha ha!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, OVM, do you like my companies advertisement of the cargo van. Here is what I have posted on my companies website.

Innovative Shipping
Have you heard of the Cargo Van?

Do you know that Cargo Vans are not regulated by the Department of Transportation!

This means that your just in time shipments can arrive at their destination faster in a Cargo Van!

Call us today at:

and ask us what our fleet of Cargo Vans, Sprinter Vans, and Box Trucks can do for your business.

Ha ha!!
You advertise that?

Monty

Expert Expediter
It might actually be a good ad, but it sure is poorly worded .... I kinda took away, "We can push our drivers in the vans harder than regular drivers" .... or something to that affect.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You advertise that?

Yes I do man. I'm gonna add a youtube video of a cargo van being loaded while a big truck tries to back into a dock. The cargo van will be loaded and gone before the bigger truck even bumps the dock. It's going to have audio and someone saying "by the time this semi even backs up to the dock and releases it's air brakes, your shipment will have already been loaded and gone!" Call us today and we will send in a cargo van to handle your just in time shipment! lol

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
This guy ask our advice.He ask for some numbers. What did he get? Nothing. Go away! It is not for you! Team with cargo van is bad. Cargo van is bad.Fleet owners are bad . Do not come in this business. C'mon guys ,guys ,you can do it much better. This forum turned in some personal disputes ,ironies , discouragement .When I started this business I had ZERO money and my first question was, what type of van should I buy and how to finance. Thanks to this forum now I have 15 vans all paid . So please DO NOT DISCOURAGE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO COME IN THIS FIELD.Give them numbers and let they decide if is good for them or not. Give advices how to do profitable this job.

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
Heres what I know:

I know a guy who had a small fleet had them all on with his carriers. He paid drivers 36cpm, gave them prepaid fuel cards, gave them a part of any dh pay he got, paid tolls, faxes, and gave the drivers any detention pay. One of his drivers was new and he used his experiance with the fleet owner to decide if he wanted to do this gig on his own. The driver learned the ropes he found out about the downside while under the wing of the fleet owner. When gas went up 25% and freight pay only 5% the fleet owner disbanded. The driver decided yes he wanted to do this so he bought the van from the fleet owner and got his own authority.

The fleet owner was with multiple carriers. The fleet owner also had plenty of startup money so the drivers never went without pay, they got paid before the fleet owner got his money from the carriers, they didnt want for gas and when an unfortunite breakdown happened to one of the vans the driver wasn't left stranded or without a van the owner gave up his while the other van was being fixed.

That was an example of a good fleet owner and a common sense driver. The fleet owner had other drivers that didnt work out, they found out this life wasnt for them. That combination benefited both sides. The driver made some money while learning and the fleet owner did to. And they both decided what to do about their situations in the process.

Maybe if someone is new it might be a good thing to drive for someone for a few months to see if they like it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This guy ask our advice.He ask for some numbers. What did he get? Nothing. Go away! It is not for you! Team with cargo van is bad. Cargo van is bad.Fleet owners are bad . Do not come in this business. C'mon guys ,guys ,you can do it much better. This forum turned in some personal disputes ,ironies , discouragement .When I started this business I had ZERO money and my first question was, what type of van should I buy and how to finance. Thanks to this forum now I have 15 vans all paid . So please DO NOT DISCOURAGE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO COME IN THIS FIELD.Give them numbers and let they decide if is good for them or not. Give advices how to do profitable this job.

We don't want to discourage anyone...Just want to put the darkside out there as well...this is no honeymoon here...
Mike...Was it easy for you?....take a lot of hours and dedication?.....

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
We don't want to discourage anyone...Just want to put the darkside out there as well...this is no honeymoon here...
Mike...Was it easy for you?....take a lot of hours and dedication?.....

No, was not easy, it is not easy and probably I would not start it again . But when I started the gas was $2, the tires was 70-70% from what are now, the parts was cheaper . Rate per miles was same or higher.But now I'm in ...and probably I will stay a while :) .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After reading this thread it just shot my plan to add 1000 vans on this year. :D