Stand Alone Sleeper

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Question:

I am doing some research on a "Stand Alone" sleeper unit.

A sales associate told me that the D.O.T. requires some type of communication device linking the cab of the truck to the sleeper.

I guess I could understand that requirement (I haven't found the regulation yet) if one were running as a team.

Is it a regulation?

Does it apply to trucks being operated only as a solo unit?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have not heard about that one. Rest assured. Either my wife or I can yell loud enough to have communications between the cab and sleeper. Layoutshooter

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Layoutshooter,

Understand that this sleeper is not attached to the cab of the truck.

There is no "walk through" from the driver or passenger seating.

It is a non-integral unit.

Based upon that information, what say the D.O.T. experts.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL!! I knew what you meant!!! WE STILL would have plenty of communications under those circumstances!!! I have not idea what the DOT says. Just a touch of humor. Layoutshooter

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I'm surprised no one else has brought this up, but why would you want to stand while sleeping? I find it much more restful to lie down when sleeping, even in a CV.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is one of the most intelligent answers I have ever heard old Prof. I too try to start off my sleep period laying down. This was not always the case. Many Army parties seen my self and many other starting off a sleep period while drinking many different and varied "Adult Type Drinks" Many heads were damaged by the affects of those drinks and the brusing when the "Blasted Trooper" hit the floor. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
you can call AA sleepers
1-800-227-5337
when i was there i seeing that they made just that for a truck that work at the oil fields ,so they might know the reg.

there is no spacial way to built a sleeper for teams or solo use.
that's why even in a truck with a short roof ,and not double bunk , they still need to install a safety net for the bed.

just wonder what is it exactly that you are trying to built ?

Moose.
KC

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thanks to all that replied.

I appreciate the humor.

Terry sent me a Private Message with the exact D.O.T. ruling.

A tip of the hat to Terry.

I don't want the bunk attached to the cab for several reasons.

1. After the useful chassis life has expired it is much easier to market a used chassis with an intact truck cab.

2. It is cost effective. It cost less to install a "Stand Alone" sleeper at the onset and again when you transfer it to a new chassis.

3. The sound proofing qualities are greater when sounded by four insulated walls; therefore, one can sleep better.

4. The ability to cool and heat a "Stand Alone" sleeper is markedly easier. The huge amount glass inside a truck cab transmits a great deal of cold and heat from the outside to the inside. Moreover, it is also a transmitter of sound; that is, more noise into the proximity of the sleeper bunk.

5. If you heat the bunk with a APU or an Espar unit there is a tendency for the inside windows of the cab to frost and in real cold temperatures they ice over on the inside. That problem is eliminated with a "Stand Alone" sleeper. Obviously you still may get some frost on the inside windows of sleeper, but when you are ready to fire up the truck you don't have to wait 20 minutes for the ice to melt from the inside windows.

6. The integrity of the truck cab is maintained producing a quieter driving experience. Many of the integral sleeper units I have driven are prone to squeaks and the noise from personal items shifting and rattling around in the sleeper unit is an annoyance.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I'm glad you found the regulation. But what IS the regulation? Can you use wireless devices for the comm link?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The use of American Sign Language to communicate between a person in the cab of a motor vehicle and the sleeper is permissible provided both parties can read a reverse image of American Sign Language. Kinda like setting type but without the fear of lead poisoning.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the tip.

unfortunately for me I only know one sign and it is likely to trigger a negative response from most co-drivers...

Interestingly enough the one sign I know happens to have the exact same meaning transposed! :D

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Moot...I needed that.

Actually, the comunications issue was answered by Terry, but now some sleeper sales associates are telling me that you must have direct access from the sleeper into the cab. Other sleeper manufacturers are saying it is permissible to have the unit for which I have interest.

The ruling seems to indicate that you must have direct access from the cab...unless...the "Stand Alone" sleeper has two entry/exit doors. The "or" before ruling (c)(2)(ii) appears to allow for having a "Stand Alone" sleeper, but having doors "located at opposite ends of the vehicle" hopefuly means the left and right side of the sleeper unit.

Take a look and weigh in on your evaluation of the ruling.

b)(2) A sleeper berth located within the cargo space of a motor vehicle must be securely compartmentalized from the remainder of the cargo space. A sleeper berth installed on or after January 1, 1953 must be located in the cab or immediately adjacent to the cab and must be securely fixed with relation to the cab.

(c) Exit from the berth. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, there must be a direct and ready means of exit from a sleeper berth into the driver’s seat or compartment. If the sleeper berth was installed on or after January 1, 1963, the exit must be a doorway or opening at least 18 inches high and 36 inches wide. If the sleeper berth was installed before January 1, 1963, the exit must have sufficient area to contain an ellipse having a major axis of 24 inches and a minor axis of 16 inches.

(c)(2) A sleeper berth installed before January 1, 1953 must either:

(c)(2)(i) Conform to the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section; or

(c)(2)(ii) Have at least two exits, each of which is at least 18 inches high and 21 inches wide, located at opposite ends of the vehicle and useable by the occupant without the assistance of any other person.

(d) Communication with the driver. A sleeper berth which is not located within the driver’s compartment and has no direct entrance into the driver’s compartment must be equipped with a means of communication between the occupant and the driver. The means of communication may consist of a telephone, speaker tube, buzzer, pull cord, or other mechanical or electrical device.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
The ruling seems to indicate that you must have direct access from the cab...unless...the "Stand Alone" sleeper has two entry/exit doors. The "or" before ruling (c)(2)(ii) appears to allow for having a "Stand Alone" sleeper, but having doors "located at opposite ends of the vehicle" hopefuly means the left and right side of the sleeper unit.

What I take from the or part is it is still for sleepers installed before 1953. But even today you sure don't need much of an opening (18" high X 36" wide)

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
(d) Communication with the driver. A sleeper berth which is not located within the driver’s compartment and has no direct entrance into the driver’s compartment must be equipped with a means of communication between the occupant and the driver. The means of communication may consist of a telephone, speaker tube, buzzer, pull cord, or other mechanical or electrical device.

LoL buzzer? pull cord? speaker tube? Good stuff. Thanks for posting that. Sounds like those were the good ol days...

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

sounds like this is a tractor sleeeper item. i have seen a few tractors with rear exit doors with the sleeper on a long chassis. for a straight truck it would have to be left and right.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Aquired one o them stand alones last fall. Shee's a 38 footer an hinges in the middle. Not much room for freight, but she's got a super slide, and the real truckers get pizzed when I take up two spots. Detatching the power unit is bout a 5 minute exercise, so's I can make a wally run, or a pub run, or a run run. No CDL required, and I wish y'all had turned me on to this type equipment wayyy sooner. Yepper, I be joining the elite expediters now. Jes one thing tho, no ones asked for a tour yet.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

b)(2) A sleeper berth located within the cargo space of a motor vehicle must be securely compartmentalized from the remainder of the cargo space. A sleeper berth installed on or after January 1, 1953 must be located in the cab or immediately adjacent to the cab and must be securely fixed with relation to the cab.

(c) Exit from the berth. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, there must be a direct and ready means of exit from a sleeper berth into the driver’s seat or compartment. If the sleeper berth was installed on or after January 1, 1963, the exit must be a doorway or opening at least 18 inches high and 36 inches wide. If the sleeper berth was installed before January 1, 1963, the exit must have sufficient area to contain an ellipse having a major axis of 24 inches and a minor axis of 16 inches.

(c)(2) A sleeper berth installed before January 1, 1953 must either:

(c)(2)(i) Conform to the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section; or

(c)(2)(ii) Have at least two exits, each of which is at least 18 inches high and 21 inches wide, located at opposite ends of the vehicle and useable by the occupant without the assistance of any other person.

Well thank God the good lord made me good at math at least :eek:

Aquired one o them stand alones last fall. Shee's a 38 footer an hinges in the middle. Not much room for freight, but she's got a super slide, and the real truckers get pizzed when I take up two spots. Detatching the power unit is bout a 5 minute exercise, so's I can make a wally run, or a pub run, or a run run. No CDL required, and I wish y'all had turned me on to this type equipment wayyy sooner. Yepper, I be joining the elite expediters now. Jes one thing tho, no ones asked for a tour yet.

May EYE have a tour?