Sprinter vs Cargo van?

TRoss1776

Active Expediter
I'm getting ready to purchase my first van this spring. I have over 4 yrs experience in expediting...mostly straight trucks...with the last year being in a Sprinter. I do love the Sprinter, but another driver told me about the Terramaxx. I would like to hear opinions about the two from drivers with more experience in sprinters and cargo fans.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

TRoss1776

Active Expediter
If I go with a van, if like it to be able to hold 3 skids with a load capacity of around 3500. Also being a high top is a priority. My van will basically be my home so I want room. I talked to Tom Meeks at Max automotive and they meet my requirements. Van with features I choose at approx $46,000. My hesitation is that I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who has the Terramaxx. I just started my purchase plan, so I have limited info as of yet.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3500 hundred lbs takes you beyond a sprinter. People do it but not a good move. Make sure you stay under 10001 gvw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Finding a van with 3500 pounds cargo capacity that's also under 10k gvw will be difficult I suspect, especially after it's outfitted for life on the road.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
If I go with a van, if like it to be able to hold 3 skids with a load capacity of around 3500. Also being a high top is a priority. My van will basically be my home so I want room. I talked to Tom Meeks at Max automotive and they meet my requirements. Van with features I choose at approx $46,000. My hesitation is that I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who has the Terramaxx. I just started my purchase plan, so I have limited info as of yet.

If u get terra max u need log books

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's so simple folks. You are either a Cargo Van or Straight Truck. There is no in between. Sprinter and Terra Max guys need to hop into Straight Trucks already! Ha ha.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's so simple folks. You are either a Cargo Van or Straight Truck. There is no in between. Sprinter and Terra Max guys need to hop into Straight Trucks already! Ha ha.

To enlarge on the point: I've driven the 2500 series Sprinter. It had a GVWR of 8550, that allowed me just over 2900 pounds payload (I weighed it, and I carry considerably less personal stuff than many of you do). So, you can fit three skids in because of the length, and of course it's tall enough to stand in, but the payload weight is similar to the Chevy standard van I drive now. Sprinters are really big cargo vans, but only in terms of cubic volume-- not weight.

What I've seen of the Maxx vans hasn't impressed me much. To keep under the magic 10K figure, you give up payload weight. To get the payload up to where it makes sense, you go above 10K and have to log, watch your hours and do all the other DOT stuff that the under-10K guys don't worry about as much. Now you have to figure if that hybrid van is going to make enough for the aggravation, or, since you're over 10K anyway, maybe it's time to go all out and get a straight truck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To enlarge on the point: I've driven the 2500 series Sprinter. It had a GVWR of 8550, that allowed me just over 2900 pounds payload (I weighed it, and I carry considerably less personal stuff than many of you do). So, you can fit three skids in because of the length, and of course it's tall enough to stand in, but the payload weight is similar to the Chevy standard van I drive now. Sprinters are really big cargo vans, but only in terms of cubic volume-- not weight.

Correct, it's the third skid and/or added height that's the advantage not weight capacity in the 2500. The 3500 would give some margin of weight advantage as well but the wheel wells are too intrusive.

TRoss1776

Active Expediter
Thanks everyone. Keeping below 10,000 is essential....not logging means more miles and $$ obviously. I do like the sprinter I drive. Tom Meeks told me I could get a Terramaxx with gvw of 9,900 with load vopacity of about 3,300 but I failed to ask if that included the added weight of my option( hydrolic bed, 3500 inverter and extra battery.) I think I'm leaning towards a sprinter now.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone. Keeping below 10,000 is essential....not logging means more miles and $$ obviously. I do like the sprinter I drive. Tom Meeks told me I could get a Terramaxx with gvw of 9,900 with load vopacity of about 3,300 but I failed to ask if that included the added weight of my option( hydrolic bed, 3500 inverter and extra battery.) I think I'm leaning towards a sprinter now.
A waterbed adds a lot of extra, unnecessary weight.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get by with a camping cot and an air mattress. I don't even want to think of a waterbed and the issues that brings to the table. And here I thought it was something to have several batteries, a refrigerator and a TV, with all the weight that represents.

Something to consider if you're driving a CV/Sprinter: Anything that you bring along as part of your "house" adds a certain amount of weight-- which in the trade we call "tare weight" to your vehicle. You already have only a limited amount of payload weight to begin with, so any and all tare weight chews into that. A waterbed can weigh an enormous amount, and that weight comes right off the top of what you can haul to begin with. Turtle carries four batteries in his "house battery" package and that's close to 400 lbs right there. Add a refrigerator and a TV--- and before long you've got a great RV but a terrible expedited vehicle. It's a balancing act, and that means we do without a lot of stuff we thought we couldn't live without until we started doing expedited in vans and had to make do with limited space and limited weight capacities. Think like a camper that will have to carry all you need on a backpack: Start trimming everything you don't have to have, and make what you do have to have as light as possible.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle carries four batteries in his "house battery" package and that's close to 400 lbs right there. Add a refrigerator and a TV--- and before long you've got a great RV but a terrible expedited vehicle.
It's an excellent expedited vehicle. I've got just about 400 pounds in the batteries and the cabling hardware, 100 pounds for the fridge/microwave, probably 10 pounds for the printer/scanner/copier, the TV weighs about 5 pounds, the satellite receiver box weighs about the same, the sat receiver dish weighs less than 3 pounds including mounting hardware. I do have a hefty bunk and shelving that's probably 150 pounds or more. I also carry several tools with me and lots of persona stuff. As for the tools, I do try to make those as multi-tooled as possible with GearRatchet sockets and bits and a mutli-bit screwdriver set, and a couple of Swiss Army Knives that come in handy on a daily basis, instead of a bunch of dedicated tools.

My current hauling capacity is about 2600 pounds. Hardly terrible. There are plenty of less-than 2600 pound loads out there. I haul them all the time.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, Turtle, I think you're driving something a bit beefier than a 2500 anyhow. All those goodies and you still get 2600 lbs--- that suggests you're driving a 3500 series van.

I've been thinking a bit about the printer/scanner/copier, and wondering what would work in a van. A lot of those machines are sensitive enough that they won't survive in our environment, so-- what do you use?

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I pretty much ignore the 8550 limit and stay very cognizant of the 10k rule....I tracked loads for 2 years running a very heavy tare...around 7200#... I only went over manufacturer specs less than 20% of the loads...

Printer scanners....it's less than a hundred bucks...they really don't break too often...if it does..buy a new one

Put your money into an espar heater, a Honda generator and a good inverter...pref true sine wave....a good aux battery is a good idea too...

Your van is dynamic...it will never be "done"... Make it flexible...easy to add new options as money and new tech becomes available...

Just be sure to be warm....or cool when needed..sleep comfortably...and be able to carry max cargo volume up to 2500#....and most of all...

...enjoy the ride!

TRoss1776

Active Expediter
Who brought up a waterbed?? Lol. The bed I mentioned is a simple bed on metal posts that can raise the bed so an additional skid can fit. I really only want a bed, nice inverter and an extra battery. I keep as little as I can in the sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First and foremost..It is a work truck...it is your money maker....Whilst you should be as comfortable as PRACTICALLY possible...you want comfort??...get a room or go home....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My take is yes it is a work van but there is a fine line in some respects. The more comfortable you are the easier it is to stay on the road and earn money. The more creature comforts you have within reason the longer you stay out which converts to more money long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Get a hold of Hazmat, he has one. There are 5 Cargo Maxs on with Load 1.