sprinter v ford or chevy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is my point, the mechanic a Dodge dealers for the most part are parts changers not real troubleshooting people. They have been conditioned to look at problems and solve them by replacing parts.
Exactly. And I've found out that the training that most Sprinter Techs at Dodge dealers get is minimal training at best. Most go for the initial training for the overview and a few of the particulars, which is a three day class, and then never go back for the additional classes. It's all on the job training after that. My Sprinter tech goes back to each and every class, every 6 weeks.

When you go for the MB training, you are expected to learn not to augment your ability to take something apart and put a new part on, then reassemble it. I had my MB training before my GM training and it was like college and kindergarten - literally.
Mine said the same thing, night and day. Nothing about normal Chrysler maintenance applies to the Sprinter. Toss out all you know and start from scratch.

"I'll just stick with my American slop-bucket.....LOL !!"

There's something to be said for that. :)

dogshed

Seasoned Expediter
So who is doing maintenance now? Mercedes Dealers, Freightliner, or both?

I think the article I read said that the Sprinter dealership will actually be a separate company from the car company in the US.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think anyone ragged on you personally but more generally...You made a statement and didn't expect feedback?

But you are correct sprinters are more high maintainence,
But as far as thousands of thousands of dollars...even Fords and GM's require this after so many miles...just how many fuel pumps and rear ends go into a million mile GM? Quite a few I've heard.
Yes it takes a few more dollars of PM to avoid costly repairs...but to me personally it is worth it.
Will I buy a new one...Not in the plans...I'd rather drop a new engine in when the time comes...

I had to replace my rearend in my 03 Sprinter back in 04 at 140,000 easy miles at a cost of 2500.00. I could of put 3 0r 4 rearends in my Ford or Chevy at that price, and the main reason for high cost is shipping costs from overseas but still it costs more no matter what.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So who is doing maintenance now? Mercedes Dealers, Freightliner, or both?
Both, but it gets murky, sort of.

As of Jan 1, 2010, there are 49 Freightliner dealers who will sell and service the 2010 and later models. All of these Freightliner dealers have already been selling and servicing the earlier year models, and will continue to service both older and newer models. For these Freightliner dealers, it's business as usual, nothing changes.

In addition to the Freightliner dealers, there will be an initial 70 Mercedes-Benz dealerships that will sell and service the model year 2010 and later Sprinters. Up until now, they have been prohibited from servicing (to the point of not being allowed to even order parts) for earlier model year Sprinters. That is no longer the case and the earlier model year Sprinters can also be serviced at these MB dealers. Some will want to take on earlier model years Sprinters, some might not.

Dodge dealers who are former Sprinter dealers will continue to service model year Sprinters that are earlier than the 2010 model year. They will not be able to order parts or perform warranty work on MY2010 and later vehicles. There may be a handful of these Dodge dealers who no longer want to service Sprinters, and nothing (other than the revenue stream to be gained from doing so) says any of them have to. But most will continue to service the models they sold. All of the Dodge Sprinter dealers that I have talked to (admittedly only about 10 of them, tho) say they have no plans to cease Sprinter service.

When I'm at home I have my choice of two very good mechanics who can work on my Sprinter. One is the Sprinter tech at the Chrysler dealer half an hour away in Benton, KY, and the other is my regular mechanic three blocks from my house. While my regular mechanic can certainly do anything that needs to be done on a Sprinter, I prefer to have the uber-specific Sprinter stuff left to the Sprinter tech, stuff that requires that DRB-III tool and all the subtle knowledge that goes along with it. My regular mechanic is the one who does my DOT inspections, and I've had him do things like ball joints, wheel bearings, water pump, basic stuff that I could do myself, but won't.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I have an appointment at the Chrysler dealer to have some work done on mine. I'm sure it will be the standard thousands and thousands of dollars that they always charge me for working on the Sprinter.

I think the article I read said that the Sprinter dealership will actually be a separate company from the car company in the US.
Yeah, it's Daimler Vans USA, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. When Chrysler had it, it was a separate company, as well, Chrysler Vans, LLC, a subsidiary of the Chrysler Group, a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler. Freightliner, a division of Daimler Trucks North America, is also a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG.

Daimler AG is the world's largest truck manufacturer, comprising the Mercedes-Benz (both the Truck Group and the Van Group, of which the Sprinter is a part), Freightliner, Mitsubishi Fuso, Thomas Built Buses, Orion, Setra, Sterling and Western Star. Daimler AG also owns the on-highway division of Detroit Diesel.

I had to replace my rearend in my 03 Sprinter back in 04 at 140,000 easy miles at a cost of 2500.00. I could of put 3 0r 4 rearends in my Ford or Chevy at that price, and the main reason for high cost is shipping costs from overseas but still it costs more no matter what.
Here's a CNN Breaking News Event - it costs more to maintain and repair a Mercedes vehicle than it does a Ford. Anyone who thought otherwise simply didn't pay attention in class.

One thing that's for sure, though, is that you can greatly mitigate the cost of Sprinter repairs by ordering parts online and then supplying the dealer with the necessary parts. In many cases I can get parts at a lower cost than the dealer can, and usually save at least 50% over what a dealer will charge me for the parts. In some cases I can get the parts quicker, too. I have also obtained used parts from low mileage wrecks and saved hundreds. EGR Valve comes to mind. Forty-two bucks, cheap at twice the price.

aileron

Expert Expediter

I could have changed the rear end twice and the transmission once in my sprinter and still come out ahead with the money that I saved on fuel so far. But none of that yet. See my earlier post.

BTW, for those of you that are more mechanically inclined and what a DRB III - like machine that can do 75% of the stuff that a $2000 DRB III will do, but for only $300, send Andy Buttenbinder an e-mail. Well, this is not a stand alone machine like the DRB III, but is a computer software with the apropriate cable for sprinters up to 2006.
Read more about it here:
Sprinter diagnostics is here!!!! - Sprinter-Forum

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This thread is a prime example of American thinking...:(
and the beat goes on...

WHY is anyone comparing a Mercedes to a Ford or GM?

Can't be and should not be done...

Anyone with a logical thought in their brain would know it is going to be a bit more expensive to maintain...

Europeans follow the book and get great wear...on the other hand...

Americans are generally shifty and always trying to cut corners cuzz they think they are running a NASCAR garage!
Americans superior thinking and attitude that they know more then the Germans is what gets them in trouble.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BTW, for those of you that are more mechanically inclined and what a DRB III - like machine that can do 75% of the stuff that a $2000 DRB III will do, but for only $300, send Andy Buttenbinder an e-mail. Well, this is not a stand alone machine like the DRB III, but is a computer software with the apropriate cable for sprinters up to 2006.
Read more about it here:
Sprinter diagnostics is here!!!! - Sprinter-Forum

Thanks, I will add it to my get tools list. I like the idea of finally having the ability to change injectors without the dealer.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
Both, but it gets murky, sort of.

As of Jan 1, 2010, there are 49 Freightliner dealers who will sell and service the 2010 and later models. All of these Freightliner dealers have already been selling and servicing the earlier year models, and will continue to service both older and newer models. For these Freightliner dealers, it's business as usual, nothing changes.

In addition to the Freightliner dealers, there will be an initial 70 Mercedes-Benz dealerships that will sell and service the model year 2010 and later Sprinters. Up until now, they have been prohibited from servicing (to the point of not being allowed to even order parts) for earlier model year Sprinters. That is no longer the case and the earlier model year Sprinters can also be serviced at these MB dealers. Some will want to take on earlier model years Sprinters, some might not.

Dodge dealers who are former Sprinter dealers will continue to service model year Sprinters that are earlier than the 2010 model year. They will not be able to order parts or perform warranty work on MY2010 and later vehicles. There may be a handful of these Dodge dealers who no longer want to service Sprinters, and nothing (other than the revenue stream to be gained from doing so) says any of them have to. But most will continue to service the models they sold. All of the Dodge Sprinter dealers that I have talked to (admittedly only about 10 of them, tho) say they have no plans to cease Sprinter service.

When I'm at home I have my choice of two very good mechanics who can work on my Sprinter. One is the Sprinter tech at the Chrysler dealer half an hour away in Benton, KY, and the other is my regular mechanic three blocks from my house. While my regular mechanic can certainly do anything that needs to be done on a Sprinter, I prefer to have the uber-specific Sprinter stuff left to the Sprinter tech, stuff that requires that DRB-III tool and all the subtle knowledge that goes along with it. My regular mechanic is the one who does my DOT inspections, and I've had him do things like ball joints, wheel bearings, water pump, basic stuff that I could do myself, but won't.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I have an appointment at the Chrysler dealer to have some work done on mine. I'm sure it will be the standard thousands and thousands of dollars that they always charge me for working on the Sprinter.

Yeah, it's Daimler Vans USA, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. When Chrysler had it, it was a separate company, as well, Chrysler Vans, LLC, a subsidiary of the Chrysler Group, a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler. Freightliner, a division of Daimler Trucks North America, is also a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG.

Daimler AG is the world's largest truck manufacturer, comprising the Mercedes-Benz (both the Truck Group and the Van Group, of which the Sprinter is a part), Freightliner, Mitsubishi Fuso, Thomas Built Buses, Orion, Setra, Sterling and Western Star. Daimler AG also owns the on-highway division of Detroit Diesel.

Here's a CNN Breaking News Event - it costs more to maintain and repair a Mercedes vehicle than it does a Ford. Anyone who thought otherwise simply didn't pay attention in class.

One thing that's for sure, though, is that you can greatly mitigate the cost of Sprinter repairs by ordering parts online and then supplying the dealer with the necessary parts. In many cases I can get parts at a lower cost than the dealer can, and usually save at least 50% over what a dealer will charge me for the parts. In some cases I can get the parts quicker, too. I have also obtained used parts from low mileage wrecks and saved hundreds. EGR Valve comes to mind. Forty-two bucks, cheap at twice the price.

At the time I did not know about used parts and there were not that many around in 04. I compare Mercedes to Ford and Chevy because they are Vans used in same line of work. If they are as well built as they claim, that is "Mercedes" than just cause they cost more to repair should be outweighed (sp) more by reliablity because of their great reputation.

My Sprinters as same as new ones are all built with same cheap crap plastic and tinny metal and seems to be less sturdy than Ford ect... I liked the drive and easy manuverability but the Ford has a softer ride and the Chevy is not as bouncy when loaded.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Au contraire, mon frère. The Sprinter is built with expensive crap plastic.

guido4475

Not a Member
Went to the truckstop to top off the fuel tanks today,and, of course,the Lake Erie lake effect snow machine is still going strong for the last few days. But, anyways, I took rt 307 instead of 90, because 90 was a sheet of ice, and I'd rather drive on snow anyway.So I come around the corner, and what do I see? A Sprinter in the ditch staring at me ! To make a long story short, My American slop bucket pulled it out of the ditch like a wet puppy out of a wet paper bag.Pretty impressed with how my Ford is doing in the snow, without snow tires.Sprinter guy called his every name in the book, and I think he even invented a few names as well.He was not a happy camper.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I have. I also worked w/ 50 or so people who also owned em. I'm sure they've fixed some of the quirks that were in em when I owned mine. I'm not bashing the current Sprinters cuz I haven't owned one in a few years. Mine was junk though.

Little things like the defog wasn't enough for the windows. So the windshield was icing up all the time. I'd have to pull over every few miles to take care of this. One of the inside dome lights just popped off. I recall a stretch on 275 where the Sprinter would be real tough to handle where as it wasn't in my Ford.

Of those 50 people I worked w/ I'd guess 35 or so didn't like their Sprinter. While I never had any major problems because I sold mine at about 30,000 miles I recall guys coming in & talking about a $2,000 repair or $5,000 repair or whatever it was. These were on vehicles w/out a lot of miles.

In my case those stories along w/ my experiences were enough to have me unload mine. While I'm not mechanically inclined I took care of my vehicles as well as I could. I'd also be apt to think that most of the people on this board also do. The fact that they're on this board means that more than likely they care enough about their profession to find more information on it. So that right there makes me think that most of the drivers on this board aren't just taking care of their Sprinter like "an American" would.

Some people have had better luck than others w/ these things. It wouldn't suprise me if Sprinters are now great quality. At the same time, I can see where the original poster is coming from.

I wonder how many people that knock sprinters ever actually owned one?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So after reading the latest posts I wondered if Ford ever gets off their a** and brings the Transit to the US market, with a great possibility ending the Econoline series like they did the Crown Vic series, and Chrysler markets the Fiat van to fill the gap that is left by sprinter, and if GM (I mean Obama motors) gets the green light for the green van and elminating the G series, then what are people going to do because the old sytle vans will be the thing of the past.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Be Careful of getting sold the sizzle and not the steak. I still get caught up in that, its a male ego thing,,like ( Hey Mommy, see me ride my bike sprinter) kind of thing. Yep, they say u will get more loads and maybe that's true, but u will need it for ur 700 dollar a month payment, and insurance and fuel, so u got 1200 a month in it and off u go. Did I mention food, clothing, rent, and family stuff...................heaven help the male ego.............I know, I'm old and stupid.............Now go buy that Sprinter b 4 u pop, the Germans need ur money

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Be Careful of getting sold the sizzle and not the steak. I still get caught up in that, its a male ego thing,,like ( Hey Mommy, see me ride my bike sprinter) kind of thing. Yep, they say u will get more loads and maybe that's true, but u will need it for ur 700 dollar a month payment, and insurance and fuel, so u got 1200 a month in it and off u go. Did I mention food, clothing, rent, and family stuff...................heaven help the male ego.............I know, I'm old and stupid.............Now go buy that Sprinter b 4 u pop, the Germans need ur money

you gotta be kidding me? and you think Ford and GM are American owned? Well maybe GM being us taxpayers...

food, clothing, rent, and family stuff;;you mean other van owners don't have this expense?

Your choice to live in a tuna can...no man should be on their knees putting their pants on...*L*

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I hate to be harsh but for years I have been dealing with the people who work designing, building and selling American made products we call cars. They admit to one thing - that the van as we know it is not long for this world.

We have led the world in some amazing things, space travel, war technology and even drugs but we have fallen behind in transportation for both personal and commercial vehicles.

Driving a Ford Transit shows me where Ford is going or could go but they hesitate to change their way of thinking about the American consumer because of their ignorance and worry of rejection. While their competitor - Volkswagen - has been beating them up in Europe, Asia and SA, they still can't come to grips with introducing their world van to the US market and still in the end will lose market share. IF VW can bring their van here, then there is something to be said about the forward thinking of the company. Ford on the other hand has been selling in cabin technology at a time when the country is crying over cell phones and text messaging. They are a few years late (Fiat and Citroen got them beat) and now talking about Internet radio and a bunch of other distractions.

GM, which doesn't sell much outside the US or China is dumping tax money in the wrong places and still has the arrogance to think that the G series van (which is a good van) is right for the world. They sell a lot of them to countries that depend on our tax money (AID) in order to buy them through trickle down. But overall when I was overseas, the only ones driving GM products were either "company" people or US government officials, everyone else had Landrovers, Mercedes or Toyotas - and they didn't break down.

Chrysler on the other hand has been told "no van, no problem" and now there are a few Fiats running around here, even saw a group of vans and 500s the other day making their way to Chesea. I like the 500, I would consider buying one of them if they are not made by a UAW worker. The vans are cool but they are sprinter like. By the way the support vehicle was a MB Vario.

Reality is that the US market is really wanting something more than what is here and has been for almost 40 years. If someone like Toyota comes up with a van for the US market that competes with the sprinter, well that is even less market share that the two US manufacturers will have.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and thats another point,,these foreign vans are superior to the N/A built pieces of crap that a brainless person could just throw together...

Technology vs engineering costs money...hence they are more expensive to fix then duct tape and baling wire...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
v dub and mb are partners in the sprinter/crafter platform. one is the same as the other i am guessing. any number of v dub fans would like the crafter, the tiguan with a diesel and more tdis

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Jack you're right that the VW LT and the Sprinter are made similar and in the same factory. Of course minor differences are engines, trannys and other mfr specific items.

One of the biggest differences between American and Euro mfrs of vans, is not only the height and shape difference but the engine/drivelines. Americans put in these huge engines that eat fuel and the Sprinter has shown that you don't need it. One of the biggest problems coming is whether or not the new vans will come with optional diesel engines. In Europe you can buy a Transit with about 5 different Diesels and only one gas. Same for the Sprinter and in some areas the gas is not even an option offered. Fiat and Renault both make similar van types to the Sprinter.

Back when I started in this industry I used a VW van. It got high 20's mpg. It was rated to carry 1000kg (2200lbs). So deduct me and a little gear and about a ton of cargo could be hauled. It did it rather well. This was with a 4 cyl engine all of a 2L capacity (actually first one had a 1.7L). Not only that but the van fit into a home garage so it could be worked on easily. Couldn't do that with any american van.

Since I like diesel engines and enjoy getting the mpg out of the vans I prefer these engines. I don't like the major extra price tag GM and Ford add on ($9000 up here). So this added price point makes them so expensive it makes sense to actually consider the Sprinter and others like it.

I do like the American van body on frame design idea as it seems better. I like the solidness of the gm vans I've had. But the euro vans offer many things local ones don't. Like others have said you stand up in them, a 5ft skid goes in easily, the seats are better and the cruise in the MB product is way superior to the GM version.
Anywho buy what you like and are comfy with and has the space you need or want.
Rob