Sprinter sleeper, bed help building it or recommend buying it somewhere.

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I have a Freightliner Sprinter 2500 series cargo van 158" which I use it for expediting services. The Sprinter has a metal separator between cabin and cargo. I was wondering if is there any way I can build a sleeper or somehow find somewhere some type of sleeper/bunk bed that I can fold it and put it away when not in use. Any ideas, recommendations, pictures or help will be greatly appreciated. I also looked over the old posts and could not find anything helpful. My concern is space, I need the cargo for my loads.
My other big question is how do you guys stay cool during the hot summer without idling? I was actually searching the internet for one of those AC units that you can install it on the top of your Sprinter. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do a search in truck forum for a thread called "Comfort in a 144" Sprinter" by Erie Big Dawg. Nice setup.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Is it worth it?? thats up to you..you can buy a high dollar folding sofa like eries that serves as a place to sleep and a place to sit comfortably that gets you out from behind the steering wheel, you can buy a foam mattrress and sleep on the floor...or multiple things in between...it is all about just how comfortable you want to be....

Oh, think of any expense spread out over time...not just the up ft cost....

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
There are a lot of ideas already posted, so could you tell us what you would find helpful? Space, weight, ease of use, comfort, and cost seem to be the major variables. Do you have other requirements? Of ideas that are already posted are there ideas close to what you are looking for? What makes these ideas wrong for your application?

eb

shmekeru

Active Expediter
There are a lot of ideas already posted, so could you tell us what you would find helpful? Space, weight, ease of use, comfort, and cost seem to be the major variables. Do you have other requirements? Of ideas that are already posted are there ideas close to what you are looking for? What makes these ideas wrong for your application?

eb

Ideas are a lot but still haven't seen what I am looking for. Definitely not looking for comfort, when I am on the job means I work not searching comfort. Somebody posted a website where you can buy a folding bed that you can have it against the wall when loading 3 skids. I mean 500 $ for a folding bed it seemed expensive to me. My concern is space and actually looking for something that you can put it away or fold it against the wall when not using it. If anyone actually saw or used any type of bed like the one in this picture and I could get the pieces to fit my 06 Sprinter cab, then this will be my best bet. Wondering if is there anybody that custom makes them to fit right. Anybody knows?

attachment.php

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Now we're getting somewhere. I don't know of anyone who makes those, but this is the kind of project I would try to make on my own. I'd start by making templates from sheets of cardboard, transfer the shape to plywood. Maybe add a frame for more rigi.. **** that bottom tab, thought I lost what I was trying to write...rigidity then upholster or leave it unpadded and add a custom mattress.

eb

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
RbComponent.com makes the same wall mount sofa bed in 4 different sizes. From 58" to 76". $525.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Cabela, LL Bean, Camping world and Coleman have some pretty nice cots in the $120 range.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Freightliner Sprinter 2500 series cargo van 158" which I use it for expediting services. The Sprinter has a metal separator between cabin and cargo. I was wondering if is there any way I can build a sleeper or somehow find somewhere some type of sleeper/bunk bed that I can fold it and put it away when not in use. Any ideas, recommendations, pictures or help will be greatly appreciated. I also looked over the old posts and could not find anything helpful. My concern is space, I need the cargo for my loads.
My other big question is how do you guys stay cool during the hot summer without idling? I was actually searching the internet for one of those AC units that you can install it on the top of your Sprinter. Any suggestions?

I have almost the same setup you have. My bed folds up on the wall, drivers side. I made a frame out of 2x2's and clad them with 2x2 metal L shape. Two wood fence gate hinges, the kind that has one long side and one short side. Build two 2x6 3 sided boxes, screw them to the floor and use L shape metal to screw to the wall and box, then screw the long side of the hing to this one, and the short side to the bed frame. I used 1/2 plywood for the bed, with 1x4 for slats. I used 1x4 legs hinged on front of frame, tied together with one long 2x2. This allows all three legs to be moved at once. Very strong frame. When folded to the wall a 6" single mattress fits just fine. I use one of the D rings to attach one end of the strap, and the other end to a slot in the wall. If you mount it right behind your bulkhead, you should have room to lower the bed with two skids on. I paid nothing for this as I had most of it laying around as scarp. The bed is high enough off the floor so you can benifit from the heat. I use to sleep on the floor but it sure was cold.

Cooling- You will see 10 vans and 10 different setups. I have a Honda 2000 watt gen. with a 6 gallon ext tank that gives me 7 gallons. Can run all weedend when full, that powers a 12,000 btu Heater, and A/C made by EdgeStar it is a room AC, works fine.

Or you can hang a hammock however, based on someone else's trail and BIG error I would not recommend it......You just may end up on the floor anyway... :eek:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Steady Eddie wrote:

Or you can hang a hammock however, based on someone else's trail and BIG error I would not recommend it......You just may end up on the floor anyway...

Hey!! I ressemble that remark!!!

:D

Attachments

• IM000274.jpg
    IM000274.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 50

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
You are saying they make sofa cab that you can install it just like in the picture above ?

The picture is not coming thru on my phone. It is the same sofa bed that is pictured in the 144" sprinter. With the mounting adapter you could bolt that too your cargo partition so the the bed will fold up to the cargo partition or mount it like the 144" picture. Either way, it is up out of the way, yet you have comfort while waiting on that next load. Weights only 76#.