Sprinter sleeper, bed help building it or recommend buying it somewhere.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Definitely not looking for comfort, when I am on the job means I work not searching comfort.

When you get a little older you will be rethinking that statement. I agree with Golfornut, if you want comfort at a reasonable price check out Cabelas: Cabela's: Cots

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I have almost the same setup you have. My bed folds up on the wall, drivers side. I made a frame out of 2x2's and clad them with 2x2 metal L shape. Two wood fence gate hinges, the kind that has one long side and one short side. Build two 2x6 3 sided boxes, screw them to the floor and use L shape metal to screw to the wall and box, then screw the long side of the hing to this one, and the short side to the bed frame. I used 1/2 plywood for the bed, with 1x4 for slats. I used 1x4 legs hinged on front of frame, tied together with one long 2x2. This allows all three legs to be moved at once. Very strong frame. When folded to the wall a 6" single mattress fits just fine. I use one of the D rings to attach one end of the strap, and the other end to a slot in the wall. If you mount it right behind your bulkhead, you should have room to lower the bed with two skids on. I paid nothing for this as I had most of it laying around as scarp. The bed is high enough off the floor so you can benifit from the heat. I use to sleep on the floor but it sure was cold.

Cooling- You will see 10 vans and 10 different setups. I have a Honda 2000 watt gen. with a 6 gallon ext tank that gives me 7 gallons. Can run all weedend when full, that powers a 12,000 btu Heater, and A/C made by EdgeStar it is a room AC, works fine.

Or you can hang a hammock however, based on someone else's trail and BIG error I would not recommend it......You just may end up on the floor anyway... :eek:

Eddie I will greatly appreciate if you can upload some pictures of how your setup looks like, so I can have a better image of it .

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eddie I will greatly appreciate if you can upload some pictures of how your setup looks like, so I can have a better image of it .

Well, If I could ever find my lost cable....I have a very old Dell and need that cable to connect cam to 'putter...I'll see if Wifey's will work.....BRB

Attachments

• DSC00304.jpg
    DSC00304.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00306.jpg
    DSC00306.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00319.jpg
    DSC00319.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Now we're getting somewhere. I don't know of anyone who makes those, but this is the kind of project I would try to make on my own. I'd start by making templates from sheets of cardboard, transfer the shape to plywood. Maybe add a frame for more rigi.. **** that bottom tab, thought I lost what I was trying to write...rigidity then upholster or leave it unpadded and add a custom mattress.

eb

Eric,

Yours is as good as mine...... But martins is the big cahuna in our fleet, He has a midway specialties sleeper

shmekeru

Active Expediter
Cooling- You will see 10 vans and 10 different setups. I have a Honda 2000 watt gen. with a 6 gallon ext tank that gives me 7 gallons. Can run all weedend when full, that powers a 12,000 btu Heater, and A/C made by EdgeStar it is a room AC, works fine.
Steady Eddie when using your A/C or heater do you let your windows a lil opened I found people saying on this forum you have to leave your window cracked you have your A/C on all night.
Also what's the brand of the heater you are using?

shmekeru

Active Expediter
OK. Here I am with something neat I found on a European website that does Van Sleeper Converions. The Q is that I have no idea how to build a sleeper like this one and do not know anybody doing this type of conversions here in the US. These pictures are from a company website that does Sprinter conversions in Europe. I could really use some help if anybody knows where I can get this type of conversion done here in U.S.

Thanks again.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: