Sprinter Salesmen Worried

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For what it's worth... I had a candid discussion with a Sprinter salesman regarding the release of the new Ford Transit. To say they are a little concerned would be an understatement. "The Ford Transit will crush the Sprinter"- was the most revealing statement made. Time with tell if this holds true, but I think it's very possible.
Personally, I'm rather concerned about jumping on board for a 1st generation vehicle, given the growing pains that Sprinter has gone through. I think I will take a wait and see approach to the Transit. If anything, hopefully it will knock Sprinter off it's high horse and be more competitively priced. Especially with regards to repair cost.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
For what it's worth... I had a candid discussion with a Sprinter salesman regarding the release of the new Ford Transit. To say they are a little concerned would be an understatement. "The Ford Transit will crush the Sprinter"- was the most revealing statement made. Time with tell if this holds true, but I think it's very possible.
Personally, I'm rather concerned about jumping on board for a 1st generation vehicle, given the growing pains that Sprinter has gone through. I think I will take a wait and see approach to the Transit. If anything, hopefully it will knock Sprinter off it's high horse and be more competitively priced. Especially with regards to repair cost.

I can see maybe the price just abit. But as far as repair cost go, Mercedes Benz has a reputation to uphold. If you want there product, your going to have to pay for it. There not going to build, sale and repair autos for the cost of a Ford, GM, Dodge. Just like they say,
Mercedes Benz, The Best Or Nothing.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Their reputation for Sprinter servicing is horrible, so I guess they're upholding it.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hopefully the Transit will be under 43k or less. I never owned a Sprinter, but have had a few rides in them with other drivers. I like them, but never did want to pay out the money for one.

The many drivers I met did not own the one they were driving either. There were a few that did own their Sprinter. IMHO, you better be running a lot of miles to buy one. The 4 personal friends of mine left in expediting say they could not afford one with the miles they are getting. One is now a sprinter driver for an owner, and 3 are in vans. They are not rookies. They are hard pressed to get 1500 miles a week and usually 1200 is an average. Do the math......

Monty

Expert Expediter
They are not rookies. They are hard pressed to get 1500 miles a week and usually 1200 is an average. Do the math......

Money, not miles ... do the math.

I do believe the Ford and Nissan, (when the high top, long bed versions), reach the market will certainly hurt the Sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hopefully the Transit will be under 43k or less. I never owned a Sprinter, but have had a few rides in them with other drivers. I like them, but never did want to pay out the money for one.

The many drivers I met did not own the one they were driving either. There were a few that did own their Sprinter. IMHO, you better be running a lot of miles to buy one. The 4 personal friends of mine left in expediting say they could not afford one with the miles they are getting. One is now a sprinter driver for an owner, and 3 are in vans. They are not rookies. They are hard pressed to get 1500 miles a week and usually 1200 is an average. Do the math......

Agreed.... Can't do cheap if you have a Sprinter.... If the Dodges are in the 40 range fords are usually more. Sticker shock anyone? Lol

ATeam

Retired Expediter
All 3 have 1 thing in common.... All imports and parts not made here.... All European engineered....

In today's fast-paced, hyper-connected, interdependent, global economy, that holds true for many makes and models, does it not? What was once exotic is now common and is easily obtained.

Reactions: dajablu

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would suspect that if one would have problems within the first few months That replacement parts would be few and far between without a long wait to get them...
I'll will remind you of Todd's Deer hit back in 2010 not even two months into a new model year took 6 to 8 weeks to get parts from Germany now you can get most parts next day delivery Do you really think a Ford dealer in Omaha will have a needed waterpump? In the first year of a new model? On an engine is made in South Africa yet

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one positive thing about the new Ford and Dodge is that they offer gas engines that have been around for years. They also look to be pretty efficient. I wouldn't touch the diesel in either model.