Sprinter Salesmen Worried

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me take a couple of points and give you answers that you might like or dislike.

1. Payload will be the same or better in both Ford and Dodge.

2. MPG will be the same or better with the diesel..

3 Sprinter will still lead the pack when it comes to cargo area length with their 16 foot to both Ford and Dodge 13 foot to 14 food cargo area.

4 Dodge will have more width between the wheel wells then Sprinter 56 to 52 inches., I don't know about Ford

5. Sprinter is only diesel, where as both Ford and Dodge you can get gas

6. Sprinter like Dodge will have a 4cyl diesel and I think ford comes in with a 5cyl (don't quote me on the ford engine)

7. Ford will have the tallest van

8. Dodge Sprinters are not cheap to work on, I have one and I know this from experience.

9. I just about forgot this the Dodge is 73 inches wall to wall, where as the MB is something like 70 inches on the newer ones and 69 on the older Sprinters wall to wall.

In closing it looks like the only advantage for the MB sprinter is the 16 foot cargo area, but you pay for that in higher costs for the van. something like 8K or more then the dodge when you add options, might be the same for the Sprinter Vs Ford.

Gas engines are for wimps LOL, who uses a gas engine in the freight industry ?! Do you ever see any class a or b trucks cruising around on gas? Gas smells bad too the fumes are horrible :) 04-06 T1N Sprinters arn't expensive to maintain I just changed all my filters and fluids and ordered spare turbo and coolant hoses etc. It's like a tad higher then cost of a normal car or truck or if you do the work about the same! Parts are cheap for the most part. I think Mercedes knows they have to step it up in production quality, the bad apple sprinters you saw with "black death" will be a thing of the past! The price of a sprinter is a deal have you seen what the S65 AMG cost?!?! I'm ready for a hybrid diesel sprinter aiming for better city MPG!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Well Canada does a pretty good job building engines for GM's. As far as Egypt what happens if war breaks out? I would say anyone doing business in the great sand box gets what they ask for.

Yeah, lots of camel poop....................

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me take a couple of points and give you answers that you might like or dislike.

1. Payload will be the same or better in both Ford and Dodge.

2. MPG will be the same or better with the diesel..

3 Sprinter will still lead the pack when it comes to cargo area length with their 16 foot to both Ford and Dodge 13 foot to 14 food cargo area.

4 Dodge will have more width between the wheel wells then Sprinter 56 to 52 inches., I don't know about Ford

5. Sprinter is only diesel, where as both Ford and Dodge you can get gas

6. Sprinter like Dodge will have a 4cyl diesel and I think ford comes in with a 5cyl (don't quote me on the ford engine)

7. Ford will have the tallest van

8. Dodge Sprinters are not cheap to work on, I have one and I know this from experience.

9. I just about forgot this the Dodge is 73 inches wall to wall, where as the MB is something like 70 inches on the newer ones and 69 on the older Sprinters wall to wall.

In closing it looks like the only advantage for the MB sprinter is the 16 foot cargo area, but you pay for that in higher costs for the van. something like 8K or more then the dodge when you add options, might be the same for the Sprinter Vs Ford.

The new Ford and Nissan do not reflex your statements above. I've seen both side by side.

BTW: You can get a gas engine in a Sprinter. But, who would want one of those..?

I never said that the Sprinter is a Low Cost Van for Maint., Just some folks are Mis-Leading others, thinking these new vans will be cheaper, in repair cost and MSRP. Just because they have Ford/ Other(s) names on them.

Ford can and will charge up to and beyond MSRP, only due to the fact, they are the only ones out there. Remember the PT Cruiser, when they first hit the dealerships the were selling them 3,000 over MSRP. And people were buying them...

Do not expect rebates or deals for a long time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new Ford and Nissan do not reflex your statements above. I've seen both side by side.

BTW: You can get a gas engine in a Sprinter. But, who would want one of those..?

I never said that the Sprinter is a Low Cost Van for Maint., Just some folks are Mis-Leading others, thinking these new vans will be cheaper, in repair cost and MSRP. Just because they have Ford/ Other(s) names on them.

Ford can and will charge up to and beyond MSRP, only due to the fact, they are the only ones out there. Remember the PT Cruiser, when they first hit the dealerships the were selling them 3,000 over MSRP. And people were buying them...

Do not expect rebates or deals for a long time.

considering I've had 1 front end aglinmant and only 1 set of ball joints in 800,000k as compared to a yearly Ford change out...which lowers the cost of sprinter up keep...and IF you are stupid enough to buy dealer parts since there are a flood of sprinter parts on the after market now...other then the electronics you don't need to get suckered in with a sprinter tech and costs...brakes are brakes and a water pump is a water pump....do it your self..

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
considering I've had 1 front end aglinmant and only 1 set of ball joints in 800,000k as compared to a yearly Ford change out...which lowers the cost of sprinter up keep...and IF you are stupid enough to buy dealer parts since there are a flood of sprinter parts on the after market now...other then the electronics you don't need to get suckered in with a sprinter tech and costs...brakes are brakes and a water pump is a water pump....do it your self..

I'm betting it also can come down to premature failure due to abuse. Sticking to 63-68 MPH, patient starts and braking, not overloading, controlling downshifts when hill-climbing, etc.

I'm still scared of Sprinters. Actually I'm scared of ME because I will probably break every rule, almost, that I listed above. KNOWING it will end up in premature failure of bearings, transmissions, engines, tires, brakes and my own patience with Sprinters.

Until I get better at my own patience, I think I'm rolling the bowtie. Although I haven't busted brakes, tranny, engine or bearings YET. LOL!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm betting it also can come down to premature failure due to abuse. Sticking to 63-68 MPH, patient starts and braking, not overloading, controlling downshifts when hill-climbing, etc.

I'm still scared of Sprinters. Actually I'm scared of ME because I will probably break every rule, almost, that I listed above. KNOWING it will end up in premature failure of bearings, transmissions, engines, tires, brakes and my own patience with Sprinters.

Until I get better at my own patience, I think I'm rolling the bowtie. Although I haven't busted brakes, tranny, engine or bearings YET. LOL!!

you are close.....was a torn boot cover... you should never need ball joints in a sprinter, due to the design of them, such a simple concept.....don't know why Ford or any N/A manufacturer hasn't it used it on more models....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

even N/A models are getting more sophisticated on the PM of them....more specialized oils and fluids...parts are lighter not necessarily stronger....due to MPG requirements of the grand ole EPA...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My spare Starter cost me $98.00, water pump $57.00, so there! :cool:
Even got spare glow plugs, (10), for $57.00, yep $5.70 each free shipping.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your're nuts ! Who would want 24 mpg when you can get 14 to 15 mpg on a good day. Oh wait..... never mind. :cool:

sprinter dealer $100 + an hr.....Ford Dealer $100.00 + an hour...I am not seeing it...
yep nuts I say...spend $5,000 more on fuel a year just to avoid maybe $500.00 more in parts costs. and I am the nut?......Hahahaha.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

When was the last time you did it yourself?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When was the last time you did it yourself?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

I never have.....a lot of people tell me to do it myself.....But I am too lazy and don't have all the tools.....so I pay someone else to do it....BUT I don't whine about it either...that is the difference...people will whine about sprinter parts cost and then if you ask them about where they bought them, they say dealer....they couldn't be bothered to look up the site.