Sprinter Salesmen Worried

Brisco

Expert Expediter
sprinter dealer $100 + an hr.....Ford Dealer $100.00 + an hour...I am not seeing it...
yep nuts I say...spend $5,000 more on fuel a year just to avoid maybe $500.00 more in parts costs. and I am the nut?......Hahahaha.....

Are you comparing this as if Diesel Engines were in both Vehicles?? (Sprinter Diesel VS the NEW Ford Diesel)

If so.........then..........Ford Dealerships.........20-30 in Every Major Metropolitan Area VS 6 Mercedes Benz Dealerships & 1/2 Dozen Dodge Dealerships that actually have a competent Sprinter mechanic there.

Also...........there are Ford Dealerships in almost every single community / small town in this country VS the closest MB Dealership (and again...a Competent Sprinter Mech elsewhere) that may be 7 towns-239 Miles away.

And to add to that...........who goes to a "Dealership" AFTER the warranty is up anyways????

Now if you were referring to Sprinter Diesel VS Ford V8..............there is NO COMPARISON whatsoever. Same Logic as above.........only this time you can add COMPETENT Ford Mechanics on just every street corner in just about every single City & Town in this Country VS Logic Comparison above for the Sprinter Diesel.

Hell...........Even Rufus.......the Guy with the Smoker selling the Killer BBQ in the Vacant Lot acoss from the Local IGA Grocery Store could probably pop a Ford Water Pump on your van for ya for a few bucks......... Ask Rufus to change out the Fuel Pump on your Sprinter and I'm quite sure you'd get a big ole............."A whhaaaattt???? What the Hell is a Sprinter???"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you comparing this as if Diesel Engines were in both Vehicles?? (Sprinter Diesel VS the NEW Ford Diesel)

If so.........then..........Ford Dealerships.........20-30 in Every Major Metropolitan Area VS 6 Mercedes Benz Dealerships & 1/2 Dozen Dodge Dealerships that actually have a competent Sprinter mechanic there.

Also...........there are Ford Dealerships in almost every single community / small town in this country VS the closest MB Dealership (and again...a Competent Sprinter Mech elsewhere) that may be 7 towns-239 Miles away.

And to add to that...........who goes to a "Dealership" AFTER the warranty is up anyways????

Now if you were referring to Sprinter Diesel VS Ford V8..............there is NO COMPARISON whatsoever. Same Logic as above.........only this time you can add COMPETENT Ford Mechanics on just every street corner in just about every single City & Town in this Country VS Logic Comparison above for the Sprinter Diesel.

Hell...........Even Rufus.......the Guy with the Smoker selling the Killer BBQ in the Vacant Lot acoss from the Local IGA Grocery Store could probably pop a Ford Water Pump on your van for ya for a few bucks......... Ask Rufus to change out the Fuel Pump on your Sprinter and I'm quite sure you'd get a big ole............."A whhaaaattt???? What the Hell is a Sprinter???"

Long post about nuthin....and your point was?....

MY point IS...WE chose to go with a Sprinter knowing all the above....

BTW:....ANY Ford mechanic can change a sprinter fuel pump or water pump.....and you forgot to mention a Freight shaker fix it shop in nearly every city....:rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Long post about nuthin....and your point was?....

MY point IS...WE chose to go with a Sprinter knowing all the above....

BTW:....ANY Ford mechanic can change a sprinter fuel pump or water pump.....and you forgot to mention a Freight shaker fix it shop in nearly every city....:rolleyes:

Point being.............

You can defend the choice you made when you bought that over priced........high maintenance Rubber Band Diesel engined Pepsi Can thin Cargo Van all you want.........'til the Cows Come Home........Etc............

It doesn't hurt to point out a few "Cons" people may face when and if they make the Mistake buying one themselves......................

Know of a Guy up in Wichita Falls Texas (45,000 Population) that runs his own Electrical Contracting Company. Has 3 Employees working for him..........runs 2 Vans. Local Dodge Dealership (Patterson) sold him 2 New Sprinters for Work Trucks a few years back. (I believe they only sold 5 Sprinters that year) He had to let them know 3 days in advance when he needed his Oil changed....or any other Preventive Maintenance done....so that they could get the right parts in. When he started having problems here and there with BOTH Vans.......there was not a qualified Mechanic there to work on the Engines under warranty. Patterson Dodge tried to hook up with WF Freightliner......but they could not cover "Warranty" work for a Dodge Vehicle....and.....when they mentioned it was a Sprinter Diesel....the Service Manager over there wouldn't even touch the vehicle whatsoever.......

So........that Guys truck was TOWED all the way to Allen Samuels Dodge down here in Ft Worth for service. At first....Dodge tried to Deny the Tow Charges........but after fighting them for a few days.....All was covered. After the 3rd time they had to TOW one of his service vans........ with thousands and thousands of dollars in Inventory in it..........100 and something miles away just for Mechanical work......he raised all sorts of HELL with Patterson Dodge to "Buy Back" BOTH Vehicles.

Last time I saw one of his Vehicles up there with all his signs on it.......it was a Beautiful 12ft Chevrolet single axle Spartan Cube Van. I'm pretty much betting he's a HAPPY Chevrolet owner too........ (We only worked with him once when we were having some wiring work done at our Sports Bar)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Point being.............

You can defend the choice you made when you bought that over priced........high maintenance Rubber Band Diesel engined Pepsi Can thin Cargo Van all you want.........'til the Cows Come Home........Etc............

It doesn't hurt to point out a few "Cons" people may face when and if they make the Mistake buying one themselves......................

Know of a Guy up in Wichita Falls Texas (45,000 Population) that runs his own Electrical Contracting Company. Has 3 Employees working for him..........runs 2 Vans. Local Dodge Dealership (Patterson) sold him 2 New Sprinters for Work Trucks a few years back. (I believe they only sold 5 Sprinters that year) He had to let them know 3 days in advance when he needed his Oil changed....or any other Preventive Maintenance done....so that they could get the right parts in. When he started having problems here and there with BOTH Vans.......there was not a qualified Mechanic there to work on the Engines under warranty. Patterson Dodge tried to hook up with WF Freightliner......but they could not cover "Warranty" work for a Dodge Vehicle....and.....when they mentioned it was a Sprinter Diesel....the Service Manager over there wouldn't even touch the vehicle whatsoever.......

So........that Guys truck was TOWED all the way to Allen Samuels Dodge down here in Ft Worth for service. At first....Dodge tried to Deny the Tow Charges........but after fighting them for a few days.....All was covered. After the 3rd time they had to TOW one of his service vans........ with thousands and thousands of dollars in Inventory in it..........100 and something miles away just for Mechanical work......he raised all sorts of HELL with Patterson Dodge to "Buy Back" BOTH Vehicles.

Last time I saw one of his Vehicles up there with all his signs on it.......it was a Beautiful 12ft Chevrolet single axle Spartan Cube Van. I'm pretty much betting he's a HAPPY Chevrolet owner too........ (We only worked with him once when we were having some wiring work done at our Sports Bar)

All I can say to that is.... He made a bad decision to use sprinters for his business.... I have had extremely good fortune with my choice my sprinter grossing me almost $750,000 in my 8 years with mine.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow.....is that it??

I used to put more than that IN MY POCKET after expenses running 3PL Automotive Freight...........;)

If I had a rooted business here in SD a sprinter would have been a very bad choice, like your friends.... Being an expediter allows me the fluid movement to get PM done whether it be in Alabama or Maine.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...spend $5,000 more on fuel a year just to avoid maybe $500.00 more in parts costs. and I am the nut?......Hahahaha.....
To make a fair comparison, what is your maintenance cost per mile? How about fuel cost per mile year to date?

Brisco

Expert Expediter
If I had a rooted business here in SD a sprinter would have been a very bad choice, like your friends.... Being an expediter allows me the fluid movement to get PM done whether it be in Alabama or Maine.

But what are you going to do when that thing needs attention NOW and you're somewhere between Amarillo and Wichita Falls Texas???

Or better yet...............Going from Sioux Falls through Rapid City up to Billings Montana???

There's actually a FORD Dealership there in Kadoka SD off I-90............believe it or not.

As far as finding a Competent Sprinter mechanic along that stretch...............Well............

Food for thought..................That's All.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But what are you going to do when that thing needs attention NOW and you're somewhere between Amarillo and Wichita Falls Texas???

Or better yet...............Going from Sioux Falls through Rapid City up to Billings Montana???

There's actually a FORD Dealership there in Kadoka SD off I-90............believe it or not.

As far as finding a Competent Sprinter mechanic along that stretch...............Well............

Food for thought..................That's All.

Dealers/repair places in S.F .. Fargo and RC that is what AAA is for....:)BTW as long as it is not electronic any mechanic can fix a Dodge.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
.........BTW as long as it is not electronic any mechanic can fix a Dodge.

This is a Discussion concerning Sprinters VS normal every day American "Slop Buckets". (what you Snooty Sprinter Drivers call Ford & Chevy Vans :) )

That being said..........be careful..........what you said above is very very very misleading to a "Newbie" that is trying learn the ins and outs of Sprinters VS Fords - Etc. Only "Dodge" Item on a Sprinter is the BADGING...............Period.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a Discussion concerning Sprinters VS normal every day American "Slop Buckets". (what you Snooty Sprinter Drivers call Ford & Chevy Vans :) )

That being said..........be careful..........what you said above is very very very misleading to a "Newbie" that is trying learn the ins and outs of Sprinters VS Fords - Etc. Only "Dodge" Item on a Sprinter is the BADGING...............Period.

In this day and age same could be said of Fords.....

Snooty? Really?
If you were to look back you'd see a recurring theme we snooty sprinter owners warning newbies that a Sprinter is NOT an entry level vehicle.

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

In this day and age same could be said of Fords.....

Snooty? Really?
If you were to look back you'd see a recurring theme we snooty sprinter owners warning newbies that a Sprinter is NOT an entry level vehicle.

After reading all these pro's and con's about the Sprinters, ay yi yi! I personally was waiting to see what the new Ford Transit was going to do with this years release, but now that they've bumped it back a year, I guess not. Being a Ford man with only owning two E-350's in the past 20 years that I've been doing this expediting line of work, I have to admit my knowledge of Sprinters is very limited. Okay, the price tag is huge, even for used ones with 150k+ miles. Maintenance costs are high. Mileage seems to be pretty good. Payload seems to be pretty good. Been tempted to add a High-Top conversion (and doors to match) to my E-350 to gain the extra height, not much one can do about the length. Can get it done for $3,500, sure beats spending $20 - 30K on a used Sprinter. On the other hand, it may not be worth the $3,500 to do it to a vehicle that already has 200K miles on it (gas engine). I'd like to wait and see what the new Transit's are going to be like in terms of price and bugs; price will be immediate, bugs will appear after first couple years of use. Was reading on a site somewhere (Ford.com?) the low price on these was going to be at $43K, basic model, whatever that means in therms of A/C, cruise control, etc... Now they've pulled the price and have added release date of 2015.