Sprinter Salesmen Worried

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i don't think there is going to be a problem, for sprinter we have best product going
a friend of mind is going to start dodge next month can't to look at one

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Compared to what current domestic work vans sell for, which the Transit replaces, I would suspect the smallest/cheapest version would run just under $30, while the big boy probably will run $38. The Transit will be priced pointed less than the $printer, which will cause significant downward pressure on $printer prices/margins, maybe even close to the Ford. However, I doubt there will be any reduction in MB parts or repair prices. That's how MB & their dealers make the majority of their money on $printers. After two years or so you will start seeing rebates and 0% financing on the Fords and Dodges. So about the time some of you may trust the reliability more, you should be able to get a good deal too! My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

The good news is the operational cost should be very close to $0.30 per mile, which should make owners more competitive too!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Compared to what current domestic work vans sell for, which the Transit replaces, I would suspect the smallest/cheapest version would run just under $30, while the big boy probably will run $38. The Transit will be priced pointed less than the $printer, which will cause significant downward pressure on $printer prices/margins, maybe even close to the Ford. However, I doubt there will be any reduction in MB parts or repair prices. That's how MB & their dealers make the majority of their money on $printers. After two years or so you will start seeing rebates and 0% financing on the Fords and Dodges. So about the time some of you may trust the reliability more, you should be able to get a good deal too! My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

The good news is the operational cost should be very close to $0.30 per mile, which should make owners more competitive too!

When you say operational costs...do you include fuel too or just maintanance?..
it is a Mercedes after all...it should be more expensive to operate....it is the North American makers who let the consumers down by choosing not to compete in America for so long ...I highly expect Ford and Dodge to be of lower value and lower operating costs...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think $0.30, within a penny, will catch it all for an owner who keeps his Transit until its completely used up. $printers are very economical to own/operate as well, until there is trouble anyway.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I now own the terra max that was at the expo with the power deck. Got the power deck removed and i am now outfitting my mule.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I now own the terra max that was at the expo with the power deck. Got the power deck removed and i am now outfitting my mule.

I have heard the power deck does not handle some containers and cargo well. That's why I deleted the power deck from my project.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The one positive thing about the new Ford and Dodge is that they offer gas engines that have been around for years. They also look to be pretty efficient. I wouldn't touch the diesel in either model.

If Ford would just put the Transit body on the tried and true E Series chassis......AND put the 5.4 Triton V8 under the hood..........MB should just discontinue the sale of Sprinters with the Rubber Band Diesel engines that cost more than Waterford Crystal to repair here in America all together.

If they did that..........and sensible Van Owners.....Both Fleet Owners and Individuals......did their Due Diligent research comparing repair and parts costs, as well as availability and ease of locating of parts for both vehicles, I can clearly see Fords Transit Van outselling the Sprinter 1100 to 1 on any given quarter of sales periods.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
MB will certainly sell more $printers than that, simply because of brand loyalty from previous owners. MB salesmen may want to look at moving though... :D

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a pity that we can't kit-bash the way we could in the old days. The Sprinter body is great for this job, it's the mechanicals that are found wanting-- or, more to the point, the parts and repair costs. Slip a suitably-sized Cummins power-train into that van and you've got something. Today you can't do that because the computer controls will pitch a conniption before you even begin the swap, but-- if it were possible, that's the way to go.

OVM compared the Sprinter to the Jaguar at one time or another, and it's an apt description. The Jag was well known for its fondness of mechanic shops, that twelve-cylinder-three-carburetor engine was the very devil to get it to run right. The best thing you could do for that car was to tear out that boat-anchor and slip a Chevy small-block in its place. Then, you'd have a car you could actually drive. I think they might be a bit better these days, but since my budget won't tolerate the purchase of a Jaguar I reckon I'll never know.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As an ex Sprinter salesman myself, I can say "I don't care if Ford or any other Van crushes the Sprinter". I sold myself this one, why go through all the mess again. I think the Cargomax was the one that said they will crush the Sprinter. Sprinter sales are still at a all time high.

They all want to build a van "Like" the Sprinter. They all will fall short in some area's, too short, no payload, under power, Fuel mileage, and yes, higher repair cost. Do you really think that the labor cost per hour will go down, or parts for these vans will be easy to get? Or cheaper? Why? Because it has Ford on it, or GM, Nissan? LOL- mine has Dodge on it. Oh, it's a Dodge, they've been around for years, cheap repairs cost?

Prepare for "Sticker Shock"

Prepare for "Repair Shock"

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
As I was going I 70W Thursday I think, I saw the new Dodge Promaster going 70E. It was the low top and the short one.

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
What's the mileage supposed to be for the Ford Transit high top that holds 3 full skids? Either the gas or the diesel one. I talked to a sales rep at the Expo and they still didn't know.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter salesmen worried?

Attachments

• Alfred E. Neuman.jpg
    Alfred E. Neuman.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 44

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
What's the mileage supposed to be for the Ford Transit high top that holds 3 full skids? Either the gas or the diesel one. I talked to a sales rep at the Expo and they still didn't know.
All the Ford heads I know don't state what they either think or know about the biggest Transit. I don't think anyone has a knowledgeable guess there.

On the mid-height cargo van with the "long" floor (143.7" )I've heard pretty consistently 21 MPH gas or 26 MPG diesel. That's with about 4,500 lbs. Cargo capacity.

I would expect the biggest Transit to be 1-2 MPG less than those numbers above.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All the Ford heads I know don't state what they either think or know about the biggest Transit. I don't think anyone has a knowledgeable guess there.
I have a knowledgeable guess; the big Ford Transit will have comparable fuel mileage to the new big and tall GM DuraVan and will be available to customers about the same year the DuraVan debuts, 2043.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just wondering what butcher job the North American Ford engineers are doing to the suspension of the Transit?....As per my delivery location....they've done no less then 9 line changes or modifications to the suspension already!....hence the delays till at least summer or fall of 2014.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just wondering what butcher job the North American Ford engineers are doing to the suspension of the Transit?....As per my delivery location....they've done no less then 9 line changes or modifications to the suspension already!....hence the delays till at least summer or fall of 2014.

Sounds like there trying to get it right not just letting it pass through because they don't want to make changes. Delivered there Saturday and the guy even mentioned they are being told its supposed to have the best ride ford has ever had in a van. They are still telling them sometime after the first of the year.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like there trying to get it right not just letting it pass through because they don't want to make changes. Delivered there Saturday and the guy even mentioned they are being told its supposed to have the best ride ford has ever had in a van. They are still telling them sometime after the first of the year.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

maybe trying to eliminate them Egyptian parts....LOL

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me take a couple of points and give you answers that you might like or dislike.

1. Payload will be the same or better in both Ford and Dodge.

2. MPG will be the same or better with the diesel..

3 Sprinter will still lead the pack when it comes to cargo area length with their 16 foot to both Ford and Dodge 13 foot to 14 food cargo area.

4 Dodge will have more width between the wheel wells then Sprinter 56 to 52 inches., I don't know about Ford

5. Sprinter is only diesel, where as both Ford and Dodge you can get gas

6. Sprinter like Dodge will have a 4cyl diesel and I think ford comes in with a 5cyl (don't quote me on the ford engine)

7. Ford will have the tallest van

8. Dodge Sprinters are not cheap to work on, I have one and I know this from experience.

9. I just about forgot this the Dodge is 73 inches wall to wall, where as the MB is something like 70 inches on the newer ones and 69 on the older Sprinters wall to wall.

In closing it looks like the only advantage for the MB sprinter is the 16 foot cargo area, but you pay for that in higher costs for the van. something like 8K or more then the dodge when you add options, might be the same for the Sprinter Vs Ford.

As an ex Sprinter salesman myself, I can say "I don't care if Ford or any other Van crushes the Sprinter". I sold myself this one, why go through all the mess again. I think the Cargomax was the one that said they will crush the Sprinter. Sprinter sales are still at a all time high.

They all want to build a van "Like" the Sprinter. They all will fall short in some area's, too short, no payload, under power, Fuel mileage, and yes, higher repair cost. Do you really think that the labor cost per hour will go down, or parts for these vans will be easy to get? Or cheaper? Why? Because it has Ford on it, or GM, Nissan? LOL- mine has Dodge on it. Oh, it's a Dodge, they've been around for years, cheap repairs cost?

Prepare for "Sticker Shock"

Prepare for "Repair Shock"