Sprinter options

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Typical van speak of the everlasting debate what is better.

You know Xiggi had it right - it only matters what the company you are contracted with, will put on your van.

Outside of that, the personal peference thing comes into play, an American van or a sprinter - not much of a choice.

BUT with that said, the rule is simple, get the biggest thing that can haul the most and you will do fine.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Typical van speak of the everlasting debate what is better.

You know Xiggi had it right - it only matters what the company you are contracted with, will put on your van.

Outside of that, the personal peference thing comes into play, an American van or a sprinter - not much of a choice.

BUT with that said, the rule is simple, get the biggest thing that can haul the most and you will do fine.

Bigger is better! That pretty much sums it up.
Thanks
Happy New Year

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle I know you do very good in this business. I think you have given great advice on this site more often than I ever will. But on this one I think your off base IMHO. Trust me my stance has nothing to do with ego or proving why my choice is right. It is simply what I feel is the best for someone investing in a new sprinter. Again I am going by what I feel is best for the average driver and you are not an average driver.

That being said lets assume everything you say is correct. I still see no reason to spend the money on a sprinter and only buy the 144 when for not much more you can get a longer one. Even if the extra space was used for nothing but personal space.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, it's not like I'm just making this stuff up. I've spent the better part of 6 years researching this on a regular basis. I've pestered 4 different departments at my carrier, even to the point where one girl sends me a quarterly e-mail with some percentages that involve the numbers I'm talking about. I talk to both recruiters and drivers from other carriers enough to get a good idea of what's going on elsewhere. I've looked at load boards and noted what kind and how many loads are being shipped. The one big mistake I do not want to make is to weight too heavily what I see with my own eyes and what goes on my own truck, nor do I want to fall into the many hundreds or thousands of illusory corollaries or jumping to conclusions based on massive amounts of missing information, that permeate drivers out here.

For example, some 3 skid Sprinter get a 3 skid load ahead of a 2 skid van, and concludes they got loaded because they can haul three skids and the 2 skid van sits and rots instead. Not all that long ago I was parked next to a 3 skid Sprinter and the driver told me several times just big of an idiot I was for having a permanent bunk and only hauling 3 skids. He was 2 spots below me on the board. Low and behold, almost on cue, he got a three skid load, 2100 pounds, going from Chicago to Davenport, IA. He gloated all the way out of the parking lot, for sure, and probably all the way to the delivery. He may never know that just a few minutes later I got a one skid, 200 pound load from Chicago to Waco, TX, and mine paid 10 cents more than his FSC. So my load paid more and was for more miles. He concluded that the ability to haul three skids got him more loads, and I concluded... not necessarily as often as he thinks.

I haven't really given any advice here, other than don't bet that the ability to haul more skids will translate into a significant difference than those who can haul two. It might, but significant numbers are the exception to the rule. First I'm told that "anyone can easily average a three skid load a week," but when those numbers are looked at a little closer they don't really pan out. Then it got reduced to at least a semi-doable number of "one or two extra 12 or 1500 mile loads a month," but that's a wish more than a reality, since that would mean somewhere between 14,400 and 18,000 miles a year, with as many as 36,000 additional miles per year just by having the ability to haul an extra skid. Even on the low end that's serious money, more than enough to have me rip out my permanent bunk and completely redo my van. But I've never seen any numbers that support such a claim.

I still stand by my original statement that bigger is better, but it's not THAT much better, certainly not as much as many people want to believe.

As for giving advice to someone buying a Sprinter, if they are just entering this business my advice is generally to enter the business in a used vehicle, anything not a Sprinter, and learn the business and what you want and don't want out of a new van. The learning curve in this business is steep enough without hanging a new Sprinter off the end of the curve. Experience expediters buying a new Sprinter should already have a good idea of what they want and how to lay it out in a manner that best suits them.

But a newbie entering the business with a Sprinter? My advice is, and has been for a long time: no matter what, make sure you have at least 108 inches for freight so that you can haul two automotive skids, and no matter what, make sure you can sleep while loaded. If you want to utilize space for a third skid and a fold-up bunk, make sure you refuse any three skid loads where you won't have a place to sleep if needed while loaded.

If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that there are certain tried and true reasons that many people fail in this business. If you have two identical Sprinters, one outfitted with a permanent bunk and can haul 2 skids, and the other outfitted with 3 skids and a fold up bunk, which newbie driver do you think will have a harder time, get more frustrated, and maybe end up getting out of the business within 6 months or a year? The one who gets dejected because he can only haul 2 skids, or the one who is sick and tired of not being able to sleep while loaded? After talking to the very people who do exit interviews with O/Os who leave, I know the answer to that one.

I still see no reason to spend the money on a sprinter and only buy the 144 when for not much more you can get a longer one. Even if the extra space was used for nothing but personal space.
I don't want to beat up on the guy because he's probably all excited about getting his new Sprinter, but getting a 144 for expediting is an exceedingly bad and shortsighted decision. This is also a case where he's likely to not be able to sleep while loaded, and will end up either trading vehicles or getting out of the business altogether. It's not like making the mistake of not insulting the van, as you can always add that later. But you can't add more length to the van. The price difference between the 144 and the longest one will pay for itself in comfort the first month, and directly in hard cash within a year.

I've known three people with short Sprinters. Two are out of the business completely, and the third is still in hers after three years now, but she hates it and is planning on trading it for a new one this Spring.

And, considering this is yet another good loooong post that said pretty much nothing, I'm done.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, it's not like I'm just making this stuff up. I've spent the better part of 6 years researching this on a regular basis. I've pestered 4 different departments at my carrier, even to the point where one girl sends me a quarterly e-mail with some percentages that involve the numbers I'm talking about. I talk to both recruiters and drivers from other carriers enough to get a good idea of what's going on elsewhere. I've looked at load boards and noted what kind and how many loads are being shipped. The one big mistake I do not want to make is to weight too heavily what I see with my own eyes and what goes on my own truck, nor do I want to fall into the many hundreds or thousands of illusory corollaries or jumping to conclusions based on massive amounts of missing information, that permeate drivers out here.

For example, some 3 skid Sprinter get a 3 skid load ahead of a 2 skid van, and concludes they got loaded because they can haul three skids and the 2 skid van sits and rots instead. Not all that long ago I was parked next to a 3 skid Sprinter and the driver told me several times just big of an idiot I was for having a permanent bunk and only hauling 3 skids. He was 2 spots below me on the board. Low and behold, almost on cue, he got a three skid load, 2100 pounds, going from Chicago to Davenport, IA. He gloated all the way out of the parking lot, for sure, and probably all the way to the delivery. He may never know that just a few minutes later I got a one skid, 200 pound load from Chicago to Waco, TX, and mine paid 10 cents more than his FSC. So my load paid more and was for more miles. He concluded that the ability to haul three skids got him more loads, and I concluded... not necessarily as often as he thinks.

I haven't really given any advice here, other than don't bet that the ability to haul more skids will translate into a significant difference than those who can haul two. It might, but significant numbers are the exception to the rule. First I'm told that "anyone can easily average a three skid load a week," but when those numbers are looked at a little closer they don't really pan out. Then it got reduced to at least a semi-doable number of "one or two extra 12 or 1500 mile loads a month," but that's a wish more than a reality, since that would mean somewhere between 14,400 and 18,000 miles a year, with as many as 36,000 additional miles per year just by having the ability to haul an extra skid. Even on the low end that's serious money, more than enough to have me rip out my permanent bunk and completely redo my van. But I've never seen any numbers that support such a claim.

I still stand by my original statement that bigger is better, but it's not THAT much better, certainly not as much as many people want to believe.

As for giving advice to someone buying a Sprinter, if they are just entering this business my advice is generally to enter the business in a used vehicle, anything not a Sprinter, and learn the business and what you want and don't want out of a new van. The learning curve in this business is steep enough without hanging a new Sprinter off the end of the curve. Experience expediters buying a new Sprinter should already have a good idea of what they want and how to lay it out in a manner that best suits them.

But a newbie entering the business with a Sprinter? My advice is, and has been for a long time: no matter what, make sure you have at least 108 inches for freight so that you can haul two automotive skids, and no matter what, make sure you can sleep while loaded. If you want to utilize space for a third skid and a fold-up bunk, make sure you refuse any three skid loads where you won't have a place to sleep if needed while loaded.

If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that there are certain tried and true reasons that many people fail in this business. If you have two identical Sprinters, one outfitted with a permanent bunk and can haul 2 skids, and the other outfitted with 3 skids and a fold up bunk, which newbie driver do you think will have a harder time, get more frustrated, and maybe end up getting out of the business within 6 months or a year? The one who gets dejected because he can only haul 2 skids, or the one who is sick and tired of not being able to sleep while loaded? After talking to the very people who do exit interviews with O/Os who leave, I know the answer to that one.

I don't want to beat up on the guy because he's probably all excited about getting his new Sprinter, but getting a 144 for expediting is an exceedingly bad and shortsighted decision. This is also a case where he's likely to not be able to sleep while loaded, and will end up either trading vehicles or getting out of the business altogether. It's not like making the mistake of not insulting the van, as you can always add that later. But you can't add more length to the van. The price difference between the 144 and the longest one will pay for itself in comfort the first month, and directly in hard cash within a year.

I've known three people with short Sprinters. Two are out of the business completely, and the third is still in hers after three years now, but she hates it and is planning on trading it for a new one this Spring.

And, considering this is yet another good loooong post that said pretty much nothing, I'm done.

No..This time you spoke plenty with good content and advice.....this from your one of your best critics..;)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by chefdennis

Wow, 128 inches of cargo flood....thats small....nothing like limiting your income by limiting your options as to what you can haul....

Turtle wrote:

Oh, I dunno. I've got 108 inches of cargo space and I seem to do OK. That you can haul three or four skids will get you significantly more loads, or even marginally more loads, and therefore more revenue, is largely a fallacy and an illusory corollary. The illusory corollary is often reinforced by those who can haul three skids, and therefor haul three skids on occasion, and make the correlation that if they could not haul three skids, and could only haul two, they would not have hauled anything at all. They fail to come to any conclusion at all when they haul only a single skid.

Yea i should have qualified that...As one, i have a fixed sleeping area, so take that space into consideration when looking at cargo area....if i took the 48 inchs that my "personal area' takes up off of 128 inch of load floor length, then that would leave 60 inches....I have 92 inches without tearing don my bunk annd haul 2 skid regularly, but that would go down to 1 skid with just 60 inches.....But yea has you pointed out in other post on this thread, not having a place to sleep while loaded often ends expeditng careers....

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
WELL, I picked up the new baby Sprinter in Pgh. this afternoon. L@@KS like the van will earn money.

Rides GREAT and handled the rain storm on the way up I-79 just fine!

Thank you to those that support the idea of a 2 skid van. I will be capable of hauling three, BUT will most likely keep a close watch to weight and fuel mileage at different weights and choose to haul 2!

Dave
Lake City, Pa.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WELL, I picked up the new baby Sprinter in Pgh. this afternoon. L@@KS like the van will earn money.

Thank you to those that support the idea of a 2 skid van. I will be capable of hauling three, BUT will most likely keep a close watch to weight and fuel mileage at different weights and choose to haul 2!

Dave
Lake City, Pa.

Congrats and enjoy. Best of luck in the New year.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
well its a real pleasure to listen to all your discussion on the sprinter as i have 06 158 in line 5 and drove a couple hundred thousand but i cant leave farm to much now.I WISH ALL A HAPPY AND PROSPERES NEW YEAR. hey dave congrats on the new sprinter we,re neighbors, IMN WATERFORD also I WILL be giving some free rounds of golf out to anyone that would like one this summer maybe the golfernut plays.In expedite I LIKE the KISS METHOD best, keep it simple stupid alsoturtle should be a writer .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Dave
Lake City, Pa.

Welcome to the Sprinter world....:D

If 2's your choice, so be it..it can work..Good Luck.....Ken aka OVM

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
well its a real pleasure to listen to all your discussion on the sprinter as i have 06 158 in line 5 and drove a couple hundred thousand but i cant leave farm to much now.I WISH ALL A HAPPY AND PROSPERES NEW YEAR. hey dave congrats on the new sprinter we,re neighbors, IMN WATERFORD also I WILL be giving some free rounds of golf out to anyone that would like one this summer maybe the golfernut plays.In expedite I LIKE the KISS METHOD best, keep it simple stupid alsoturtle should be a writer .
Would love to play a round of golf with you.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
****!! a heated thread to be sure...

I am eccentric and tend to what I want more than what is best or most profitable. Having been in the business for 6 years I went the longest tallest route. 3 possibly 4 skids weighed significantly on the decision. But I think I made the decision based more on "livability" than anything else.

There is ALOT of sitting time in this business. The loads you get are based on luck as much as any other factor but you can increase "luck" with more capacity.

Height seems to be just as important if not more so than # of skids.

Bottom line for me was getting away from DOT and Logs, Comfort and keeping my carrier keeping me as busy as he can.

after 8 months in the sprinter extended I am happy with the revenue..Glad I did a fairly large down payment 15K on 42500 leaving me with a 700/mth nut. I have had no problem making the payment even with some bad months.

I can now park where ever I want with NO hassles, go to any restaraunt and drive any amount of hours required to do the job and visit any friend anywhere.

I aint gettin rich, but I never expected to. There are definately other business's that would make me more money for the same time and money invested..but none that give me the freedom, mobility and comfort that expediting and my sprinter have provided.

Turtle, I love reading your posts....but they do spin my head sometimes...It seems I may lean toward the KISS principle than many on this forum.