Sprinter options

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Hi all Merry Christmas.
Looking at buying a new sprinter.
Was wondering if some of the options are must haves or nice to have.
Additional battery pkg
Cargo pkg (factory install)
Heavy duty front axle
High idle fixed or variable
Suspension pkg choice of 4 diff options: double springs on rear and beafed up front stuff like that
Suspension seating pkg of maybe bench seat.
Any other ideas?
Thanks all

Also, found online the sliding bulkhead from UK. Anyone know if its avail in US?
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are one of them type that worry about the GVRW and weight..I'd have the empty van weighed and compare it to the door sticker...that way you'll have an idea as to what toys you can get..

MY 2005 is stock off the self...579k now...and is functional..it IS a work truck first and foremost.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
If you are one of them type that worry about the GVRW and weight..I'd have the empty van weighed and compare it to the door sticker...that way you'll have an idea as to what toys you can get..

MY 2005 is stock off the self...579k now...and is functional..it IS a work truck first and foremost.
So you don't have any of the "extra" suspension stuff and running just fine? Are you in a 170"?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you don't have any of the "extra" suspension stuff and running just fine? Are you in a 170"?

05's are 158"...extra suspension does nothing but add weight to an already heavy van and adds NO payload advantage...unless...you plan on heavy loads?..Personally I don't go over 3,000 lbs.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Additional battery pkg - You most likely want an extra battery but I would compare the dealer cost to an after market install. You may get more for the same or less money.

Cargo pkg (factory install) - Again cost wise I would compare to doing this yourself. Might end up with a better set up for less dollars.

Heavy duty front axle - On a new I do not think you need this. The extra weight it allows might be over the gross you can actually haul.

High idle fixed or variable - If your going to get an espar and[ or air conditioner no. Only really needed if you plan on idling a lot.

Suspension pkg choice of 4 diff options: double springs on rear and beefed up front stuff like that - the only one I would consider is the extra spring depending on weight added.

Suspension seating pkg of maybe bench seat. - The ride is really good already can't see the need for suspension seating. A bench? If your talking about a front bench it would block easy access to your bunk. If your talking about a second seat no way.

Also, found online the sliding bulkhead from UK. Anyone know if its avail in US? - If it is the aluminum one that moves on e-track I know a guy that had it and did not care for it. I built my bunk bulkhead on wheels so I can move it for and aft.

Get the super extended or whatever they call it. The extra inches allow more bunk space and still haul 3 skids or 4 skids with a removable or folding bed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your 579K, what kind of trouble have you experienced during that?
Would you order the same truck again?

Just "normal" wear parts...nothing nagging or unexpected.....and yes...IF they brought back the inline 5 cylinder....The fuel mileage loss is an eye opener as to the investment...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Additional battery pkg - You most likely want an extra battery but I would compare the dealer cost to an after market install. You may get more for the same or less money.

Cargo pkg (factory install) - Again cost wise I would compare to doing this yourself. Might end up with a better set up for less dollars.

Heavy duty front axle - On a new I do not think you need this. The extra weight it allows might be over the gross you can actually haul.

High idle fixed or variable - If your going to get an espar and[ or air conditioner no. Only really needed if you plan on idling a lot.

Suspension pkg choice of 4 diff options: double springs on rear and beefed up front stuff like that - the only one I would consider is the extra spring depending on weight added.

Suspension seating pkg of maybe bench seat. - The ride is really good already can't see the need for suspension seating. A bench? If your talking about a front bench it would block easy access to your bunk. If your talking about a second seat no way.

Also, found online the sliding bulkhead from UK. Anyone know if its avail in US? - If it is the aluminum one that moves on e-track I know a guy that had it and did not care for it. I built my bunk bulkhead on wheels so I can move it for and aft.

Get the super extended or whatever they call it. The extra inches allow more bunk space and still haul 3 skids or 4 skids with a removable or folding bed.
Great advice thanks. The sliding bulkhead w/ the bunk folded up is 250 mm or just under 10" if I did the math right. I measured the inside of the extended which came out at 15' 8". In a perfect world, with no overhang on a 48x44 pallet would leave 2" with 4 pallets. (in a perfect world). If that holds up, then the sliding bulkhead would be great.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all my time i've seen very few true 48x48 skids...quite a few 48x45 auto bins and then the 48x40 pallet..as long as they can be turned is 120" or 10 feet

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
In all my time i've seen very few true 48x48 skids...quite a few 48x45 auto bins and then the 48x40 pallet..as long as they can be turned is 120" or 10 feet
Are most sprinter loads 2 and 3 skid? A dispatcher once told me that a lot of 4 skid loads go over to us straight trucks because the sprinters put in permanent bulkheads for sleepers. More load opportunities would be avail if you could fit 4 skids. I said to him, got to sleep somewhere and be comfortable. That's why I asked about the beach seat instead of buckets. Would it be realistic to sleep on that for extended time out just to accommodate 4 skid?
Thanks for the replies.
Almost time for Santa!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are most sprinter loads 2 and 3 skid? A dispatcher once told me that a lot of 4 skid loads go over to us straight trucks because the sprinters put in permanent bulkheads for sleepers. More load opportunities would be avail if you could fit 4 skids. I said to him, got to sleep somewhere and be comfortable. That's why I asked about the beach seat instead of buckets. Would it be realistic to sleep on that for extended time out just to accommodate 4 skid?
Thanks for the replies.
Almost time for Santa!

I'll tell ya a permanent bunk might be fine for some..but my preference would be a movable bed and keep the 3/4 skid option open...with a $46,000 investment and only 18-20mpg, I'd want every load i could get to recoupe my costs...but that is me...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I'll tell ya a permanent bunk might be fine for some..but my preference would be a movable bed and keep the 3/4 skid option open...with a $46,000 investment and only 18-20mpg, I'd want every load i could get to recoupe my costs...but that is me...

I agree, thats what I want to do.
Thanks again for your input.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
You getting rid of the Hino or just going to grow the fleet?

Good morning & Merry Christmas. My plan is to grow, I would like to put a team in the Hino. I'll call Brian next week to discuss. Good used straight trucks for the price of a new Sprinter are hard to come by. Hino is coming out with a 300 HP soon with a even better warranty, so looking at that also. May do both. Seems like the Sprinters are really kicking butt at Load One and fuel mileage is way better. Any suggestions?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning & Merry Christmas. My plan is to grow, I would like to put a team in the Hino. I'll call Brian next week to discuss. Good used straight trucks for the price of a new Sprinter are hard to come by. Hino is coming out with a 300 HP soon with a even better warranty, so looking at that also. May do both. Seems like the Sprinters are really kicking butt at Load One and fuel mileage is way better. Any suggestions?

Caryn and Mike just love 12 foot sprinters!!:D and I know John will say the same...they were sooo disappointed when TJ aka Todd put a permanent bulkhead in and went to 125"...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I hate to be a scrooge but it is far better to invest in straight trucks for fleets than vans.

ALSO we are hearing only from those here on EO about Load-1, not form everyone. Like any other company they are subject to a lot of other factors and are affected by any sudden downturn in the economy or slowing of freight.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I hate to be a scrooge but it is far better to invest in straight trucks for fleets than vans.

ALSO we are hearing only from those here on EO about Load-1, not form everyone. Like any other company they are subject to a lot of other factors and are affected by any sudden downturn in the economy or slowing of freight.
Hi Greg, I agree there are a lot of factors involved, same holds true in any business. The ability to accept risk, in my opinion, is the difference between an entrepreneur vs employee. I currently have a straight truck leased on with Load One, also have been with a few others prior. Very happy at Load One, but always keep my options open. What would you suggest?
Thanks again for the input.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think it is better as a fleet owner to have straight trucks. Now if you are going to run the sprinter and put drivers in the straights, I think that is pretty workable.