Sprinter Bypass Filter Installation

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
How do you get the inside carbon out of the TP ?
Inside carbon ? ..... Inside cardboard ? ..... whatcha talking about here exactly ?

The "carbon" I get rid of by replacing the filter element with a new roll of TP and using the spent rolls as fire starters for the wood stove up in the shop - I save them in a plastic bag while out on the road and bring them home.

The inner cardboard roll on the TP stays in while using it as a filter.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
use one anyway ... its your engine.
and yes ,i am aware of the reduction in payload as a results of using them ...
Moose,

Appreciate the input - initially I was of a similar mind - I thought: "Hey - if it's supposed to work so well without clamps, then throwing a clamp on there ought to be better", a little extra insurance right ?

Wrong. What I found out, after talking to a couple of different places that sell socketless hose that does not require clamps, is that the ridges on the hose barbs for socketless hose are very sharp - much sharper than the barbs on a standard hose fitting that is designed to be clamped.

If you clamp socketless hose you run the risk of overtightening which can cause a premature failure of the hose at the fitting. This is part of the reason I said that I probably would have been better off to use either stainless braided hose or hydraulic hose assemblies.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And all this work on this system is for....?????
OVM, I've never been afraid of a little work .... well ..... maybe in my younger days .... but that was mostly due to illegal substances ..... :eek: ..... once we got that all straightened around, work wasn't so much of a problem anymore.

Some folks see work and try to figure out how to avoid it .... that's ok up to a point ... often I've found that for me, it's just better to do it .... YMMV.

One aspect of it is economic - let's say it's possible to get 45K oil change intervals (which is not unrealistic) ..... that's $150 saved for each 45K .... even over just a 450K vehicle life you could be looking at mebbe $1500 saved ... dunno 'bout you ..... but $1500 seems like real money to me ..... ?

And consider this - TeamCaffee went over 100K miles without an oil change after installing their OPS1 bypass system ..... on plain old non-synthetic dino oil no less .....

Outside of the above, a man's gotta have a hobby .... a pastime ..... reading and posting on EO is fine and all, and I'll engage in a certain amount of it to be sure .... but I have other interests as well.

A million miles?
I'd sure take it if I can get it ..... what about you ?

...... seems to me that here just recently you were wondering if maybe you ought to just go ahead and replace your engine at what ..... 365K miles ? :D

I guess I'd rather spend a few hundred and put up with changing my TP oil filter every 3K miles ... than spend over $10K on a new engine ..... but hey - that's just me .....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
replacing it? that was months ago...thoughts come and go.....seems more go then coming at my age though....*LOL*:eek:

tegimr

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Filter, Internal

Very cool. Thanks for posting this.

I think I can see from the picture that you use non-quilted. Is quilted ok? Also, I can't tell... Is that 2-ply?

Scott - the TP roll needs to be non-scented, non-anything. Using something other than the recommended rolls may introduce un-wanted chemicals: as to the quilted, it is not as compact, may not hold up under this task. Besides, it is more expensive. :D

Tim

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Can one of these be installed in the intestinal tract? I sure would like to go a few thousand miles without going.

guido4475

Not a Member
this is all too much for me to comprehend. but as far as a ford e350 extended wheelbase goes,allowing the req'd 8 feet of cargo space, how much room is left for a sleeper? this would be from the cargo side of the bulkhead that i need to build to the back of the seats.is it better to have a little more than 8 feet of cargo space? and if so, how much.and how much is the oil capacity on the 6.0 diesel? how much do some places charge for an oil change? what is the best ply tires to run on this? the best pads everyone has used? things like that.just wanting to get any input i can on the costs of the cargo van.the hardest thing i will have to adjust to is a lack of room compared to my condo sleeper i now have.thanks in advance for all the info from everybody.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hey Guid ....

Wish I could help ya here ..... as you clearly have lots of "issues" .... but I'm afraid I don't have any answers for the questions you are asking ....... here's a thought:

You just might want to consider actually starting a thread .... maybe even more than one say .... about the topics you're inquiring about .... that way, people that have some knowledge about those things might see it and actually post some helpful info for ya ........

I dunno, I'm relatively new here (jus' a couple years) but seems to me that might getcha more and better responses .... as opposed to burying a bunch of off-topic questions in a thread that has nothing to do with what you're asking about .... :rolleyes:

Of course, like I said, I'm new and all .... so it might not work .... but heck ... what do ya have to lose ?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I think I may have mentioned this another thread, but I'm going to be moving from the TP bypass filter to a centrifuge bypass filter for the engine oil. The TP bypass filter will be moved over to the Cummins in my Dodge RAM, since it sees about 1/20 the miles yearly that the Sprinter does.

Hopefully, this will be even more cost effective, since it should significantly reduce the amount of makeup oil - since the "spinner" doesn't actually have a filter element and I won't be losing any oil as a consequence of changing filter elements.

The model I decided to go with is Mann+Hummel "Spinner 25" unit, marketed in the U.S. by T.F. Hudkins:

Spinner Models

Spinner 25 Installation & Service Instructions

I've seen these units retail from $400 to $600 (the Iowa80 Truckstop sells 'em) .... but I found a very good price on them ($179 + $10 for the mounting bracket) from a place that sells stuff for bio-diesel production - Fryer-to-Fuel:

Spinner 25 Limited Special

moose

Veteran Expediter
do your self a fervor , and B4 you buy the spinner , call a few of the by pass filters sells mans , and ask them why not to buy a spinner .
i will not posts it here , because you have already mention the product .

Moose.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
do your self a fervor , and B4 you buy the spinner , call a few of the by pass filters sells mans , and ask them why not to buy a spinner.
Moose,

I actually went one better than that (IMHO) - rather than calling a competitor, I talked to someone that has fairly significant experience with Mann+Hummel centrifuges, isn't selling a competing product, and so has no dog in the fight:

"Hi Randall - a quick answer from near Gibralter - at sea:

You will get the best results from the centrifuge - they are most cost effective and the Benz oil pump will have suffucient capacity

Best wishes
Doug"

The guy that wrote the above has had many years, and many millions of kilometers of experience (he's from "Down Under") with Mann+Hummel "spinners" on multiple Class 8 vehicles with Detroit Diesel powerplants - in fact he specs them at purchase on all new vehicles in his fleet, before he takes delivery of the vehicle and puts it into service.

During that time (many years, retired now) he mentions that he has never had to replace any parts - just the normal cleaning. The longest (filter) ran in excess of 1.24 million miles before it (the vehicle) was retired, and rotated out of the fleet. He has also said:

"I found them to be so efficient that I discontinued using expensive Donaldson ELF full flow filters. These were replaced with stainless steel FF inserts of 30 micron mesh – these never caught anything at all over many millions of kms and on many engines. This aided lubricant flow too of course and enabled each engine to come off lubrication system by-pass much earlier"

The guy has also worked with Shell, Exxon-Mobil (prototyping new lubes) and ASTM (standards development) ... and he's "published" .... so I'm fairly comfortable with his advice :D

i will not posts it here , because you have already mention the product .
Well, I just cleaned out my Inbox .... perhaps you could drop me a PM and let me know what I should be concerned about, if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly. Thanks.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I am so curious as to why not buy one of these spinner ll oil centrifuge.I have one on my class 8 and love it.It has been on since new, and there have been no problems for the last 875,000 miles.It must be doing something right, 70 psi oil pressure at highway speeds since new, and hasnt dropped yet.Cat checked the oil psi externally.same thing.I love it.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are myths out there that a Spinner will "pull" the additive package out of your oil.

It is completely false. I came into a fleet once that had these units installed on every truck. I did not put them on the new trucks I bought as the benifits for a fleet that sold it's trucks at 500,000 miles was limited.

That all changed with EGR. The soot load on the oil with EGR engines is so great that these units make a lot of sense now. There are very few units that capture soot so well as a Spinner. Any truck I bought that had EGR, got a Spinner.

I have done some oil analysis on my 08 Sprinter (an EGR diesel) and the soot numbers are too high for my liking, and it is killing the additive package in the oil. A model 25 is in the works for me also (although now I will be buying it at the same place rlent is, great price).

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
I think I may have mentioned this another thread, but I'm going to be moving from the TP bypass filter to a centrifuge bypass filter for the engine oil. The TP bypass filter will be moved over to the Cummins in my Dodge RAM, since it sees about 1/20 the miles yearly that the Sprinter does.

Hopefully, this will be even more cost effective, since it should significantly reduce the amount of makeup oil - since the "spinner" doesn't actually have a filter element and I won't be losing any oil as a consequence of changing filter elements.

The model I decided to go with is Mann+Hummel "Spinner 25" unit, marketed in the U.S. by T.F. Hudkins:

Spinner Models

Spinner 25 Installation & Service Instructions

I've seen these units retail from $400 to $600 (the Iowa80 Truckstop sells 'em) .... but I found a very good price on them ($179 + $10 for the mounting bracket) from a place that sells stuff for bio-diesel production - Fryer-to-Fuel:

Spinner 25 Limited Special

What I like about it is that it has a valve that stops the oil flow when the pressure drops below 20 psi (idle). Good price.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What I like about it is that it has a valve that stops the oil flow when the pressure drops below 20 psi (idle). Good price.
Yeah ...... that's a nice feature. :D

The real trick of doing one of these is accommodating the 1" I.D. drain hose back to the sump - unlike other other filter types which are pressurized, allowing you to return the oil pretty much anywhere, this one uses a large hose and gravity drain ....

The oil coming out of the unit must not back up otherwise the unit will "flood", which will stop or slow the centrifuge from spinning .....

There are a couple of possibilities on how to handle this:

1. Summit Racing carries weldable aluminum threaded pipe bungs that could be attached to the oil pan .... hafta pull the oil pan to drill it and weld the bung on - which could be somewhat involved, particularly on T1N Sprinters ...

2. Remove the drainplug in the oil pan and go back in that way .... this would cause a restriction in the plumbing where the return enters the pan, but as long as the unit was mounted high in the engine compartment and there was a sufficient length of 1" I.D. hose, there will be enough "head" and pressure to push the oil back into the pan. I've seen where a set up like this was used on either Ford PSD or a GM Duramax and it worked fine apparently.

I'll let ya's know how I make out ... :cool:

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Spinner 25

This is the Spinner 25, shown with a reference object to illustrate size - it is about the same diameter as a Motor Guard filter but somewhat shorter. (Those are Winston Light Kings BTW, not 100's ......)

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 15