speedco or other service centers

miker

Seasoned Expediter
can someone give me a rough idea what an oil change will cost at these service centers and what may be included, the truck is a Int. 4300-DT466

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I am looking at my last oil change from Speedco invoice:

Oil change, oil filter change, fuel filter change, greased, air filter checked, pow steer fluid checked, front hubs checked, washer fluid checked,coolant checked and added some, freezepoint was tested, nitrate tested, tranny fluid checked, rear differ fluid checked, all drain plugs torqued.
The base price for this is $ 149.99. But due to my high mileage and being a Cat engine, I had the Lucas oil stabilizer added and opted to use original Cat filters. This service brought me to a total of $ 222.00
Now you have a DT466 and I believe most of them have a coolant filter as well. So I am not sure if they will include the coolant filter at that price or not. But mid-range PM is what I got and will be what they price you as well. I usually do mine in warmer weather, but will stop by and get it greased by them in between changes. Hope this helps.
A word of caution. Watch them or any place you let service your truck. There have been cases where oil drain plugs have had the threads stripped. Oil filters not tightened. Hub grease plugs not screwed back in tight. They are there to make money and whether you hit at a busy time or not, they are subject to leave something loose or other wise.

Last edited:

miker

Seasoned Expediter

Oil change, oil filter change, fuel filter change, greased, air filter checked, pow steer fluid checked, front hubs checked, washer fluid checked,coolant checked and added some, freezepoint was tested, nitrate tested, tranny fluid checked, rear differ fluid checked, all drain plugs torqued.
The base price for this is $ 149.99. But due to my high mileage and being a Cat engine, I had the Lucas oil stabilizer added and opted to use original Cat filters. This service brought me to a total of $ 222.00
Now you have a DT466 and I believe most of them have a coolant filter as well. So I am not sure if they will include the coolant filter at that price or not. But mid-range PM is what I got and will be what they price you as well. I usually do mine in warmer weather, but will stop by and get it greased by them in between changes. Hope this helps.
A word of caution. Watch them or any place you let service your truck. There have been cases where oil drain plugs have had the threads stripped. Oil filters not tightened. Hub grease plugs not screwed back in tight. They are there to make money and whether you hit at a busy time or not, they are subject to leave something loose or other wise.

Yeah, I have heard of problems with the plug before. that isn't too bad I think, I thought that it would be a little higher,Thanks for the info

guido4475

Not a Member
I personally prefer a petro or a kenworth dealer for a pm. not in so much of a hurry to get it done, so to speak.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had my oil pan plug stripped at the Speedco in Wythville, VA. It is a fairly common problem with Mercedes engines. They have an almuminum oil pan and a steel oil plug. Speeco did jump right in and pay for the repairs. I no longer have a plug. I have one of those systems where you put a hose on an oil pan fittiing to drain the oil. Works great and there is no plug to remove so the pan will not be damaged again. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We very seldom go to SpeedCo anymore since we have added the OPS1 to our truck. The savings have been tremendous to us and since we can now afford to use synthetic oil that has helped our fuel mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
We very seldom go to SpeedCo anymore since we have added the OPS1 to our truck. The savings have been tremendous to us and since we can now afford to use synthetic oil that has helped our fuel mileage.

miker, you can go to speedco website and call your nearest location.

teamc

had a recent sample pulled? care to share the info?

wht has the mileage done?

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am including the last 6 samples. We had an injector go bad and were getting fuel in the oil at 131,202 so changed the oil for that reason.

Attachments

• Oil Sample.jpg
    Oil Sample.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 19

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter

If your truck engine is still in warranty wouldn't you have to stick to the manufacturers oil and filter change guide lines to keep the engine in warranty. I would think that if you didn't the engine maker could say you did not perform the PM at the proper milage and could void your engine warranty. I know I wouldn't want my warranty voided and be stuck with many thousands of dollars worth of work if In had a major engine failure. Even if the maker of the filter system you use says it won't void the warranty I would check with the engine maker before I skipped a required PM as stated in the engine makers owners manual.

maybe you did check first with the engine maker and they said it was ok, but I would want that in writing.

The OPS1 system is supposed to be good, but I wouldn't want to have my engine warranty voided.

I don't know of any engine maker that would not void a warranty if you needed any kind of engine work done and you haven't followed thier guide lines for PM's.

I could be wrong on this, but when I was thinking of putting a Spinner II bypass system on my dealer said I would still have to follow OEM guide lines on PM's even though the Spinner system would allow me to extend my oil change intervals because it would void my warranty.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is a good idea if you are under warranty to make sure you comply.

Warranty does not affect us as the truck has been paid of several years and out of warranty several years. This is a good thing as we can maintain the truck as it should be maintained and not as the warranty dictates to save as much of the companies money as possible.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
That is a good idea if you are under warranty to make sure you comply.

Warranty does not affect us as the truck has been paid of several years and out of warranty several years. This is a good thing as we can maintain the truck as it should be maintained and not as the warranty dictates to save as much of the companies money as possible.

As long as warranty is not an issue then it might be a good thing. Personally I don't know if I would want to go that long without an oil change. I would have to look at the PSO1's warranty and garranty to see if they stand behind their product incase of engine failure.

What companies money are you talking about?

guido4475

Not a Member
If your truck engine is still in warranty wouldn't you have to stick to the manufacturers oil and filter change guide lines to keep the engine in warranty. I would think that if you didn't the engine maker could say you did not perform the PM at the proper milage and could void your engine warranty. I know I wouldn't want my warranty voided and be stuck with many thousands of dollars worth of work if In had a major engine failure. Even if the maker of the filter system you use says it won't void the warranty I would check with the engine maker before I skipped a required PM as stated in the engine makers owners manual.

maybe you did check first with the engine maker and they said it was ok, but I would want that in writing.

The OPS1 system is supposed to be good, but I wouldn't want to have my engine warranty voided.

I don't know of any engine maker that would not void a warranty if you needed any kind of engine work done and you haven't followed thier guide lines for PM's.

I could be wrong on this, but when I was thinking of putting a Spinner II bypass system on my dealer said I would still have to follow OEM guide lines on PM's even though the Spinner system would allow me to extend my oil change intervals because it would void my warranty.
I have a spinner ll oil centrifuge system on my truck and love it. it does work. it was a factory option.t/a and petro carry the o-rings and paper filter for them.it is well worth the money.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
In 1993 I was running a 3406c Cat engine,useing Amsoil synthetic oil.What the Cat dealer told me was if there were an engine failure and it was do to the oil,then the warantee wouldnt fix the engine.So,with that,I had an oil sample done every month when I changed the oil filters.At 150000 miles was the first the oil showed it needed changed,and it was still better than the regular oil would have been at 15000 miles.That truck was the first truck I ever owned that broke 7 mpg.By the way,Cat did all the oil samples,and was very impressed

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Just had a PM on my new (to me) truck at Speedco, Jackson, Georgia. Great job. I always stay in the bay to keep an eye on things, but I have never had a problem with Speedco. Plus always a break compared to Petro or TA or anyone else for that matter. Saves me well over $60 - $70 dollars every PM.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Speedco paid for the replacement of my trucks high pressure oil pump last year, I had the pump replaced (I'm not convinced the pump was the fault) and during my next visit to Speedco the tech said that Speedco had noted in my trucks history (in their system) that I was to receive a complete PM at no charge....well I couldn't just say COOL! and accept the free PM so I asked what could of happened that made Speedco give away a PM and he said something to do with the viscosity of the rotella oil I'd gotten in Whiteland, In.

I then asked could it have made my oil pump go bad? he then submitted an inquiry to their main office and a couple of days later they called me and we exchanged faxes for proof and in no time I had my check covering the repair.

Customer service said it was Shell Oils Fault and that they would deal with Shell Oil later but wanted to make things right with me now.

And I agree about getting out of the truck and watching them, There's little things I've learned about what works and what wont and I let them know about it!...sometimes they appreciate it and other times they act annoyed...Oh Well!

Today I went to the Speedco in Little Rock to replace my cabin filter and the cashier wouldn't even acknowledge my presence after 15 minutes of my standing at the counter,all this time he was talking to some girl on the phone... I just walked out saying that I've got to get to the west side of town and that I've wasted enough time here! the cashier didn't even bat an eye! well customer service got a call and said they'd address this matter within minutes!...I told the customer service rep. there's a lot of people out there these days begging for a job and that maybe he should start being grateful he has a job! the rep. said who knows? maybe the cashier may become one of those begging for a job in the near future.

mhwhite9977

Seasoned Expediter

This is an absolutely true statement. I always watch their work but I got distracted talking once and they put down inaccurate tread measurements on my tires saying they were at half wear when I only had 1000 miles on them. Also they will not perform the full job as you might inspect. It is expensive out here a truck averags 22 an hr and we spend 92 an hr to repair so get your moneys worth.

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter
I usually use Speedco, but I delivered down here in Laredo, and was told by a friend to come to this truck stop on Mines Rd. called Discount Diesel, boy was I impressed. The service was great. They did a complete PM (class 8 truck) changed oil on my genertor and rotated my steer tires for $230. Last PM @ Speedco was 308 that included gen.and oil anylazis. They speak Spanish but also perfect English. They also have showers here @ the shop that are spotless and big even the vents on the ac were cleaned,and it smelled nice. I will not hesitate to come back. Just thought I would let others know about this place.